Americans Conflicted About Iraq War's Course

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
USA Today
December 12, 2006
Pg. 10
Most say costs of succeeding outweigh its benefits
By Susan Page and William Risser, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — Most Americans are convinced of two things: It's important that the United States succeed in Iraq. Eight in 10 of those surveyed in a USA TODAY/Gallup Poll over the weekend agree with President Bush about that.
Important, perhaps, but not worth the price. By nearly 2-1, they also say the costs of succeeding in Iraq outweigh the benefits. Eight in 10 want most U.S. troops withdrawn within two years. Nearly a third want them home within six months.
"There's got to be a change of direction," says Lorne Eustis, 79, a retired truck driver from Ogdensburg, N.Y., and a Republican who was among those surveyed. "I don't care what it is but something has got to be done. GIs are getting killed over there for nothing."
The poll of 1,009 adults, taken Friday through Sunday, finds an American public that is deeply conflicted. Most worry not only about the costs of staying in Iraq but also about the consequences of pulling out. While 60% say the United States could win the war, 61% say the United States won't.
"You don't find a majority support for immediate withdrawal, but they're definitely looking for a way out," says Steven Kull, director of the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland, which has surveyed American and Iraqi public opinion on the war. "They don't believe that you're going to leave an ideal 'City-on-the-Hill' democracy behind" but also think that pulling out amid chaos would create its own problems.
"They are looking for ways to mitigate the consequences of disengagement," Kull says.
The survey finds a sharp partisan divide on the war. Sixty-three percent of Republicans say the benefits of the war outweigh its costs, compared with 28% of independents of just 12% of Democrats.
"I think we've been there long enough and it's a mess," says Amy Lantz, 38, a homemaker from Wilmington, Del., and an independent voter. "I'd love to see them come home today," she says of U.S. troops, "but if we did pull out today it would just blow up. It just seems like complete chaos right now."
Most of those surveyed say they're following closely the recommendations of the Iraq Study Group, unveiled last week. While most say they don't know enough about the group's recommendations to judge whether the Bush administration should implement them, those with an opinion support the proposals by nearly 5 to 1.
"I don't know what it contained but it wouldn't hurt to look at it a different way because we're not getting anywhere right now," says Estel Aleshire, 76, a retired autoworker from Portage County, Ohio, who twice voted for Bush.
Americans overwhelmingly endorse specific proposals advanced by the commission.
Many support the idea of pushing Iraqis to take more responsibility for security operations and political progress. "Anything that takes responsibility off of us and puts it over there is fine with me," says Catherine Ostrowski, 32, of Amherst, N.Y. She wants Bush to "stop sending new troops over" and bring the troops there home within a year.
Patti Nickels, 45, a Republican from Bristol, Pa., says negotiating with Iran and Syria just makes common sense. "Sure, husbands and wives don't get along, boyfriends and girlfriends don't get along," she says. "You have to have some type of communication."
She's not sure about the commission's recommendation that most U.S. combat troops withdraw by March 2008, though. "Finish the job," she says. "If we pull out now, what was the sense of us going over there in the first place?"
Robert Jondal, 59, of Two Harbors, Minn., wants most U.S. troops withdrawn sooner. A Democratic-leaning voter, he says the party's leaders aren't responding fast enough to the message sent in last month's elections. "I don't think we're going to do that much good sticking around longer," he says.
Tina Rinkert, 25, a Democrat from Taylorsville, Utah, agrees. "The sooner they get out of there, the better," she says. "I'd like there to be peace, but I'd also like them to be home with their families."
USA Today/Gallup Poll
Weighing in on the Iraq Study Group's recommendations, Bush's job performance
Who do you think is currently winning the war in Iraq? Neither side: 64%, Insurgents: 17%, U.S. and its allies: 16%, No opinion: 3%
How important is it that the United States succeeds in Iraq? Extremely: 29%, Very: 29%, Somewhat: 23%, Not very: 15%
How do the benefits to the United States of succeeding in Iraq compare with the costs? Costs outweigh benefits: 64%, Benefits outweigh costs: 33%, No opinion: 3%
Do you think the Bush administration will implement most of the Iraq Study Group's recommendations? No: 54%, Yes: 24%, No opinion: 22%
Which Iraq Study Group recommendations should the Bush administration implement?
Negotiate directly with neighboring countries such as Iran and Syria on regional security -- Yes: 72%, No: 23%
Jump-start peace talks to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict -- Yes: 76%, No: 18%

Back