The American War for Independance - Page 3

--

November 18th, 2004  
Duty Honor Country

Topic: Re: The American War for Independance

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat
Seeing that in the War of 1812, the USA didn't gain anything from the British. I feel it safe to state that whatever freedom you are referring to, was gained in the AWI.
The Revolutionary War gave America her independence. The War of 1812 was a test of that independence.
November 18th, 2004  
Young Winston

Topic: Re: The American War for Independance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doody
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat
Seeing that in the War of 1812, the USA didn't gain anything from the British. I feel it safe to state that whatever freedom you are referring to, was gained in the AWI.
The Revolutionary War gave America her independence. The War of 1812 was a test of that independence.
I agree with Doody. The 1812 War finally showed Britain that the US had the testicles!!!!! Bigger ones than in the WOI!!!

The WOI was a momentous and great chapter for US independence, but it was the first chapter.
November 18th, 2004  
Spastic

America went to war with Britain in 1812 for 4 reasons :

1.) Britain was selling weapons to Indians on the fronteir. Not illegal, but it was pissing farmers off seeing presumed enemies with guns.

2.) Britain was lazily demilitarizing the American fronteir. Bases from the Revolutionary War were STILL being demilitarized and British troops were not leaving fast enough for the Americans.

3.) Britain was impressing Americans into their navy. Already been discussed, so I won't go into it. However, it should be noted that indeed the British parliament passed a bill that made it illegal to impress American citizens into their navy - as per constant request from the President and threats to use force - before the U.S declared war on Britain, but this happened mere WEEKS before Congress declared war on Britain, and in that time frame the United States hadn't heard that Britain repealed its law and battles were already being fought against British installations.

4.) America wanted control of the Great Lakes and wanted Canada to become an independent state, thus more easily we could settle border disputes and the British empire would be that much weaker. We thought incorrectly that the Candians were like us and wanted independence, but instead they successfully fought off our invasion.

So yeah, pathetic waste of life which I would hardly correlate with our indendence. Even so, we - the USA - probably lost the war due to our capital building being set aflame.
--
November 19th, 2004  
Darcia

But Thanks to alot of wierd twist of fate and an old Thomas Jefferson everything actualy got redone even better.
November 19th, 2004  
Chocobo_Blitzer

Uhm, well... we did get our national anthem out of it!
November 19th, 2004  
Darcia

....True
November 19th, 2004  
Sea_Cadet

I say it was a war of property rather than liberty
November 19th, 2004  
Darcia

We realy didn't gain that much land if any from the war of 1812.
November 19th, 2004  
egoz

Well we didn't exactly win. Britain was more concerned over the affairs in Europe at the time and didn't want to waste manpower in the US more than they should. So it was kind of like they said, "eh, just have it already."
November 19th, 2004  
Airborne

The US didn't lose the war of 1812, we were kicking ass on our internal lines... Washington was burnt, but then the invading British army had it's rear handed to it in Baltimore.... the invasion of Canada... quite justified since we were suffering attacks by the pro-british indians supported logistically by English forts in American Territory (I can't be more clear about that) took a long time to get support for in congress... our invasion almost succeeded, but re were repelled, and then defeated the Brits in our own terrirory. I don't even want to bring up what happened in the south! I think the US made out pretty well after the war, but we were so freaken independant before the war it's not funny. Remember, we were capitalistic (i.e. don't judge us by the older ideological systems in Europe at that time like I suspect many of you are doing)... we didn't need a strong industrial infrastructure cause we had goods at the time to trade.... which I believe was the basis of the huge ideological debate at the time that split the nation on it's future civilwar structure. Proof of the civilwar, done by a independant populace, which had it's roots BEFORE the war of 1812, is a clear sign that the US was independant politically before it.