Analysis: Military imbalance in the Taiwan Strait

rock45

Analysis: Military imbalance in the Taiwan Strait
HONG KONG, Aug. 31
ANDREI CHANG

Column: Military Might
During the past seven to 10 years China's rapid buildup of military power has tipped the balance in the Taiwan Strait strongly in its favor. Since 1999, when former Taiwan President Lee Teng-hui announced his "two states" theory -- daring to say that the People's Republic of China and the Republic of China are two different states, precipitating the PRC's aggressive stance against the island's independence -- there have been drastic changes in the balance of military power on the two sides. This includes the navies, air forces, and strategic campaign missiles, or ballistic missiles. The Taiwanese air force has not added a single new combat aircraft since 1999. It still has 148 F-16 Block 15 MTU, 58 Mirage2000-5 and 130 IDF fighters in service. The total number of its third generation fighters has remained around 336 over the past seven years. On the sea, the navy has added only four Kidd-class DDGs, the largest arms procurement since the Democratic Progressive Party came to power in 2000.

Full story
http://www.upiasiaonline.com/security/2007/08/31/analysis_military_imbalance_in_the_taiwan_strait/

space

I watch that space all the time but I think Japan would be a better target and asset to take away. In ten years time the way China spending Japan will be in danger and aren't US computer chips for high tech weapons and other goodies made in Japan? What a good way to get at the US then to take out a key asset like Japan and China has long memories of WW-II still. It would also be a military asset for China to be on Russia's flank too. I know it's a little off the wall way of thinking but I'm taking 10/15 years from now. Japan is the US last Pacific strong hold too take away our bases there and the US military might be a little hampered in the region.

Back