Americans troops in Japan

I think that saying Japan has adopted American Culture can be true to a point - they took what they liked and discarded the rest. They are still a very very different culture from the United States. Calling them the 51st state is probably taking it all much too far.

Hey, I heard that from a Japanese girl back in college. And trust me, America has done a lot of Assimulating, I grew up on quasi-Japanese cartoons like Ninja Turtles, and my brother is on that Yugi-ho stuff, we play the same videogame and systems, and watch many of the same movies, they gave us easter philosophies and we gave them Western ones. For a while there I think the Japanese even owned Rockerfeller Center.

Their also very influencial in many other countires, like Peru.

Yes, but the supposition that the United States is complete control of Japan -- that part I don't agree with. Japan controlls itself. The best evidence of that is Japan's stubborness in acknowledging their warcrimes from WW2. Its the most un-American thing imaginable.

Ok...

Godofthunder touched the most important (or the only) points why the US wont pull out of Japan! No formal apologies and flat out deny what it did to the Asian countries. They even tried to change history text books to proclaim it was a righteous war against China and other Asian countries.

So with this mentality, how would you justify to allow Japan to have nukes?

Back to red_neck_13. Yes, your Japanese friends don't need to apologize what happended 6 decades ago. You guys developed genuine friendship based on knowing, understand and trust each others. However, Japanese government never layout the plans of reconcile with its neighbors except pumping money and investments. Let me ask you, can money buy long lasting friendship?

Talking about assimilation, it is funny. The US, a multiculture country does assimilate well. However, Japanese society is thousands miles away from what your version of assimilation. Please do research on how Japanese treat foreigners? Yes including Whites (apologize using that word). From reading Japan disscussion board, alot of Amercians, Aussies and other Europeans whom live there, I can sense lot of anger towards inequalities in Japanese society. There are even lawsuits in this matter.

Koreans and Chinese are the worst victim in this inequalities. Chinese are percieved as gansters who come to Japan to do sell drugs and build brothels. Koreans are percieved as second class citizens. I forgot the link to the disscussion but please check www.japantoday.com.

Please do research how Japanese society supports segregation. Yes, they do have notices that refuse to serve foreigners "gaijin" or (Japanese only) in public bath house and many other public installations. Japan is no where near assimilating with others. I live with a native born Japanese. he expressed how Japanese society refused to learn English, French, German, Chinese and anything foreign (culture) after the war. Please do check their (native Japanese) foreign language and culture literacies against yours. I guarantee yours will be way higher than theirs.

It is all about learning theirs but not others. Please do check the assimilation theory in Japanese society not the hiphop scene. Eventhough Americans do find anything Japanese interesting, however it is another way around with treating "gaijins" in Japan (society overall).

I do apologize turing this threat into a sociology topic. However, with "mentality of a 12 year old" (McArthur), I just don't see why Japan should be allowed to have nukes. I understand the one of the reasoning behind American stationing in Japan besides marginalizing China.

Gaijin = Foregners

dude, many Japanese know English, and Roman script has practically become the fourth component to the Japanese written language. I know about the limitations on foreigners in Japanese sex houses, and don't really care, since most Americans don't support such places.

The US is accused of many of the same things you accused Japan.... I've watched Japanese television and seen many Japanese magizines. And I can guarantee you I wouldn't be treated as a second class citizen there, I know people who've served there and got along rather nice. It's the land of baseball.

I'd be willing to see Japan as a candidate for being a permanent member of the Security Council. They are the second greatest economic power on earth. I think that it should be considered on the basis of full disclosure of warcrimes and steps towards reconciliation. Most of their surviving victims are very old or dead of old age, but what is so terribly wrong about admitting to having done something wrong?

#2 of NOW does not mean too much to me.

Today's #2 can drop to tomorrow's #6, things change very fast in the history, I read articles about this fact: China's GDP of 200 years ago was about 40% of the entire world, so what? Now, China is far behind the #1, but well, we will come back to TOP again and soon.

Back to Topic:
I read somewhere the the "Occupation of Japan by USA" was ended somewhere in 1955 or so?

Just because we have marines in japan doesent mean they are occupied. We have troops in over 100 countries. Does that mean we occupy most of the world? Japan being ranked at #2 is allot better then China not to mention they are a fraction of the size so id say thats pretty impressive. Allot of countries DONT want us to remove our troops because they contribute greatly to their economy. Take a look at some German news papers where mayors are begging us not to remove our troops because their local economy would be ruined.

Back