America's Support For Israel Under Fire

WarMachine said:
Despite some views as America being "world police", i think that's just exaggeration. We might have the largest global military presence, but we don't penalize many countries for doing things we don't like, i.e. North Korea which we never do anything meaningful about. We shouldn't be viewed as an authority since that would breed contempt from less powerful nations and emerging powers, we ought to be cooperating and being more diplomatic.

Interesting that you should mention N Korea, the last i read about that issue (and it WAS sometime ago), it was something to the tune of, why the US wont do anything major, because of China. All said and done China is no push over and is economically important to the US.

No offense to you WARMachine, but personally i feel the sentence like "we dont penalise many countries for doing things we dont like..." sums up the arrogant high handedness of US foreign policy that many outside don't appreciate.
That said, you've made valid points.

Also intersting that ASTRAL used 'world police' as i have only heard it being used contemptously!

ASTRALdragon said:
So, how could the US or the world deal with these types of issues keeping in respect to the customs and cultures of these nations? Sanctions? Withhold food aid? Hold diplomatic meetings while wearing the traditional attire of those nations? .....

It's my fault that I could not address the point very clearly. Anyway, I feel, we both realize that the current international configuration and mechanisms,which was set up before WII based on Yalta conference,work more and more uneffectively when facing the current situation.

Your American's way is more forthright just like your character,hehe,not like our China people that like to deal with things in middle ways. I don't mean which is bad or good, just two kinds of character.

fingolfin361 said:
Interesting that you should mention N Korea, the last i read about that issue (and it WAS sometime ago), it was something to the tune of, why the US wont do anything major, because of China. All said and done China is no push over and is economically important to the US.

No offense to you WARMachine, but personally i feel the sentence like "we dont penalise many countries for doing things we dont like..." sums up the arrogant high handedness of US foreign policy that many outside don't appreciate.
That said, you've made valid points.

Also intersting that ASTRAL used 'world police' as i have only heard it being used contemptously!

Your comments are more forthright than mine,hehe.

Last edited by a moderator:
b2ee said:
Your American's way is more forthright just like your character,hehe,not like our China people that like to deal with things in middle ways. I don't mean which is bad or good, just two kinds of character.

I think I know what you're trying to say. Americans have a more direct approach to problems and people whereas Asians and their face-saving ways are more indirect. Asians will not directly ask you to do something. They'll hint at it and hope you get the point. It's a trait I see in many Asians I interact with (I'm of Asian descent myself so I'm surrounded by first generation family members who show this "Asian trait").

Indirect like japan "hinting" at starting a war with china back in the 1930s? I think i agree with that most asian countries aren't upfront with their requests because of the society they come from, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But an asian country can be very agressive when it wants to be like North Korea.

Back