America Truly is the Greatest Country in the World, part two

-- Dusty

Equal Rights Hits Home:

In 1939, the war started and a food bank was established. All food was rationed and could only be purchased using food stamps. At the same time, a full-employment law was passed which meant if you didn’t work, you didn’t get a ration card, and if you didn’t have a card, you starved to death. Women who stayed home to raise their families didn’t have any marketable skills and often had to take jobs more suited for men.

Soon after this, the draft was implemented. It was compulsory for young people, male and female, to give one year to the labor corps. During the day, the girls worked on the farms, and at night they returned to their barracks for military training just like the boys. They were trained to be anti-aircraft gunners and participated in the signal corps. After the labor corps, they were not discharged but were used in the front lines. When I go back to Austria to visit my family and friends, most of these women are emotional cripples because they just were not equipped to handle the horrors of combat. Three months before I turned 18, I was severely injured in an air raid attack. I nearly had a leg amputated, so I was spared having to go into the labor corps and into military service.

Hitler Restructured the Family Through Daycare:

When the mothers had to go out into the work force, the government immediately established child care centers. You could take your children ages 4 weeks to school age and leave them there around-the-clock, 7 days a week, under the total care of the government. The state raised a whole generation of children. There were no motherly women to take care of the children, just people highly trained in child psychology. By this time, no one talked about equal rights. We knew we had been had.

Health Care and Small Business Suffer Under Government Controls:

Before Hitler, we had very good medical care.. Many American doctors trained at the University of Vienna .... After Hitler, health care was socialized, free for everyone. Doctors were salaried by the government. The problem was, since it was free, the people were going to the doctors for everything. When the good doctor arrived at his office at 8 a.m., 40 people were already waiting and, at the same time, the hospitals were full. If you needed elective surgery, you had to wait a year or two for your turn. There was no money for research as it was poured into socialized medicine. Research at the medical schools literally stopped, so the best doctors left Austria and emigrated to other countries.

As for healthcare, our tax rates went up to 80% of our income. Newlyweds immediately received a $1,000 loan from the government to establish a household. We had big programs for families. All day care and education were free. High schools were taken over by the government and college tuition was subsidized. Everyone was entitled to free handouts, such as food stamps, clothing, and housing.

We had another agency designed to monitor business. My brother-in-law owned a restaurant that had square tables. Government officials told him he had to replace them with round tables because people might bump themselves on the corners. Then they said he had to have additional bathroom facilities. It was just a small dairy business with a snack bar. He couldn’t meet all the demands. Soon, he went out of business. If the government owned the large businesses and not many small ones existed, it could be in control.

We had consumer protection. We were told how to shop and what to buy. Free enterprise was essentially abolished. We had a planning agency specially designed for farmers. The agents would go to the farms, count the live-stock, and then tell the farmers what to produce, and how to produce it.

“Mercy Killing” Redefined:

In 1944, I was a student teacher in a small village in the Alps . The villagers were surrounded by mountain passes which, in the winter, were closed off with snow, causing people to be isolated. So people intermarried and offspring were sometimes retarded. When I arrived, I was told there were 15 mentally retarded adults, but they were all useful and did good manual work. I knew one, named Vincent, very well. He was a janitor of the school. One day I looked out the window and saw Vincent and others getting into a van. I asked my superior where they were going. She said to an institution where the State Health Department would teach them a trade, and to read and write. The families were required to sign papers with a little clause that they could not visit for 6 months. They were told visits would interfere with the program and might cause homesickness.
As time passed, letters started to dribble back saying these people died a natural, merciful death. The villagers were not fooled. We suspected what was happening. Those people left in excellent physical health and all died within 6 months.. We called this euthanasia.

The Final Steps - Gun Laws:

Next came gun registration. People were getting injured by guns. Hitler said that the real way to catch criminals (we still had a few) was by matching serial numbers on guns. Most citizens were law abiding and dutifully marched to the police station to register their firearms. Not long after-wards, the police said that it was best for everyone to turn in their guns. The authorities already knew who had them, so it was futile not to comply voluntarily.

No more freedom of speech. Anyone who said something against the government was taken away. We knew many people who were arrested, not only Jews, but also priests and ministers who spoke up.
Totalitarianism didn’t come quickly, it took 5 years from 1938 until 1943, to realize full dictatorship in Austria.. Had it happened overnight, my countrymen would have fought to the last breath. Instead, we had creeping gradualism. Now, our only weapons were broom handles. The whole idea sounds almost unbelievable that the state, little by little eroded our freedom.

After World War II, Russian troops occupied Austria. Women were raped, preteen to elderly. The press never wrote about this either. When the Soviets left in 1955, they took everything that they could, dismantling whole factories in the process. They sawed down whole orchards of fruit, and what they couldn’t destroy, they burned. We called it The Burned Earth. Most of the population barricaded themselves in their houses. Women hid in their cellars for 6 weeks as the troops mobilized. Those who couldn’t; paid the price. There is a monument in Vienna today, dedicated to those women who were massacred by the Russians. This is an eye witness account.
“It’s true….those of us who sailed past the Statue of Liberty came to a country of unbelievable freedom and opportunity.

Exactly.

And now we are told to applaud that "America has changed".

Just remember that its enemies HAVE NOT.

Actually its enemies have changed.

My take on this sort of stuff. Every country is a pile of cr@p in its own right. Most countries are also great in their own right. Good life exists in America. Good life exists outside of America. Bad life exists in America. Bad life exists outside of America.

I don't think anyone should think their country is special because it blinds them. It makes them believe that somehow the rules don't apply to their country. The enemy torturing one of us is a crime, but suddenly one of us torturing the enemy seems acceptable. You end up refusing to accept the facts when your country is falling short and wildly exagerrate the significance of small victories.
Oh yeah, and isolationism starts to look sexy.
Not saying you personally, but just about everyone in general.

One year is such a short period of time in the frame of these things... I can't even earn a college degree (which isn't hard to do) in one year. I don't think a man can suddenly bring utopia to this unperfect world in that sort of time frame either.

Im not American, but i´ve always trusted AMERICA AND STILL DO, but im ashamed of my european politicians , when 9/11 HAPPENED i readed on the newspapers WE ARE ALL AMERICANS, BUT WHAT I SAW WAS HATE AND EVIL TOWARDS AMERICA,EUROPE SHOULD SEND MORE TROOPS TO AFGHANISTAN ,ITS TIME TO WE STAND FOR ,30.000 MORE US SOLDIERS ITS NOT ENOUGH. Let´s erase the Taliban and AL Qaeda.
Remember

America has been looked upon as the land of opportunity and a place for Europeans to start a new life.
This day and age its a lot more multi cultural in the refugees/ immegrants who go there but I guess the same thinking applies.

The above statement may be true, but the instant that the American people start telling others, it they leave themselves wide open to well deserved ridicule.

Not for the fact that they may or may not have the "greatest" (definition needed) country on Earth, but for their crass arrogance, and in all probability, ignorance, in making the statement in the first place.

As we say in Australia, FIGJAM....

FIGJAM....

Laughing_RoflSmileyLJ.gif

One year is such a short period of time in the frame of these things... I can't even earn a college degree (which isn't hard to do) in one year. I don't think a man can suddenly bring utopia to this unperfect world in that sort of time frame either.

Agreed. To me, America remains a beacon. But I have to stand by my post 2 in that respect. In their aims and ambitions, America's enemies have changed not one jot.

Let's see..
We break it down to the war/conflict, America's enemy's motivation for declaring war and what kind of army they were...

The Revolutionary War - Deny independence to the colony. Conventional Army.
The Indian Wars (Cherokee Wars etc) - Resist encroaching White settlers. Conventional and unconventional Armies of various alliances.
Barbary Wars - Piracy.
American Civil War - Independence. Conventional Army.
Boxer Rebellion - Arguably an independence movement. Popular uprising.
World War I - Fought over nothing. Conventional Army.
World War II (Japan) - Secure the Pacific supply lines. Conventional Army.
World War II (Germany) - Back Japan. Conventional Army.
Korean War - Re-unification. Conventional Army.
Vietnam War - Re-unification. Conventional and Unconventional Armies.
Gulf War I - Oil field ambitions. Conventional Army.
OEF - Destroying America. Unconventional Army.
Gulf War II - Self defense. Initially conventional, then unconventional armies.

America's enemies are as diverse as they come.
Failure to recognize this leads to all kinds of stupidity that costs lives.
It's like thinking every patient that walks in the door of a hospital has the same illness.

Last edited:
It's like thinking every patient that walks in the door of a hospital has the same illness.
Correct, without a shadow of doubt. Also one of the problems that we (the Coalition) have is that we did think our enemies had never changed, but the fact is that they have changed enormously and in ways that it took us some time to recognise and adapt to.

In the latest "shemozzle" we made the oldest mistake in the book in that we seriously underestimated these "Camel Jockeys" and we have suffered enormously as a result.

Much of this comes as the baggage we must accept with long standing conventional armies, led by people who have studied the history of warfare. While our enemies have no policies and very few ideas about our tactics, but they are extremely fluid and adaptable, they adapt to any given situation as it happens, and without fear of having to answer to their political masters.

To say that our enemies haven't changed is rubbish and is symptomatic of the type of thinking that is strangling our forces in the field today. This was the case in Viet Nam and it is still the case,... I'm afraid we haven't learned a lot about fighting unconventional wars.

Last edited:
13 IIRC we engaged Japan, "officially", a couple years after we engaged Germany.

Japan declared war on the US and Hitler followed suit right after.

I'm afraid we haven't learned a lot about fighting unconventional wars.

Or any other kind of conflict for that matter.
Like I said before and I'll say it again. The enemy is smart. The enemy is resourceful. The enemy is awfully patient. The enemy has an ability to soak up casualties unimaginable to us.

Last edited:
Actually its enemies have changed.

My take on this sort of stuff. Every country is a pile of cr@p in its own right. Most countries are also great in their own right. Good life exists in America. Good life exists outside of America. Bad life exists in America. Bad life exists outside of America.

I don't think anyone should think their country is special because it blinds them. It makes them believe that somehow the rules don't apply to their country. The enemy torturing one of us is a crime, but suddenly one of us torturing the enemy seems acceptable. You end up refusing to accept the facts when your country is falling short and wildly exagerrate the significance of small victories. -snip-

give_a_smile2.gif
Could not say it better, thanks, mate! (btw, I beat you by some 12 points in the first round of the Spanish soccer league competition we are running, not much, but at half time I am ahead :) )

Rattler

Let's see..
We break it down to the war/conflict, America's enemy's motivation for declaring war and what kind of army they were...

The Revolutionary War - Deny independence to the colony. Conventional Army.
The Indian Wars (Cherokee Wars etc) - Resist encroaching White settlers. Conventional and unconventional Armies of various alliances.
Barbary Wars - Piracy.
American Civil War - Independence. Conventional Army.
Boxer Rebellion - Arguably an independence movement. Popular uprising.
World War I - Fought over nothing. Conventional Army.
World War II (Japan) - Secure the Pacific supply lines. Conventional Army.
World War II (Germany) - Back Japan. Conventional Army.
Korean War - Re-unification. Conventional Army.
Vietnam War - Re-unification. Conventional and Unconventional Armies.
Gulf War I - Oil field ambitions. Conventional Army.
OEF - Destroying America. Unconventional Army.
Gulf War II - Self defense. Initially conventional, then unconventional armies.

Interesting history, but I repeat that I refer to the period of so-called change during the last year, as I am sure you are aware.

That is - current enemies, as I am sure you are aware.

I am unswerving in my conviction that USA is a massive beacon for democracy; the best we have by a million miles; and that without it chaos would reign. Already, as lesser critics try to shake the foundations of its democratic leadership, the shadows of chaos are creeping towards us.

My opinion, each of you is welcome to yours.

Last edited:
I have no doubt about the importance of America in the world.
This is why I strongly (I mean STRONGLY) believe that America can't afford to be ignorant and stupid. It is far too important to be any combination of the two.
It has been the driving force for wealth and freedom around the world. You could argue that it really started in World War I and became even more apparent during and after World War II. This was also the case in the Cold War.

As for the enemy in the last year... we are not privvy to their secret meetings, contents of their couriers etc. We can't be sure of whether they're changing or not.

Back