--
Boots

February 25th, 2005  
Lil Hulk 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Death
I still can't believe the US is footing like 25% of the bill for the UN after all this Oil-for-Food and anti-Iraq crap. I don't like that my tax dollars that could be going to MY millitary are using to pay the smurfs to sit around and watch genocides happen around them.
i have posted this a few times...but the US has not paid it's dues for quite a few years. and remember that the US was quite happy with the UN when it was a forum to discuss issues with the soviet bloc.
Not true, in 2003 alone the US invested over $3 billion in the UN, with certain programs, like the World Food Program, getting 57% of their funding and goods from the US. The $3 billion doesn't include the over $600 million in cash and material to the peace keeping missions. Check your facts....
February 25th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Meh, Chewie found a few million dollars here and there they the U.S. is refusing to pay and all of a sudden it's "American isn't paying a cent to the UN!"
February 25th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Quote:
Meh, Chewie found a few million dollars here and there they the U.S. is refusing to pay and all of a sudden it's "American isn't paying a cent to the UN!"
yep...all down to me. just puttin it out there to see if it sticks

~or!~ You could google it and see what you find
--
Boots
February 25th, 2005  
A Can of Man

Guys, give Chewie a break. You should come back with some evidence to disprove his claim. Chewie may have exagerrated, in that the US probably paid, but not quite as much as it was supposed to. Who knows. The facts should be out there so there's no reason for mudslinging.

Yes, also the Belgians who were sent to guard a VIP in Rwanda didn't number much. I know for sure that 10 died. But I can't recall if any survived. What is certain is that nothing little more than a squad was sent to "guard" the VIP. The bad guys show up and their orders from base were to surrender. Great. No, you send at most what, 10 or 12 guys to guard a VIP and not expect them to be surrounded and outnumbered?? The question is, how does anyone that THICK ever rise so high in military command? Your average Tescos truck driver could have come up with a better plan. I know there's a thing about not criticising from a safe place, but there's a limit to that you know?
Just saying, another example of fine UN peacekeeping mission at work.

I think the UN should get rid of its peacekeeping powers and focus on coordinating NGO efforts to relief areas and also continue to work as a world forum of discussion (i.e. a place where people explain why they shouldn't be doing something they should be doing).
February 25th, 2005  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

EU currenty pays 40% of the total UN Budget ............. USA Accounts for Some 25 % of it .

When it Comes to Millitary Contribution well Developing Countries Accounts for Almost all of the Forces.

UN Peacekeeping Contributors List 2005

Check the List it's fregging strange .............. Some of the Poorest Countries provide the Bulk of it .

Peace
-=SF_13=-
February 25th, 2005  
Darcia

Yeah thats one of Peacekeepings biggest problems, another is the fact that cannot get the correct amount of funding for the missions, and the biggest problem is a few group believe the right to do peacekeeping operations should be taken away from the SC and a New Council should be formed.
February 25th, 2005  
Whispering Death

Yeah, but that's not exactly fair since the U.S. does a good amount of the military on its own accord like Bosnia, Yougoslavia, Korea...
February 26th, 2005  
Lil Hulk 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewie_nz
Quote:
yep...all down to me. just puttin it out there to see if it sticks

~or!~ You could google it and see what you find
I am not picking on you, just check you facts, I have those facts from the internet dated in 2003, just watch when you do a search since the data on the net can be dated at times.

http://www.un.int/usa/03budget1118.htm

There is also the fact that part of the delays in payment are the calendar/fiscal year issues.