Animal Rights

The Other Guy

Spam King
Okay, I'm bored to death. No one else is really on here right now. So, time to start a new argument.

ANIMAL RIGHTS

What made me think of this was PETA's complaints about the way the Kentucky Derby went this year. Now, I'm a horse person, but they're claims are rediculous. Animal rights is a term that's been thrown around so much that it has nothing to do with the rights of the animals anymore.

I think they're all insane. What do other people think, what are your beliefs on animals (humane treatment, etc.) and what ... yeah?

(Random tidbit here: If groups like that are all for the rights of animals, then why do they support spay/neuter groups? Is that REALLY what the animals want? Do you really think that they want to be castrated? I think not.)

I'm not sure about PETA's issue about the Kentucky Derby but in general I support most things they (PETA) do. Animals are living things too, they feel pain just like us. If someone kicks a dog until something breaks what makes that worse than doing it to a human?

In general people who hurt animals are not good people. Odds are if they have no qualms about laying into an animal they'll have no problem doing that to a human either. To use an example, recently in Australia there was a news story about how some kids in a car chased down a woman & her dogs, running over one & then backing back over it. If you think that someone like that can operate in normal society without reform you need to adjust the way your viewing the world. It's just sick.

As always, my honest opinion.

PETA - People for the Eating of Tasty Animals!

Animals have a right to be tasty and provide me with warm fur.

'Nuff Said....

I'm not sure about PETA's issue about the Kentucky Derby but in general I support most things they (PETA) do. Animals are living things too, they feel pain just like us. If someone kicks a dog until something breaks what makes that worse than doing it to a human?

In general people who hurt animals are not good people. Odds are if they have no qualms about laying into an animal they'll have no problem doing that to a human either. To use an example, recently in Australia there was a news story about how some kids in a car chased down a woman & her dogs, running over one & then backing back over it. If you think that someone like that can operate in normal society without reform you need to adjust the way your viewing the world. It's just sick.

As always, my honest opinion.

I think it is more a case of people having a responsibility toward animals than a case of animals having rights.
However as with most groups they start out with a good idea and gradually become fanatics.

I think it is more a case of people having a responsibility toward animals than a case of animals having rights.
However as with most groups they start out with a good idea and gradually become fanatics.

Good point.

Don't get me wrong, i'm no fanatic about animal rights or anything like that. I eat meat (Even Veal, I'm a bad man) & all the trimmings that go along with being a regular person. I just have no respect for cowards who hurt animals just for the sake of hurting them. Something which we hear too much of, in Australia anyway.

I think the concept of animal rights is kind of ridiculous. PETA act as though animals don't kill and eat each other on a daily basis. Sometimes they kill each other just for the sake of killing (especially chimpanzees). They're animals. Nature is savage and wild. We're part of the food chain as well, we just happen to be at the top (when armed).

I just can't bring myself to care too much about animals, though I do think it is totally evil and sadistic to put them through unnecessary suffering if you're going to kill them.

That being said, if someone were to intentionally hurt my friends' pets there'd be hell to pay.

I think part of the problem has been that in order to prosecute people mistreating animals they had to effectively give them rights via the law which were then picked up by these "protection groups" and blown all out of proportion.

Chaser actually has a point here.

Most serial killers like Bundy and Dalmer got started by torturing animals before moving to bigger game. Thats why cruelty should be punished.

Other times PETA exaggerates. Unless its proven that 8 Belles was raced despite the knowledge that this race would result in her euthanasia, otherwise its just an unfortunate accident.

My understanding of horse racing is limited, but from what I hear this type of accident is extremely rare.

Other times PETA exaggerates. Unless its proven that 8 Belles was raced despite the knowledge that this race would result in her euthanasia, otherwise its just an unfortunate accident.

My understanding of horse racing is limited, but from what I hear this type of accident is extremely rare.

This is a little off topic but I have no real idea of what PETA was protesting about the Kentucky Derby but from mmarsh's post I get the idea. I don't understand why a trainer would willingly race a horse if they knew that it would have to be euthanised after the race. Racing Horses don't grow on trees nor are they cheap, along with the huge time investment.

Seems like PETA over-reacting to me.

This is a little off topic but I have no real idea of what PETA was protesting about the Kentucky Derby but from mmarsh's post I get the idea. I don't understand why a trainer would willingly race a horse if they knew that it would have to be euthanised after the race. Racing Horses don't grow on trees nor are they cheap, along with the huge time investment.

Seems like PETA over-reacting to me.

Allow me to reexplain:

The allegation was that the horse was in no condition to run due to a previous injury, and that the owners ran her anyway. They didn't expect the horse would get injured this way so they took a gamble and lost, (as did the horse). You can see the temptation to take such a risk, as a Kentucky Derby win is worth Millions in Prize, Punting, Advertising, and Studing monies. If its true, punish the owners. Its cruel to the animal and tarnishes the sport.

PETA doesnt like horse racing, so its entirely possible they are trying to bring the opposition to horse racing to a public light.

In Holland a bill was passed recently prohibiting sex with animals. The fact that there should be a law on this subject disturbes me..... but it was necessary. :s

Sports players get forced to run through their injuries pretty often. What makes you think a horse would get any better treatment?

As for animal rights, all I have to say is this: be respectful.

As for animal rights people, I think they are for the most part, crazy. They think animals are some kind of peace loving creatures who know no violence, who are gentle, well mannered and are never selfish. It is a fantasy born from their hate of other people and their inability to socialize effectively. In many ways, it's a sympathy for the weak that has gone way overboard.
They always want it "natural."
Truth is nature is NOT peace, rather it is the opposite.
They fail to realize that people settled in societies with rules BECAUSE they wanted peace from the constant fighting.

May they never buy any medicine either by the way.

Also, these same people often like these "oriental medicines" because they think that it was invented through meditation. In ancient China, they used to cut up live death-row prisoners to study the anatomy of the human being. Not cadavers, LIVE people because they knew that the vital systems for life would be hard to detect if their subject was dead. THAT'S how Chinese medicine was developed.

Allow me to reexplain:

The allegation was that the horse was in no condition to run due to a previous injury, and that the owners ran her anyway. They didn't expect the horse would get injured this way so they took a gamble and lost, (as did the horse). You can see the temptation to take such a risk, as a Kentucky Derby win is worth Millions in Prize, Punting, Advertising, and Studing monies. If its true, punish the owners. Its cruel to the animal and tarnishes the sport.

PETA doesnt like horse racing, so its entirely possible they are trying to bring the opposition to horse racing to a public light.

Agreed.

The true allegation was that the jockey ran the horse beyond the breaking point. Which is total bull, because she broke down AFTER the race had ended.

I wonder if there is a home somewhere for old race horses. I feel bad for them, running their whole lives only to receive a bullet to the head...

I wonder if there is a home somewhere for old race horses. I feel bad for them, running their whole lives only to receive a bullet to the head...
It's called a stud farm... "duties" 25-100 times a year for the rest of your life doesn't sound so bad. And most only race until about age 7. They live about 20 years.

And for those who don't do that, there are retirement homes of sorts.

That may be true but for the most part we don't shoot athletes with broken legs.

Is it true that a horse can never really move again if it breaks its leg or is that a rumor?

Also, you are right. But this would be the perfect time to send it to a restaurant.

Is it true that a horse can never really move again if it breaks its leg or is that a rumor?
That's a rumor. There have been horses who have injured themselves and survived just fine. In the 1999 Belmont Stakes, the Kentucky Derby winner Charismatic broke a leg, but he's still alive.

I believe that certain animals are here to be eaten, and certain animals are here for work.
I do NOT believe that ANY animal should have to suffer, when I hunt I go for a clean shot, instant death for my target. I don't and wil never hunt for sport or for fun. I don't know if the Kentucky derby people could have saved that horse' life or not, not a vet, not my place to comment, BUT I do believe that that more could have been done to prevent the horse from falling down in the first place.

I have to say this about the law against sex with animals, there should not be a law against it, that should be plain common sense eeeewwwwww. If you ever catch somebody doing that, just shoot them in the head and get it over with.

Last edited:
Back