American Carrrier Sunk

You scared me! I thought that it was an active carrier at first, but then I read the article.

What a great tribute to a great ship!

Now what the hell are we going to do with the nimitz? It would be spectacular to see that thing 'retire' in the same fashion.

ghost457 said:
You scared me! I thought that it was an active carrier at first, but then I read the article.

What a great tribute to a great ship!

i thought the same thing at first, scared the sh:cen: out of me

WarMachine said:
Now what the hell are we going to do with the nimitz? It would be spectacular to see that thing 'retire' in the same fashion.
I don't think the Nimitz is going anywhere anytime soon. It's still relatively new and in good operating condition. The Oriskany was an older carrier from the Vietnam era (in fact, that was the carrier that Sen. John McCain was flying off of when he was shot down -- he transferred there after the Forrestal fire) and too old and too small to support today's carrier ops.

Not only is it on the website, it's near the top in bold.

The SMALL BOAT on the deck of carrier contains a generator and electronics to set off the explosions. It was designed so this small boat would float free after the carrier sunk!

AJChenMPH said:
Not only is it on the website, it's near the top in bold.
Thanks AJ, but I wanted Fox to go find it, these youngster sometimes have the attention span of ........ I don't know!

WarMachine said:

Why would you be spelling doom and gloom for the Nimitz? It's still a viable asset.

But then so would be the Forrestal, Saratoga, Ranger, Independence, Kitty Hawk, Constellation, and the America (if it hadn't been sunk as a target). With major overhauls all of them would have still been servicable as carriers. I think that's why they Navy still has ownership of all of them that are left.

I served on the Saratoga and was truly disappointed when it was retired while there was still so much life left in her. I must be getting old, every ship I've ever served on is either in mothballs or sitting on the bottom of some ocean.

Last edited:
The nimitz is fairly new but who knows in 20-30 years from now when their nuclear reactors are too expensive to replace or they're just out dated or what have you. Maybe then they'll be scrapped or scuttled. I've seen the concept pictures for the next gen carrier and they look exactly the same, just better technology. So we won't be missing the look of the nimitz, just it's name i suppose.

WarMachine said:
The nimitz is fairly new but who knows in 20-30 years from now when their nuclear reactors are too expensive to replace or they're just out dated or what have you. Maybe then they'll be scrapped or scuttled. I've seen the concept pictures for the next gen carrier and they look exactly the same, just better technology. So we won't be missing the look of the nimitz, just it's name i suppose.

Where do you keep your head? This thread has been talking about the here and now and you are projecting scrapping a ship 20-30 years down the road?

What a jerk. Get back to the current topic.

Oh excuse me, i was just responding to your off topic post in the first place.
NOW that's a jerk, back to the current subject.

Have there been any other sinkings like this, given everyone's responses it seems this sort of retirement is very unusual. In fact, what usually happens to aircraft carriers when they're through. Scrapped?

WarMachine said:
Oh excuse me, i was just responding to your off topic post in the first place.
NOW that's a jerk, back to the current subject.

Have there been any other sinkings like this, given everyone's responses it seems this sort of retirement is very unusual. In fact, what usually happens to aircraft carriers when they're through. Scrapped?

What off topic post? You seem to be more confused than most here!

If you were to do a search on Military.com you might find out that there have been many old carriers sunk. Just to name a couple I know of:

The USS Saratoga, CV-3 was used as a target at the Bikini Atol. It was sunk by a nuclear blast.

The USS America, CV-66 was sunk in recent history.

Here is a link to the list of all carriers, it isn't up to date so I'll keep looking for those records that show how they have been disposed of.

Here is a more recent list of Carriers and how they are disposed of or how they were lost.

Last edited:
Back