Analysis: Nairobi attack may trigger tighter security at malls worldwide

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
By Ilaina Jonas and Mark Hosenball (Reuters) - The deadly attack on a high-end Nairobi shopping mall on Saturday put the safety of malls around the world into the spotlight and could trigger moves to improve security and make it more visible. "They're obviously going to ramp up security," said Malachy Kavanagh, a spokesman for the International Council of Shopping Centers, a U.S.-based trade group of mall and shopping center owners, adding that he expected the U.S. ...

More...

Yep, some overweight "security guard with an old service revolver is gunna strike sheer terror into the heart of Al Quaeda trained and backed hit team.

Hehe that reminded me of my first visit to the USA after Sept 11 (it was a couple of days after they resumed flights), I landed at LAX and was passing through screening into the domestic departure lounge for an on flight to Phoenix.

There was what I assume to have been a National Guard person at the door and while waiting in line to go through I looked at her, she was about 5 foot tall, "maybe" a bit less than 300lb and carried a rifle that was unloaded (no magazine to be seen) and for a fleeting moment I thought to myself "I could probably have out run her while carrying my luggage and still had time for a drink in the lounge".

Then I realised there were only about 6 other people in the terminal a blind man and his guide dog would have been able to ID me.

It is just one of those weird moments that sticks with you...
:)

Back