AFJROTC c/ssgtnault

Topic: American Civil war

This thread is about the American civil war north or south
October 15th, 2015  
I3BrigPvSk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFJROTC c/ssgtnault
This thread is about the American civil war north or south
Interesting, I call the American civil war the first "modern industrialized" war, some use that term for the first world war.

I haven't read much about the ACW, I have watched some documentaries about it, so I am looking forward to learn much more about this war.
October 16th, 2015  
Remington 1858

It probably was the beginning of industrial warfare and also the beginning of total war, where the objective became the total destruction of the enemy state, not just defeat of it's forces. The American South was devastated to a greater extent than Germany after WWII. and it took generations for it to recover. The South that had been the richest area of the U.S. prior to the war became the poorest. It's economy and infrastructure were totally destroyed.
It was the beginning of trench warfare at Vicksburg and Petersburg, when it was apparent that firepower and defensive works could be made so strong they couldn't be taken by frontal infantry assault.
It was a preview of events seen later in the Russo-Japanese War and on the Western Front in WWI.
--
October 16th, 2015  
I3BrigPvSk

I watched a TV series about the civil war by Ken Burns (he has produced other TV series as well) I knew the weakness of relying on TV documentaries

Something that surprised me about the war was the size of it. As a European, I had the impression the war was mostly fought in the eastern part of the US, east of Mississippi, but there were clashes even further west.
October 16th, 2015  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington 1858
It probably was the beginning of industrial warfare and also the beginning of total war, where the objective became the total destruction of the enemy state, not just defeat of it's forces. The American South was devastated to a greater extent than Germany after WWII. and it took generations for it to recover. The South that had been the richest area of the U.S. prior to the war became the poorest. It's economy and infrastructure were totally destroyed.
It was the beginning of trench warfare at Vicksburg and Petersburg, when it was apparent that firepower and defensive works could be made so strong they couldn't be taken by frontal infantry assault.
It was a preview of events seen later in the Russo-Japanese War and on the Western Front in WWI.
I have heard said that the American Civil War was the first modern war in history, a taste of things to come.
October 16th, 2015  
Remington 1858

The American Civil War was perhaps the first war of attrition in the modern age. In previous wars, such as the Napoleonic Wars, the fate of a nation could be decided in an afternoons battle. By 1860, this was no longer possible. It was also an early, perhaps the earliest, example of the impact that railroads were to have.
In the South, there were numerous small railroads that ran out into the rural areas to collect agricultural produce and bring it to the cities for use or trans-shipment. This meant that the Confederacy could fight on interior lines, shifting reinforcements wherever needed.
At least one Confederate General, Joe Johnston urged that the south adopt a defensive strategy, forcing Union forces to attack into unfavorable terrain and meeting these attacks by shifting forces.
In the short term that might have worked and possibly have ended the war on terms favorable to the south, but Confederate President Jefferson Davis would never listen to Johnston, who he personally disliked.
October 17th, 2015  
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk

Something that surprised me about the war was the size of it. As a European, I had the impression the war was mostly fought in the eastern part of the US, east of Mississippi, but there were clashes even further west.
At the time the eastern seaboard was the east and the western theatre was east of the Mississippi. West of the River was considered to be the "far west" and was a minor area.

Quote:
European observers in 1864-65 were shocked by the devastation on battlefields. A proposal to drop poison gas bombs into Ft. Pickens from balloons during the stand off at Pensacola were found after the War in Richmond.

Quote:
The American Civil War was perhaps the first war of attrition in the modern age. In previous wars, such as the Napoleonic Wars, the fate of a nation could be decided in an afternoons battle. By 1860, this was no longer possible. It was also an early, perhaps the earliest, example of the impact that railroads were to have.
In the South, there were numerous small railroads that ran out into the rural areas to collect agricultural produce and bring it to the cities for use or trans-shipment. This meant that the Confederacy could fight on interior lines, shifting reinforcements wherever needed.
At least one Confederate General, Joe Johnston urged that the south adopt a defensive strategy, forcing Union forces to attack into unfavorable terrain and meeting these attacks by shifting forces.
In the short term that might have worked and possibly have ended the war on terms favorable to the south, but Confederate President Jefferson Davis would never listen to Johnston, who he personally disliked.
The war was lost for a big part by the inability to defend the western theatre by the Army of Tennessee. Jeff Davis's personal friendship with Gen. Bragg and not dismissing him in time was a big factor in losing.
October 17th, 2015  
I3BrigPvSk

Sherman's offensive through the south really devastated the country.

I also think the telegraph had a major importance during the war, and probably the first time the telegraph was used strategically in a war.
October 17th, 2015  
JOC

Quote:
Although I'm sure the south was devastated to quite a degree I find it hard to believe that it was as devastated as post WW2 Germany. ~ 5.3 million military dead, > 2 million civilian dead, > 10 million refugees, > 0.3 million Germans executed by the Nazi's. This is not included the millions of sick and injured. It has been said that no country in the history of warfare held out so long against such odds as WW2 Germany.
October 17th, 2015  
BritinAfrica

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
Sherman's offensive through the south really devastated the country.

I also think the telegraph had a major importance during the war, and probably the first time the telegraph was used strategically in a war.
As was the railways.