America Lucky or Blessed?

Then BOTH the truck driver and God are to blame. Until you are able to fathom that incredibly simplistic concept of equality and hold God accountable, don't lecture me of His attributes.

Simplistic?

Um ... yeah. Very. It isn't rocket science.

God is Love.

To me, it's just that simple.

Clearly we disagree.

And that's ok.

No two people have the same relationship with God.

really god has blessed this and many other countries from being in war with each other.
I know there are some people out there who dont believe in god but that is your problem......dont blame me if you die and dont go to heaven......no harsh feelings

I know there are some people out there who dont believe in god but that is your problem......dont blame me if you die and dont go to heaven......no harsh feelings

Damn.... imagine you die and find out there is no heaven, that must really suck!

This is one of those threads where people will never agree on anything. Isn't the whole point of believing that you hold true something that can never be proven and which does not manifest itself anywhere?

For those who want to say I am wrong.... sure, I might be. But I'll find out the same way as you will. So no need to argue the case with me; just read my signature.

Has any one ever watched the film were Billy Connelly sues God in court through head of churches in Australia. His boats blows up after being hit by lighting and the the Insurance company wont pay out because it is an act of God, so he sues the churches as they are gods Representatives. It is quite funny but it does have a point

Has any one ever watched the film were Billy Connelly sues God in court through head of churches in Australia. His boats blows up after being hit by lighting and the the Insurance company wont pay out because it is an act of God, so he sues the churches as they are gods Representatives. It is quite funny but it does have a point
There should be more of it.

I enjoyed reading the bio on Colonel Chamberlain. He was not only intellectually strong but an intuitive leader. And, yes, he should be lauded for ordering the bayonet church down the hill that shocked the Southern troops causing them to retreat in a disorderly fashion; and, so went the battle in Union favor. Isn't it amazing how the actions of just one man or woman can change the course of history.

Regarding your main point, your question. I believe the answer begins in a study of the founding fathers, not the battles and human events you mention. I do think your subject, your question's answer starts at the founding of the Nation. Many were Christian; and, some were deists, and they believed strongly in a God or a Divine Providence, an almighty creator, in a God but not in a religion in the case of deists. They were not only believers in God many were well studied in history, the classics and governments , and all were aware, knew especially the unacceptable rule of a king and a country, England. They not only were believers, they sensed a responsibility to their God or divine being to accomplish well what they did in the writing of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. I do not think that their sense of responsibility, personal life preparation, extensive study and developed intellect were "luck". And, we could argue all day on whether we are 'blessed' by God in the creation and survival of this unique Nation. I do not think anyone, however, can make an informed argument against the fact that these men that not only did they feel a responsibility to God as a Christian or deist to draft those two documents, they were very inspired or influenced by God or Divine Providence in what the documents should say and not say and the compromises made.

From my knowledge of history before this Nation's founding and since, there has not been another government constitution or anything resembling the Bill of Rights written with such wisdom, practicality, unselfish content, truly written for the benefit, freedoms and protection of the people. One way or another we were blessed. Also remarkable the documents are devoid of theology or a state religion. Call it proof or blessed inspired by or whatever but it has been most pragmatic to survive some two centuries since finally ratified with the last needed signatures on September 17, 1787, an 11 years after the 13 colonies declared independence from the King and England. If not "blessed", it is most remarkable in the history of man to not only survive longer than any other living "constitution" today, but to be written by men, many infused in faith in God but to not include their beliefs in religion in the Constitution, even to protect the people from an establishment of a state religion.

Maybe the real question may be, is such an infusion, belief in God as a Christian or Divine Providence as a deist the meaning of "blessed"? In other words, did or did not Divine Providence or "God", bless this nation through these men directly or indirectly? Whatever happened, this Nation has endured and our Constitution and Bill of Rights have served this nation well in providing a basis of governance that endures and continues today. They did a pretty good job of it. It was more than "luck" any way you slice it – Their God was part of them. Well, that at least adds some discussion of the beginning of the United States and how God may have acted or at least inspired, influenced it all.

I regret I do not have time and energy to discuss the events you mention beyond the founding and what was God's role. I apologize but my reading sources for attribution for a basis of my discussion on the founding fathers escapes me. Isn't it interesting that not all were Christians, politically correct 'go to church' men. Thank you for the opportunity to the discuss this subject with you.

Regards, Peter

*Thomas Jefferson did not actually participate in the drafting but his influence was far reaching enough to affect those doing the drafting. There were no Jews, atheists, Muslims among the founders, those who drafted the Constitution and Bill of Rights; only Christians and some deists.

The basic rule of war:

To understand war, you need to understand that there is no "Good" or "Evil" in war. Only the victor.

If "God" ever existed, he/she would be an stupid god for helping one people and dissing the others...

To understand war, you need to understand that there is no "Good" or "Evil" in war. Only the victor.

If "God" ever existed, he/she would be an stupid god for helping one people and dissing the others...

God is always present in war. But He is crying over his children killing each other, not vindicating any one side for invoking His name to justify violence when His own son died to example the power of peace and love to all.

Anyone who says that "God is on our side" knows nothing of the Epistles - or chooses to ignore them.

I had a CO giving a company pep talk and he was naming off all the things we were fighting for. I agreed with everything until he said God. That erked me a little bit. I didn't enlist to fight for God.

I had a CO giving a company pep talk and he was naming off all the things we were fighting for. I agreed with everything until he said God. That erked me a little bit. I didn't enlist to fight for God.

Well, he probably should have said, "The freedom to worship without prosecution." But "God" is the shorthand version, lol.

Ah, good ol' political correctness: removing brevity thirteen words at a time, lol.

Back