Americans troops in Japan

FlyingFrog

The American troops were first stationing in Japan as Occupying Forces after defeating Japan in WW2.

Is the American Troop still an Occupying Forces?
If not, when did it "officially" change the name of "Occupying Troops" to some another name?

And Japan upto now after 60 years losing the war, is still not a Normal Country? What is an un-normal country? A kind of "slave" country or something similar? or Colony country? I bet only japan is such an un-normal country, while now Germany, Italy they all become normal country and have their independent right to rule their countries, but why Japan still being treated as a second-class unnormal country?

What sounds funny to me is that even Taiwan government urges japan to stand up and become a "Normal" country 2 days ago.

Japanese FM presses case for reducing US military presence
http://www.spacewar.com/2004/041007205315.ah1g8qnk.html

Conversely, Japan has never admitted to any wrongdoing whatsoever in World War II. Germany and Italy have formally appologize for attrocities. Japan won't admit there were any. Its a noteworthy sidenote.

The number of US troops there are not really sufficent to fill the role of "Occupation Force." I'm not Japanese, so I don't know what they as a people think about it. In the long run, the "no offensive military" clause in their Constitution becomes less and less relevant to the modern world. I do believe that US troops primary purpose is as a deterent to invasion by China or anyone else in the neighborhood.

I never knew there was still controversy over Japan and the war I thought it all was sorted out like Italy and Germany as you said godofthunder.

Shadowalker said:
What do you mean Japan is an un-normal country?

A not-normal country is a not completely independent country.
They can't do this, can't do that, etc, their way of life (as a nation) is controlled by USA.

The Japanese government calls theirselves an un-normal country, don't you know.

FlyingFrog said:
Shadowalker said:
What do you mean Japan is an un-normal country?

A not-normal country is a not completely independent country.
They can't do this, can't do that, etc, their way of life (as a nation) is controlled by USA.

The Japanese government calls theirselves an un-normal country, don't you know.

No i didnt know that, very strange! I knew the US was very influential to them but no that influential.

KAMIKAZI said:
I never knew there was still controversy over Japan and the war I thought it all was sorted out like Italy and Germany as you said godofthunder.
They refuse to teach any of the attrocities committed by Japan in WW2 in their schools for one thing. I have a topic on this in Military History section. There were some people executed, similar to the Nuremburg trials, but the requirement that the trials "must not involve the Emperor" severely handicapped things. Women taken as sexual slaves and raped up to 40 times a day for up to 8 years (Comfort Women and there were at least 100,000 of them) have never received any acknowledgement of their grievance and no appology from the Japanese government. One of many cases of Japan turning a blind eye.

At least Germany has owned up to the past, in a society such as we live in today i cant see how japan cant own up to these atrocities that were commited

I agree. Japan can not be completely independent nation until we move out, but we must first allow Japan to build up a military to properly defend itself. It is ridiculous that we discourage the Japanese from owning nuclear weapons; rather, we should sell a few of our older nukes at bargain prices. The region is way to unstable not to… In doing this we will show good-will to the Japanese people, and we will no longer need to defend them. :D

I dont see a reason US want Japan to become a "normal" country.

I think everytime US praise Japan because they will requet Japan pay some war bills for them :lol:

And US won't withdraw troops in near future, definitly won't unless the US completely decieved by Japan.

If I were Japanese,I will remember it is US nuke Japan twice---no matter it is for good or for bad. Once you mention anything related to Japan's that history, they all just shut up immediately----you know what, they must be thinking about something if they dnot want to talk about that. ;)

Shadowalker said:
At least Germany has owned up to the past, in a society such as we live in today i cant see how japan cant own up to these atrocities that were commited
Best explanation I've ever heard was, "You just don't comprehend Oriental thinking." In other words, no good explanation at all.

whosewar-more people died in fire bombing of japanese cities than from the nukes. I think they are so pacifistic now they dont even consider revange.

SHERMAN said:
whosewar-more people died in fire bombing of japanese cities than from the nukes. I think they are so pacifistic now they dont even consider revange.

oh yeah, know more people killed by Japanese.

But, as matter of fact, Anybody here know any Japanese agree with that?
Instead, most Japanese think WWII is their honor to liberate Aisan from western and they were unfortunately defeated by US. They are still honoring their war crime every year, from prime minister to normal Japanese. so...what do you think?

don't think other people think like you think :lol:

Wolf is always wolf, just a matter of time, when they bit you again.

Obviously as a Korean I do have my severe reservations about the past and the textbook issues but I see the threat from North Korea and China big enough to make these things we're just going to have to get over.
Officially the politicians don't apologize etc. but I've had a load of Japanese friends growing up and they know about it and they know it's wrong. On the other hand I tell them there is no reason for them to apologize to me because they did not do it and they don't have any control over what happened over 50 years ago.

Instead of tiptoeing around it why dont you guys just post topics like "we hate America" or "America is evil".

Ummm, Japan is a abnormal country... it's not like Sudan, and it's not like Guatamala, or Belarus.... it's, like Japan, eith it's own history.

The Japanese has taken more from the US than any other nation in the world, cept perhaps China, culturally and politically. But the feeling between the US and Japan is mutual, they made us more Eastern, we made them more western. Who got more out of this cultural exchange? American bussinessmen runing around with quoting Sun Tzu and Miyamoto Musashi, little kids pretending to be ninja's and taking karate and aikido classes, shared musical influences from Europe and each other, etc. I mean, damn, if the US is nuked tommorow and no American survives, I can remain confident American culture will survive in it's 51st state; as well as vice versa, if Japan is hit by the mother of all tsunamis and then godzilla run's amuck killing all the survivors, it can be confident that it too will survive in it's North American colony. Perhaps living in China prohibits you from relising just how closely the Japanese and American cultures have assimilated. We're definately not identical, but we do feel right at home in each other's country.

Perhaps living in China prohibits you from relising just how closely the Japanese and American cultures have assimilated

Good laugh, a often brain-washed man would easily think others are brain-washed or having very limited access to outside world info.

Japanese and American cultures have assimilated, very interesting, first time heard about this, can be treated as a good joke :D

FlyingFrog said:
Perhaps living in China prohibits you from relising just how closely the Japanese and American cultures have assimilated

Good laugh, a often brain-washed man would easily think others are brain-washed or having very limited access to outside world info.

Japanese and American cultures have assimilated, very interesting, first time heard about this, can be treated as a good joke :D

Calm yourself.

Back