Amoured Recce (or Recon in American)

Cdt Matteo

I have received an award for exellence from the CO and RSM of the Royal Canadian Dragoons. I am the 73rd to receive this award and the only cadet to ever receive it. Because I represent the RCD (Royal Canadian Dragoons) in the RCAC (Royal Canadian Army Cadets), I've decided to join Armour in a few years (hopefully become an Armour Officer through the Royal Military College). The regiment which I want to join, RCD, is an Armoured Recce regiment, mostly composed of LAVS and Coyotes.

If anyone has any info on Armoured Recce please do share.

Thank you, Cpl. Matteo

I suggest checking out the CF/DND website. It might give some information.

Also, congratulations.

The US Army doesn't really have Armored Recon per se. Mainly the US Army uses scouts (MOS 19D). The scouts can be trained for light operations (HMMWV's) or heavy (APC's, Usually Bradleys). US Army doesn't use armored cars anymore and scouts have to be well versed in a large number of soldier skills.

If you want the army's take on reconnaisance you will have to enlist because the FM that the US Army trains to is a restricted publication. There are two FM's that you should be able to get as they are unrestriced, they are FM17-95 Cavalry Operations and FM17-97 Cavalry Troop. Most of the official pubs on Cavalry and Scout operations are restricted. There might be other manuals you can get from other countries. Good luck and Congratualtions.

Did some time in an LAR years ago but as a dismount. Don't know what help I'd be, other than to say I loved dismounting the LAV as opposed to riding in it.

When I was a loader on my CO's tank, the gunner got car sick. So everytime we had to use evasive manuvers he would get sick all over the inside of the tank. Boy that was fun.

Back