American Hero!

ARMYMOM

I read this on another site & thought it should be passed along

This is about a Marine an incredible story of heroism. Funny, you don't see this on the evening News.

SSG Blizzard

Sgt. Rafael Peralta, American Hero
Everyone should know his name.

You probably don't know Rafael Peralta's name. If we lived in a country that more fully celebrated the heroics of its men in uniform, you would. He was a sergeant in Company A, 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment for Operation Dawn, the November offensive to retake the Iraqi city of Fallujah, which had become a haven for terrorists. What he did on the day of Nov. 15 was an awe-inspiring act of selfless sacrifice and faithfulness to his fellow Marines.
The only way we can honor Sgt. Peralta's heroism is to tell his story and remember his name. What follows is mostly drawn from the reporting of Marine combat correspondent Lance Cpl. T.J. Kaemmerer, who witnessed the events on that day.
Sgt. Peralta, 25, was a Mexican American. He joined the Marines the day after he got his green card and earned his citizenship while in uniform. He was fiercely loyal to the ethos of the Corps. While in Kuwait, waiting to go into Iraq, he had his camouflage uniform sent out to be pressed. He constantly looked for opportunities to help his Marine brothers, which is why he ended up where he was on Nov. 15. A week into the battle for Fallujah, the Marines were still doing the deadly work of clearing the city, house by house. As a platoon scout, Peralta didn't have to go out with the assault team that day. He volunteered to go.
According to Kaemmerer, the Marines entered a house and kicked in the doors of two rooms that proved empty. But there was another closed door to an adjoining room. It was unlocked, and Peralta, in the lead, opened it. He was immediately hit with AK-47 fire in his face and upper torso by three insurgents. He fell out of the way into one of the cleared rooms to give his fellow Marines a clear shot at the enemy. During the firefight, a yellow fragmentation grenade flew out of the room, landing near Peralta and several fellow Marines. The uninjured Marines tried to scatter out of the way, two of them trying to escape the room, but were blocked by a locked door. At that point, barely alive, Peralta grabbed the grenade and cradled it to his body.
His body took most of the blast. One Marine was seriously injured, but the rest sustained only minor shrapnel wounds. Cpl. Brannon Dyer told a reporter from the Army Times, "He saved half my fire team."
Kaemmerer compares Peralta's sacrifice to that of past Marine Medal of Honor winners Pfc. James LaBelle and Lance Cpl. Richard Anderson. LaBelle dove on a Japanese grenade to save two fellow Marines during the battle of Iwo Jima. Although he had just been wounded twice, Anderson rolled over an enemy grenade to save a fellow Marine during a 1969 battle in Vietnam.
Peralta's sacrifice should be a legend in the making. But somehow heroism doesn't get the same traction in our media environment as being a victim or villain, categories that encompass the truly famous Jessica Lynch and Lynndie England respectively. Peralta's story has been covered in military publications, a smattering of papers including the Seattle Times and the San Diego Union-Tribune, ABC News, and some military blogs. But the Washington Post and the New York Times only mentioned Peralta's name in their lists of the dead. Scandalously, the "heroism" of Spc. Thomas Wilson — the national guardsman who asked a tough question of Secretary of Defense Don Rumsfeld that had been planted with him by a reporter — has been more celebrated in the press than that of Peralta.
Kaemmerer recounts how later on the night of Nov. 15, a friend approached him and said: "You're still here; don't forget that. Tell your kids, your grandkids, what Sgt. Peralta did for you and the other Marines today." Don't forget. Good advice for all of us.

Its not news thing to do such reports, news just tell something that happend there without any details.

Our news unfortunately goes into great detail about bad news, Even tho this is not a feel good news item, hearing stories such as this instills a sense of pride and should be reported. Our men & women in the military have sacraficed so much and should be remembered. Not with just a name in a list but with their story.

Snauhi said:
Sexybeast said:
what a man...americans should remember him when they are enjoying their freedom back home

this is overrated..

So the sacrifice of this Marine is overrated huh. Maybe your missing the part where he saved his Fellow Marines by cradling a grenade against himself. Etheir way thats a pretty low thing to say.

See if ya can guess what I'm thinkin about that comment.

no man,he didint mean it that way,he just meant that there is no connection between iraq war and US freedom,so he thought it was over rated,dont get all worked up :lol:

I heard about this over winter break and got the chills when I read about it...It's just wow. It kills me to see the way people always reflect on the war so negatively, and put down the entire Armed Forces just because of the actions of a few people, and then pass over the admirable and heroic examples of valor and selfless service. It's just insane that our media prefers the negative stories over these kind of things.

I'm sure in my entire school, there would only be a handful of people who'd know about this. But everyone would be able to recollect Abu Grahib, or well, you know what I mean.

That was exactly my point. Everyone knows the names of the soldiers involved in the prison scandal but not the names of men like these. :cry:

ARMYMOM said:
That was exactly my point. Everyone knows the names of the soldiers involved in the prison scandal but not the names of men like these. :cry:
dont get me wrong,but i think its beacouse this is what they are payed to do,and torturing prisioners on that way isnt in their job despcription

if you want to go there, there is nothing in any military manual about taking your life by jumping on a grenade to save your fellow soldiers.

That is called going above and beyond the call of duty.

BTW, I see no connection between acts of heroism and and the abuse scandal. Those acts are a reflection of the people who did them. I would not expect PFC English or any of those other bastards to do what Peralta did nor would I expect Peralta to abuse prisoners.

Your right! There is no comparison to a HERO and those involved at the prison. Peralta as well as others who go above & beyond their duty should be household names.

Instead we only here about the negative-my intention was to tell his story, the story of a hero.

An amazing story. A true personification of duty and honor. I do hope and trust that SGT Peralta is awarded the Medal of Honor. I'm glad to have read this story. I only have one very minor critcisim - I don't think that PFC Lynch and SPC Wilson should've been mentioned in the same breath as PFC England. Serves no purpose to cast aspersions towards them. I recognize the author's intent, but it detracts from an otherwise well written article.

People have recieved the Medal of Honor for doing the exact same things in the past. I don't see why this one last honor shouldn't be bestowed upon him as well. If anything it'll let his name live a little longer and for a very long time in the list of people who recieved the medal.

03USMC said:
Snauhi said:
Sexybeast said:
what a man...americans should remember him when they are enjoying their freedom back home

this is overrated..

So the sacrifice of this Marine is overrated huh. Maybe your missing the part where he saved his Fellow Marines by cradling a grenade against himself. Etheir way thats a pretty low thing to say.

See if ya can guess what I'm thinkin about that comment.

yes it is very heroic but i have heard many of those storys..

Snauhi and Marksmen should be ashamed for what they said. How pathetic have you become when you can't even see heroism?

Charge7 - Eh, I'm going to have to agree with you on that one but I'm not going to fault the author for his choice.

Sure these things have happened many times. But that doesn't make them worth any less.
It's one of those things were you don't have an excuse of being unqualified, or undereducated, untrained... it's a simple piece of action that anyone can physically do. But imagining yourself actually doing it... now it becomes a little different doesn't it?
And if you say "YES I CAN DO IT!!!" you're probably dreaming. It's something you'll never know until it's already happened.

Back