Annan defends United Nations as 'vital to humanity'

chewie_nz

Banned
Annan defends United Nations as 'vital to humanity'
23 February 2005

NEW YORK: UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan defended the United Nations, which is beset by scandals from the Iraqi oil programme to sexual abuse by peacekeepers, as "vital to humanity" in the Wall Street Journal yesterday.

"I have served the UN all my life. I have done, and am still doing, everything I can to correct its imperfections, and to improve and strengthen it," he wrote in an opinion piece. "And I believe profoundly in the importance of that task, because a strong UN is of vital importance to humanity."

Annan addressed charges of mismanagement and corruption in the UN's now-defunct Iraqi oil-for-food programme, admitting there were failings while accusing some critics of hyperbole.

US lawmakers and an independent inquiry by former US Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker have uncovered lax management, a shortage of auditors and procurement irregularities but no crimes.

"The interim report of Paul Volcker's independent inquiry has helped put the Oil For Food programme in perspective. Some of the more hyperbolic assertions about it have been proven untrue," Annan wrote in the Journal.

"Yet I am the first to admit that real and troubling failures - ethical lapses and lax management - have been brought to light. I am determined, with the help of member states, to carry through the management reforms which are clearly called for by Mr Volcker's findings," he said.

Annan also addressed the UN probes of allegations against peacekeeping soldiers in the Democratic Republic of Congo of sexual exploitation of women and girls.

"Both the UN Secretariat and the member states have been too slow to realize the extent of this problem, take effective measures to end it, and punish the culprits. But we are now doing so, and I am determined to see it through."

Annan said the UN had demonstrated its importance both in helping with the Asian tsunami disaster relief effort and the war in Iraq.

"The war in Iraq two years ago caused many people on all sides to lose faith in the UN," he wrote.

But he added: "Precisely because the United Nations did not agree on some earlier actions in Iraq, yesterday it has much needed credibility with, and access to, Iraqi groups who must agree to join in the new political process if peace is to prevail.

"The UN can be useful because it is seen as independent and impartial. If it ever came to be seen as a mere instrument or prolongation of US foreign policy, it would be worthless to everyone."

...This is actualy going to be realy good for the debate topic this year...Thanks for posting it.

Also I wouldn't say it is Vital, we survived without much longer than we have survived with it, however it does do some good things.

the UN is corrupt and has become useless. they put like libya in charge of human rights, for crying out loud!

I still can't believe the US is footing like 25% of the bill for the UN after all this Oil-for-Food and anti-Iraq crap. I don't like that my tax dollars that could be going to MY millitary are using to pay the smurfs to sit around and watch genocides happen around them.

Whispering Death said:
I still can't believe the US is footing like 25% of the bill for the UN after all this Oil-for-Food and anti-Iraq crap. I don't like that my tax dollars that could be going to MY millitary are using to pay the smurfs to sit around and watch genocides happen around them.

i have posted this a few times...but the US has not paid it's dues for quite a few years. and remember that the US was quite happy with the UN when it was a forum to discuss issues with the soviet bloc.

the_13th_redneck said:
Maybe like NATO, the UN is going to have to re-define its mission and organization.

they UN needs a massive re-orginisation. Annan needs to go, and it needs to have more teeth.

we need the UN. it does good work, not everything is perfect but also remember it's representative of all nations, maybe this is the reason for anti US feeling?

The UN is an extermely good Aid organisation and are masters of Beurecratic Disasters. I keep bringing up my Uncle who served in Rwanda, but he was working under the dursitiction of the UN. As a result of UN incompetentcy, 800,000 Rwandan's are dead. This is a fact. The soldiers on the ground were ordered not intervene. Why has got me completely stuffed. Probably the workload would force them to stay back at work after 5PM and cancel their holidays.
Re-structure the UN for Aid work, Disaster releif, etc...
But don't let them run Military Operations

Hi,

And on that Curruption Issue maybe ............. It's because some People form the member Countryes are currupt :roll: ........... and those currupt People can be form any country like America or France or India or Any Other .

And it Gives Smaller Countries a Platform to speak out .

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Well if you actualy want to do the math...
27% UN General Fund, 26.69 For Peacekeeping, and around 24% for a court system.

Along with the so called 'billions' clinton sent to the UN, the back-due payments which do not actualy exist.

The Debate topic this year is about the UN so I have had to do a ton of research on it :cry:

chewie_nz said:
Whispering Death said:

i have posted this a few times...but the US has not paid it's dues for quite a few years. and remember that the US was quite happy with the UN when it was a forum to discuss issues with the soviet bloc.

Not true, in 2003 alone the US invested over $3 billion in the UN, with certain programs, like the World Food Program, getting 57% of their funding and goods from the US. The $3 billion doesn't include the over $600 million in cash and material to the peace keeping missions. Check your facts....

Meh, Chewie found a few million dollars here and there they the U.S. is refusing to pay and all of a sudden it's "American isn't paying a cent to the UN!"

Whispering Death said:
Meh, Chewie found a few million dollars here and there they the U.S. is refusing to pay and all of a sudden it's "American isn't paying a cent to the UN!"

yep...all down to me. just puttin it out there to see if it sticks

~or!~ You could google it and see what you find

Guys, give Chewie a break. You should come back with some evidence to disprove his claim. Chewie may have exagerrated, in that the US probably paid, but not quite as much as it was supposed to. Who knows. The facts should be out there so there's no reason for mudslinging.

Yes, also the Belgians who were sent to guard a VIP in Rwanda didn't number much. I know for sure that 10 died. But I can't recall if any survived. What is certain is that nothing little more than a squad was sent to "guard" the VIP. The bad guys show up and their orders from base were to surrender. Great. No, you send at most what, 10 or 12 guys to guard a VIP and not expect them to be surrounded and outnumbered?? The question is, how does anyone that THICK ever rise so high in military command? Your average Tescos truck driver could have come up with a better plan. I know there's a thing about not criticising from a safe place, but there's a limit to that you know?
Just saying, another example of fine UN peacekeeping mission at work.

I think the UN should get rid of its peacekeeping powers and focus on coordinating NGO efforts to relief areas and also continue to work as a world forum of discussion (i.e. a place where people explain why they shouldn't be doing something they should be doing).

Hi,

EU currenty pays 40% of the total UN Budget ............. USA Accounts for Some 25 % of it .

When it Comes to Millitary Contribution well Developing Countries Accounts for Almost all of the Forces.

UN Peacekeeping Contributors List 2005

Check the List it's fregging strange .............. Some of the Poorest Countries provide the Bulk of it .

Peace
-=SF_13=-

Yeah thats one of Peacekeepings biggest problems, another is the fact that cannot get the correct amount of funding for the missions, and the biggest problem is a few group believe the right to do peacekeeping operations should be taken away from the SC and a New Council should be formed.

Yeah, but that's not exactly fair since the U.S. does a good amount of the military on its own accord like Bosnia, Yougoslavia, Korea...

chewie_nz said:
Whispering Death said:

yep...all down to me. just puttin it out there to see if it sticks

~or!~ You could google it and see what you find

I am not picking on you, just check you facts, I have those facts from the internet dated in 2003, just watch when you do a search since the data on the net can be dated at times.

http://www.un.int/usa/03budget1118.htm

There is also the fact that part of the delays in payment are the calendar/fiscal year issues.

Back