American kids are getting lazy

Duty Honor Country

I just got back from my 25 km morning bike ride (I may be American but Europeans know how to make good bike components). My ride takes me by a high school. I started to notice that there were more than a few kids well with in walking distance of the school. I think there were about 10 kids on my route within a 2km (1.25 miles) radius of the school. Now it doesn't take more than 20 minutes to walk 2 km. I am sure by the time those kids wait for the bus, they could be walking on school grounds. It's just one more sign that more kids are getting lazy.

Well...

Perhaps the parents can pull my old man's trick "Whops late for work again kid, can't drive you, come on, off you go, can't be late, see ya...."

:roll:

Yes, I think that there are more than a few kids that are just becoming lazy. It is something that seems to be a cool thing now. I take my 3 boys (9, 6, 5) to school every mornin, 2 go in at one door and one has to go 30 - 45 feet to another door and he wants me to drive him. HELL NO! I make him walk it every mornin, it isn't that he is inactive, he does tons of sports and excells at them, it is he is lazy and doesnt want to walk it. He has no explanation for it.

Not just Americans but Canadian kids as well, i'm making sure my kid gets plenty of activity, there is no way i'm raising a fat lazy kid that sits in front of the t.v./nintendo eating chips and drinking soda, i never grew up that way and i'm going to work hard at making sure my kid gets plenty of outdoor activity ;)

GUNNER

Ninetendo, Xbox, etc. etc. etc.. It's not all their fault if parents and I am one would turn off the games and T.V. and send little johnny and Jane out to play once in a while.
My 15 year old walks the .5 miles to school every day unless it's a monsoon like storm and it hasn't hurt her.

Kids are lazy for one reason and one reason only; its cuz we can. The rational: why work hard when you dont have to?

lazy??lazy?? you are being to kind to most of them, they are FAT, no i am not going to say it any other way, they are fat, i see it everyday, and i myself use to be fat until i stop taking the bus, now i ride my bike to school 3 miles there and 3 miles back(going home takes a little longer because it is all uphill and very steeply uphill and for some reason the wind is always pushing against me on my way home).

I also do around 200 crunches a day, i checked my scale today and it seems that in one week i managed to drop another 8 pounds just because i cut my food intake in half and stopped ordering THE DAMNED PIZZAS, PUT DOWN CONTROLLER KIDS AND RUN YOUR ASS OFF, IF YOUR NOT MOTIVATED ENOUGH DO WHAT I DO ON WEEKENDS, HAVE YOUR FRIEND GET ON YOUR BIKE AND RIDE BEHIND YOU HITTING YOU IN THE BACK WITH A BAT EVERYTIME YOU SLOW DOWN.

I aint fat but I feel bad reading this cause I just stuffed my face with fastfood and got a stomach ache LMAO

I think its something else tho. I live pretty close to school. But I don't walk. It's too long of a walk, meaning I'd have to get up earlier. Lots of teens need their sleep, so they take the bus.

sleep?sleep? what is this sleep you mortals speak of? I don't sleep i PT, I will have plenty of time to sleep when i'm dead

I agree kids are lazy today. I see it all the time. My Jr high and high schools were 2.5 and 2 miles from home, respectively, and our district didn't have buses so you either got a ride from a parent, or more often walked, in all weather. It was great conditioning, because by the time I got to boot camp I was used to walking long distances, which made the PT easier.

Call me lazy, sure. Ok, really, you might think kids are overeacting when they come home from school and say they are tired. My parents tried the argument, "Well, I went to your school too, I know what it's like to run all over it." Alright, that was when there were 900 - kids there, now there are 1400+ in a school that has halls made for 900 kids to travel through. Just traveling can be almost impossible. My mom also complains about the weight of my books. Wanna talk tired arms? I am small built, i.e. little arm muscle. I'm also carriying hardback books. One of which has 1504 pages... all over school. yes, lockers are great, but you can't always stop by there.

I really wish I could find the weight of all my books, then i would weigh my notebooks... Hmm..

Yeah, when I get sick, I usually have to have some friends help me carry my books because they are so heavy and i'm weak from being sick.

Then also, factor in extracurricular activities. Marching band is a biggie for me. Pushing mallets across a field, or bringing them up the elevator (we can't fit them between the guardrail, otherwise we would attempt to push them up this huge hill), my calfs kill...

I don't think it is kids getting lazy, I just think it is the insane school and stuff...

Plus, I take aerobics at school.

maybe too much homework makes the kids tired..
they got to reserve their energy to do their homework later? :?:

Listen to you guys, makin excuses for other people. For the most part you are all active. What about the kids that dont do anything. They skate by in school and go home. Everyone knows that kid, there is one in every school/class. I understand that kids are tired when gettin out of school, hell I would be tired just from the sittin alone. I am talkin about the ones that use it as an excuse to sit in front of the tube or play a playstation. There is a time for tv and games and there is a time for bein out and doin something, bein involved in something other than the weekly pizza club.

I've heard almost everyone of your I'm tired excuses from my own daughter. Including the My books are too heavy. My answer to her and my answer to you is this. Back Pack. Yep just like Dora the Explorer (sorry got a 3 year old too).
You youngsters are young and strong and I buy about zeilch on your oh poor pitiful us theories.
If an 18 year old Grunt can carry upwards of 70 pounds up moutains and thru jungles. A 15 16 or 17 year old should be able to carry 15 pounds worth of books from class to class.

Crazy cadet that backpack problem is serious, most kids nowadays don't wear their backpack properly because it isn't "cool" you should not let your backpack sag down to your but or it will cause you back problems in the long run, books can be heavy but people are heavier.

i have no idea why i said people are heavier that is funny, but i don't know why i said it out of the blue.

Atleast they could take their bike if they're to lazy to walk, unless those in cars/buses are as pshyko as they are here :? I take the bike to the bus hehe probebly about 2,5 km, takes me about 3 min then i have a bus ride of 40 minutes till i arive 1 km from volvo :)
I take the bike every day year round (5th year now :D), snow, rain, storm, ice and i havent put it down once (becides holidays and weekends heh), only tricky times is when theres half melted snow on the ground, 10cm thick, gets really slippry, ice isnt a problem as i have tires with metal dubbs on :D)

Been almost runover around 20 times because people cant drive. Been forced of the road 2 times by buses, who doesnt know traffic rules. And several incidents and i still havent put away my bike :D

2 - 3 times have been my own fault (like driving infront of a car that was parking :lol: )

I did around 1,5 mil (15 km) aday when i was in school :)

The treat beeing, i can beat pertty much everyone in my town in a bike race :twisted: aswell as getting fresh air every morning and eavning. Only problem is darkness (we have a good amount of it where i live, atleast at those time i take my dayly bike ride hehe (5:30 am) and when i go home (7 pm). Pitch black with only a few lights to guide you.

03USMC said:
I've heard almost everyone of your I'm tired excuses from my own daughter. Including the My books are too heavy. My answer to her and my answer to you is this. Back Pack. Yep just like Dora the Explorer (sorry got a 3 year old too).
You youngsters are young and strong and I buy about zeilch on your oh poor pitiful us theories.
If an 18 year old Grunt can carry upwards of 70 pounds up moutains and thru jungles. A 15 16 or 17 year old should be able to carry 15 pounds worth of books from class to class.

LOL

03USMC said:
Ninetendo, Xbox, etc. etc. etc.. It's not all their fault if parents and I am one would turn off the games and T.V. and send little johnny and Jane out to play once in a while.
My 15 year old walks the .5 miles to school every day unless it's a monsoon like storm and it hasn't hurt her.

you are definately on to something, My mom would not allow me to watch tv during the week and I NEVER had a game system. That forced me to do things like sports and to play outside. No one really does anything outside other than sports now a days.

Back