American militia

At least a couple of these groups don't really seem to qualify as militia, in my opinion at least. The GA Defence Force, specifically, is a peace time organization that (like the CAP) is completely unarmed. They offer valuable assistance in the form of SAR and similar emergency aid situations, but they are not a fighting force.

Well, that's the difference between organized militia and unorganized militia.

Some states have they're organized militia armed and some states don't.

camratest071.jpg

camratest070.jpg

What's the point of a camouflaged weapon if you're going to wear a T-shirt and jeans?

Maybe he just wore that for the photo, he probally has full camo someplace in which case the camo weapon would be useful.

Nothing beats a pair of jeans and a t-shirt for an urban environment.

Comfortable and best of all. You can ditch the gear really quickly if needed and blend in with the rest of the civilians.

5.56X45mm said:
Nothing beats a pair of jeans and a t-shirt for an urban environment.

Comfortable and best of all. You can ditch the gear really quickly if needed and blend in with the rest of the civilians.

Hence the dramas the Israelis are facing in Lebanon and the troops are facing in Iraq.

5.56: you might want to double-check this photo:

DSC03475.JPG

From what I can tell, it's an Army ROTC unit on an FTX (point man has "US ARMY" nametape and the ROTC patch on the left shoulder), and the fact that it's linked from Providence College reinforces my idea.

Fox, State Guard's medical requirements are generally lower than Army or NG. They recognize that they're getting volunteers (yes, it's a volunteer gig -- you do NOT get paid as a drilling reservist), so they're more lenient with vision and hearing requirements.

major liability said:
I'd join the NY State Guard, but they apparently they have the lamest patch ever conceived by mankind.
Yeah, the NYG patch sucks, but the subdued one isn't too bad. Let me know if you're interested, I'll hook you up with Recruiting at Camp Smith in Peekskill. I was with the 244th Medical Clinic (NYG unit) prior to going full-time active duty with USPHS, so I still know a lot of people in the NYG. One of the better summer AT's I participated in was augmenting an Air National Guard medical unit from Indiana when they went through their EMEDS certification training -- full story and pics here.

There's also a national organization/association that represents the legitimate and recognized state Guards and militias: www.sgaus.org -- has links to various states' Guards and militias.

Again, one thing to keep in mind: these are all volunteer organizations. If you join, you will NOT get paid as a drilling reservist. I know in NY, the only pay you'll see is if you're put on state active duty by the Governor, and then it's only if you're an O-3 or below (officers) or E-6 or E-7 and below (enlisted). That might have changed since I was in (rank limitations), but the essence is still there. I know a two-star general (O-8 ) who was activated for 9/11 and I think he was either unpaid or paid only as an O-3 or an O-4 or something crazy like that.

Last edited:
AJChenMPH said:
Fox, State Guard's medical requirements are generally lower than Army or NG. They recognize that they're getting volunteers (yes, it's a volunteer gig -- you do NOT get paid as a drilling reservist), so they're more lenient with vision and hearing requirements.

Okay, thanks for the info, AJChenMPH.

AJChenMPH said:
5.56: you might want to double-check this photo:

DSC03475.JPG

From what I can tell, it's an Army ROTC unit on an FTX (point man has "US ARMY" nametape and the ROTC patch on the left shoulder), and the fact that it's linked from Providence College reinforces my idea.

Sorry, I got it off another website. It was form some unit in Maryland. I guess they stole it and posted it on their site.

Back