Americans troops in Japan

--

October 8th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Topic: Americans troops in Japan

The American troops were first stationing in Japan as Occupying Forces after defeating Japan in WW2.

Is the American Troop still an Occupying Forces?
If not, when did it "officially" change the name of "Occupying Troops" to some another name?

And Japan upto now after 60 years losing the war, is still not a Normal Country? What is an un-normal country? A kind of "slave" country or something similar? or Colony country? I bet only japan is such an un-normal country, while now Germany, Italy they all become normal country and have their independent right to rule their countries, but why Japan still being treated as a second-class unnormal country?

What sounds funny to me is that even Taiwan government urges japan to stand up and become a "Normal" country 2 days ago.

Japanese FM presses case for reducing US military presence
http://www.spacewar.com/2004/041007205315.ah1g8qnk.html
October 8th, 2004  
Shadowalker

What do you mean Japan is an un-normal country?
October 8th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Conversely, Japan has never admitted to any wrongdoing whatsoever in World War II. Germany and Italy have formally appologize for attrocities. Japan won't admit there were any. Its a noteworthy sidenote.

The number of US troops there are not really sufficent to fill the role of "Occupation Force." I'm not Japanese, so I don't know what they as a people think about it. In the long run, the "no offensive military" clause in their Constitution becomes less and less relevant to the modern world. I do believe that US troops primary purpose is as a deterent to invasion by China or anyone else in the neighborhood.
--
October 8th, 2004  
KAMIKAZI

I never knew there was still controversy over Japan and the war I thought it all was sorted out like Italy and Germany as you said godofthunder.
October 8th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowalker
A not-normal country is a not completely independent country.
They can't do this, can't do that, etc, their way of life (as a nation) is controlled by USA.

The Japanese government calls theirselves an un-normal country, don't you know.
October 8th, 2004  
Shadowalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFrog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowalker
A not-normal country is a not completely independent country.
They can't do this, can't do that, etc, their way of life (as a nation) is controlled by USA.

The Japanese government calls theirselves an un-normal country, don't you know.
No i didnt know that, very strange! I knew the US was very influential to them but no that influential.
October 8th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMIKAZI
I never knew there was still controversy over Japan and the war I thought it all was sorted out like Italy and Germany as you said godofthunder.
They refuse to teach any of the attrocities committed by Japan in WW2 in their schools for one thing. I have a topic on this in Military History section. There were some people executed, similar to the Nuremburg trials, but the requirement that the trials "must not involve the Emperor" severely handicapped things. Women taken as sexual slaves and raped up to 40 times a day for up to 8 years (Comfort Women and there were at least 100,000 of them) have never received any acknowledgement of their grievance and no appology from the Japanese government. One of many cases of Japan turning a blind eye.
October 8th, 2004  
Shadowalker

At least Germany has owned up to the past, in a society such as we live in today i cant see how japan cant own up to these atrocities that were commited
October 8th, 2004  
ravensword227

I agree. Japan can not be completely independent nation until we move out, but we must first allow Japan to build up a military to properly defend itself. It is ridiculous that we discourage the Japanese from owning nuclear weapons; rather, we should sell a few of our older nukes at bargain prices. The region is way to unstable not to… In doing this we will show good-will to the Japanese people, and we will no longer need to defend them.
October 8th, 2004  
whosewar2000

I dont see a reason US want Japan to become a "normal" country.

I think everytime US praise Japan because they will requet Japan pay some war bills for them

And US won't withdraw troops in near future, definitly won't unless the US completely decieved by Japan.

If I were Japanese,I will remember it is US nuke Japan twice---no matter it is for good or for bad. Once you mention anything related to Japan's that history, they all just shut up immediately----you know what, they must be thinking about something if they dnot want to talk about that.