American Hero!

its amazing to read about people who do things like that, completely selfless acts, which ensure, 2 things, thier death and thier friends survival. i believe there were quite a few MoH's give during WW2 and vietnam and other conflicts to soldiers who jumped on grenades so thier squadmates would survive, so i see no loigcal reason why he wouldn't get it as well.

Whispering Death said:
Snauhi and Marksmen should be ashamed for what they said. How pathetic have you become when you can't even see heroism?

Charge7 - Eh, I'm going to have to agree with you on that one but I'm not going to fault the author for his choice.

hmmm.. where did i say that i think that it wasent heroism???

And why are you making personal attacks...

Re: he

Anya1982 said:
I saved a poor Alsation from getting hit by a bus a month ago and I ecieved no honour!!!!

:cen:

And your comparing the two. Yeah Okay :? :? :?

Snauhi, do not let me see you make another post like your first in this thread, comments like that will not be tolerated. You are in absolutely no position to rate the bravery of men in combat, and your comment is insulting, unnecessary, and extremely out of line.

Anya, your "humor" is out of place here and in very poor taste, do not let it happen again. A man's death, let alone his supreme sacrifice as in this case, is not a subject to joke about.

Do not reply to this warning in this thread.

There is no glory. There is no praise. There is only sadness, honor, regret, remembrance, guilt, and sacrifice. My older generation held this belief, remembering a man who thrown his own life to save others during Germany's most turbulent times.

Doody said:
if you want to go there, there is nothing in any military manual about taking your life by jumping on a grenade to save your fellow soldiers.

That is called going above and beyond the call of duty.

BTW, I see no connection between acts of heroism and and the abuse scandal. Those acts are a reflection of the people who did them. I would not expect PFC English or any of those other bastards to do what Peralta did nor would I expect Peralta to abuse prisoners.
Doody,u didnt quite understand what im saying,what i meant was that his profession is to be a soldier,he became that with knowing that risks such as this one could happen,so him jumping on a granade to save his friends is very brave and noble,but however news think this way "so he jumped on the granade,that is his duty or personal decision,but it is the risk of his job,but tortureing captives wasnt in job description of those who did that,so its worth of story" i mean regradless of anything,press is a widely showing the things that are "secondary objective" and not showing who really pulled out something that more than ever should be in news....................its just press,i think we agreed on this one long ago

This man gave the ultimate sacrifice... And the least they can do is make sure he is decorated and remembered in return... I only hope that the politics surrounding this war won't mask this man's bravery....

Pete031 said:
This man gave the ultimate sacrifice... And the least they can do is make sure he is decorated and remembered in return... I only hope that the politics surrounding this war won't mask this man's bravery....

The good thing about the Corps is that Sergeant Peralta will never be forgotten. His story and his sacrifice will be remembered as long as the Marine Corps exists. It will told to recruits at MCRD, it will be told at SOI, he will be remembered in his unit. Most importantly it will told by the Marines he saved.

"i meant was that his profession is to be a soldier,he became that with knowing that risks such as this one could happen,so him jumping on a granade to save his friends is very brave and noble,but however news think this way "so he jumped on the granade,that is his duty or personal decision,but it is the risk of his job,but tortureing captives wasnt in job description of those who did that,so its worth of story" i mean regradless of anything,press is a widely showing the things that are "secondary objective" and not showing who really pulled out something that more than ever should be in news....................its just press"

If the press truly feel that not thinking for a second about trying to save your own life by trying to get away from the blast as best as possible and instead instantly knowingly give your life to ensure that your comrades survive isn't newsworthy, I have nothing but pity for them. They've lost a measure of humanity in trying to portray it. I'd like to think you're wrong about that and the story just didn't make the news in time or something, but I'm certainly willing to consider that emphasizing the negative has become the superlative.

I agree... But I think that acts like this should be remembered by all, and that his heroism should be honored by not only his fellow Marines, but by his Nation...

Pete031 said:
I agree... But I think that acts like this should be remembered by all, and that his heroism should be honored by not only his fellow Marines, but by his Nation...

Absolutely. This man saved his some of his mates from certain death, knowing his own life was forfeit. He should be headline news and should be awarded and decorated appropriately.

I'm glad I read this.

Charge_7 said:
"i meant was that his profession is to be a soldier,he became that with knowing that risks such as this one could happen,so him jumping on a granade to save his friends is very brave and noble,but however news think this way "so he jumped on the granade,that is his duty or personal decision,but it is the risk of his job,but tortureing captives wasnt in job description of those who did that,so its worth of story" i mean regradless of anything,press is a widely showing the things that are "secondary objective" and not showing who really pulled out something that more than ever should be in news....................its just press"

If the press truly feel that not thinking for a second about trying to save your own life by trying to get away from the blast as best as possible and instead instantly knowingly give your life to ensure that your comrades survive isn't newsworthy, I have nothing but pity for them. They've lost a measure of humanity in trying to portray it. I'd like to think you're wrong about that and the story just didn't make the news in time or something, but I'm certainly willing to consider that emphasizing the negative has become the superlative.

the problem is that its theirs job..........to be press assholes.

Should we say that the Fireman that goes into a burning building to rescue someone & dies trying "is only doing his job". Since when he signed up he absolutely knew that someday he would be at a fire, so no big deal!
Or the policeman thats killed responding to a call for help- Oh well to bad! It was his job! How about the rescue worker who jumps into the frigid ocean to save someone only to drown himself! Don't give it a second thought it was his job!

I do not think so! There are many dangerous jobs out there. Does that mean none of them should be honored? My son is at OSUT 19D Fort Knox I can only pray that hes as brave as that soldier was. I also hope he is surrounded by others like him.

ARMYMOM said:
Should we say that the Fireman that goes into a burning building to rescue someone & dies trying "is only doing his job". Since when he signed up he absolutely knew that someday he would be at a fire, so no big deal!
Or the policeman thats killed responding to a call for help- Oh well to bad! It was his job! How about the rescue worker who jumps into the frigid ocean to save someone only to drown himself! Don't give it a second thought it was his job!

I do not think so! There are many dangerous jobs out there. Does that mean none of them should be honored? My son is at OSUT 19D Fort Knox I can only pray that hes as brave as that soldier was. I also hope he is surrounded by others like him.
i am soo miss understood......i drop this one,since i cant tell what i want to say in the way i want it to be,all i want you to know is that i didnt mean to disshonor anybody,but to tell you how press sees it,thats all.They are more attracted to tell stories about something that shouldnt be done,than to tell about someones heroic work.......never meant to offend

No, Marksman, I understand you - all too well I'm afraid. The press only cares about their "story". The individuals involved are just items in a list. I think there are some reporters who are an exception to that, but by and large, that's the rule.

Rafael Peralta

I always consider I can learn more things about war from personal story than epic.

Things like this have happened before, is happening now, and always will happen when a leader's first instinct is to save a man under his command. I think they don't even stop to consider their own safety because the people he leads is like family and how many of us would not make the ultimate sacrifice for our family? That's where the true heroes are made.

Bump -- anyone have any inside knowledge if Sgt. Peralta will get the Medal of Honor? I didn't find anything on the airwaves...

v/r,

Andy

Back