Americans are ignorant on 1st Amendment Rights

Duty Honor Country

1 out of 4 Americans could name just one freedom.
1 out of 1,000 could name all 5 freedoms.
over half of the people polled could name at least 2 members of the simpson cartoon family.
22% of the people polled could name all 5 members of the Simpsons.

This really makes me wonder about how Americans are today. If we, as a whole, are this ignorant about the 1st Amendment Rights and know more about American Idol and the Simpsons, can we really take people serious when they argue about such things as the Patriot Act infringing on our so called rights?

Study: More know 'The Simpsons' than First Amendment rights

CHICAGO (AP) — Americans apparently know more about The Simpsons than they do about the First Amendment.

Only one in four Americans can name more than one of the five freedoms guaranteed by the First Amendment (freedom of speech, religion, press, assembly and petition for redress of grievances.) But more than half can name at least two members of the cartoon family, according to a survey.

The study by the new McCormick Tribune Freedom Museum found that 22% of Americans could name all five Simpson family members, compared with just one in 1,000 people who could name all five First Amendment freedoms.
Joe Madeira, director of exhibitions at the museum, said he was surprised by the results.

"Part of the survey really shows there are misconceptions, and part of our mission is to clear up these misconceptions," said Madeira, whose museum will be dedicated to helping visitors understand the First Amendment when it opens in April. "It means we have our job cut out for us."

The survey found more people could name the three American Idol judges than identify three First Amendment rights. They were also more likely to remember popular advertising slogans.

It also showed that people misidentified First Amendment rights. About one in five people thought the right to own a pet was protected, and 38% said they believed the right against self-incrimination contained in the Fifth Amendment was a First Amendment right, the survey found.

The telephone survey of 1,000 adults was conducted Jan. 20-22 by the research firm Synovate and had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-03-01-freedom-poll_x.htm

Well, I guess I'm 1 out of 2000. Because I can name all of the first ten amendments of the Bill of Rights.

I saw some thing about this on CNN

I think it has some thing to do with the Education System. Doesnt it?

na...it is happenning everywhere....
like in Canada, not many people can list their charter of rights and freedom...

people start to take these rights for granted...i guess that is the problem

phoenix80 said:

its probably more to do with shifting values.
if you want to know it you will teach yourself. if you dont, you wont

what does memorising it do, other than give you an opportunity to look down on others and berate them for thier lack of nationalism

phoenix80 said:

I don't think so, it is still taught in school. I'm not aware of any school that doesn't spend a good amount of time it.

Like someone else said, I think it's values and the fact that for most people, it's just "how things are." They take their freedoms for granted.

When I took the test online, 87% got them right. Someone is pulling our leg. But, I'm losing faith rapidly. A schoolroom in Illinois has been told to remove a picture of Gen. Washington praying for guidance at Valley Forge. Go figure.

5.56X45mm said:
Well, I guess I'm 1 out of 2000. Because I can name all of the first ten amendments of the Bill of Rights.

THE FIRST TEN?

do you know the last ten of the bill of rights?
:m16shoot:

1. freedom of speech, religion, petition, press, assembly
2. right to bear arms
3. housing of soldiers
4. searches and seizures
5. being a witness against yourself and eminent domain
6. trial rights
7. trials involving money or property
8. cruel and unusual punishment
9. rights not listed in the constitution
10. rights not listed are granted to the states

:cool:

Just like those German spies who were caught during WWII because they knew every line to the star-spangled banner where as most Americans know only the first verse, at best.

Anyways, I knew all except the petition part, I kind of consider that protesting but hey, now I know.

I can name all of my rights ... but ... what the dingbat difference does it make if all Americans can't? ...

Violate just one of their rights and I guarantee %99.9 of the Americans I know will damn sure have your ass in court in a splinute. For sure some group somewhere will step up to the plate to ensure the person or group that violated your rights end up in jail or end up paying a whopping court settlement.

Most Americans understand that the Constitution is not a 'static' document but a 'living' document that has changed through time to represent our democratic/representative way of life and mirrors the interpretation of this philosophy.

Unfortunately most Americans only care if it will help them or their cause. Most Americans, it seems to me, are so self centered in their own ideals and beliefs that they have little room for anything that does not benefit them or follow their personal beliefs.

Abortion
Social Security
Gun Control
War
Peace
Gay Marriage
Taxes

The list can go on and on. The point is that unless it directly affects them they could care less.

America, land of the brave, home of the free and birthplace of the apathetic.

Back