Ambulances




 
--
Ambulances
 
March 31st, 2012  
Trooper1854
 
 

Topic: Ambulances


Ambulances
"I didn't see it officer!"



We walked away from this one, bit saggy in the pants, but we walked away!

March 31st, 2012  
BritinBritain
 
 
I had a woman run into the back of my bus, a double decker Routemaster while I was at a bus stop. She said, "I didn't see you." I blinked and said, "You didn't see a bloody great bus?"
March 31st, 2012  
viper2007
 
 
The smashed front of ther alpha looked nasty. I hope none of the crew were injured, Trooper...

I like the cartoon part.

Some of the drivers here has a nasty habit of tail-gaiting any ambulance responding to a call, especially with the beacon lights activated, seems to think we are clearing the outermost lane for them.

Thats scares me quite a bit, as we are using Sprinters, too. If you are directly behind the vehicle, you can't see whats in front, and if the alpha were to apply any sudden braking, these clods will smash into our rear. It can be quite unnerving...
--
Ambulances
April 1st, 2012  
Trooper1854
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
I had a woman run into the back of my bus, a double decker Routemaster while I was at a bus stop. She said, "I didn't see you." I blinked and said, "You didn't see a bloody great bus?"
Remember taking an old retired judge into hospital because he had driven into
The back of a stationary bus. His injuries were minor so we wheeled him into A and E in
A wheel chair. As I pushed him through the doors I clipped the door with the chair
"You're not very good at driving this thing" he said as only an old judge could say it.
"At least I didn't hit a bus!" I replied.
April 1st, 2012  
Frances69
 
I like the cartoon part.
April 1st, 2012  
Trooper1854
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper2007
Some of the drivers here has a nasty habit of tail-gaiting any ambulance responding to a call, especially with the beacon lights activated, seems to think we are clearing the outermost lane for them.
...
Happens a lot here too. Very infuriating as it is extremely dangerous.
Drivers move out of the way for the ambulance and then want to pull back into traffic ASAP, not expecting another vehicle to be there.
If we are folllowing another ambulance, Police, or fire engine which is also on blues & twos, we are taught to leave a large space between us to allow for the suicidal way drivers throw themselves back into traffic once the first vehicle passes by.
These bumper huggers risk a hell of a lot to do it!
A guy in my area was caught doing it and was given six months for dangerous driving! As well as loosing his license and being made to re-test to get it back.
Also pedestrians dashing across the road infront of an ambulance on an emergencyy call is very annoying! Like they can't wait the few seconds it takes for us to go by, either that or they think it doesn't hurt to get hit by the ambulance!
April 1st, 2012  
jillyz12
 
 
I've come to the conclusion that most people drive with their heads firmly lodged in their arses, Trooper. In my city, I constantly see drivers who just can't be bothered to pull over to the curb to allow emergency vehicles to go by. I wish I had the authority to arrest every one of their inconsiderate butts!!!

I'm glad you and your colleagues weren't hurt by bonehead that hit your van.
April 1st, 2012  
Trooper1854
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyz12
I'm glad you and your colleagues weren't hurt by bonehead that hit your van.
Thank you, we were lucky as it was a truck that hit us.
The real sickner was when we found out we were going out to some ding a ling who didn't really need an Ambulance any way. He had a cold and wanted some thing for his head ache!
So, the first ambulance is involved in a crash, and two further ambulances are dispatched to that incident and another has to go to the initial call.
So out of six vehicles covering our area, one head ache has taken up four of them!
April 1st, 2012  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
"I didn't see it officer!"



We walked away from this one, bit saggy in the pants, but we walked away!


I hope you didn't have a client in the ambulance, glad to hear you all walked away safe
April 1st, 2012  
viper2007
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper1854
Happens a lot here too. Very infuriating as it is extremely dangerous.
Drivers move out of the way for the ambulance and then want to pull back into traffic ASAP, not expecting another vehicle to be there.
If we are folllowing another ambulance, Police, or fire engine which is also on blues & twos, we are taught to leave a large space between us to allow for the suicidal way drivers throw themselves back into traffic once the first vehicle passes by.
These bumper huggers risk a hell of a lot to do it!
A guy in my area was caught doing it and was given six months for dangerous driving! As well as loosing his license and being made to re-test to get it back.
Also pedestrians dashing across the road infront of an ambulance on an emergencyy call is very annoying! Like they can't wait the few seconds it takes for us to go by, either that or they think it doesn't hurt to get hit by the ambulance!
I was once tailed by a motorist while conveying a casualty to a hospital- his reason? To see if this is a real genuine case and not because "I was on a thrill ride" (according to him). This clown even peered into the ambulance to mak sure. I told him that my ambulance is not for sale, very loudly, the attending nurse at the A&E was laughing her head off by that comment.

Yup, pedestrians dashing across the road at the last minute can be pretty annoying, too. Some of the cheek to tell you that they have the right of way! I always replied that they are right- it is the right of way to a grave!

Some road users can really be annoying...