An amazing class: Arleigh Burke

Lunatik

USS_Arleigh_Burke_Mediterranean.jpg

I just want to say that the Arleigh Burke class destroyer as a class of military vessels is quite amazing. When you look at the numbers it is simply staggering. The US Navy has 51 Arleigh Burke class destroyers in service and about 20 on order or being constructed (assuming 8-11 additional hulls with cancellation of DDG-1000).

That 51 in service constitutes about 445,900 tons of displacement, 4728 VLS tubes, and about 16,500 enlisted personnel and officers. That is more men, tonnage, as well as firepower than most navies of the world.

Just wow! :cool:

They really are amazing machines. Some of the spookier details are pretty incredible, too - if you ever get the chance to go in the CIC of either a Tico or a Burke, take it.

I agree..a beautiful machine it is indeed.

I worked on Spruance class destroyers at the ingalls shipyard in mississippi when i was young. Those were complicated ships. The arliegh burkes make the spruance seem a little dated.

And yes, we did buzz a soviet submarine during sea trials of the spruance: they were very astonded of the speed recovery of a jet turbined powered ship. kinda like 0 to 45 in a couple of minutes. :CG:

The Burke Class destroyers have proven to be great ships. On 12/31/09 the USS Ross was hit by a rogue wave, causing a half inch crack in the hull and damaging the sonar. Still the ship continued on with its voyage. They are durable, state of the art, numerous and a good buy for the US Navy.

The USS Ross being hit by a rogue wave to my knowledge is the first time the USN has acknowledged the existence of rogue waves!

URL;
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=9457282

We used to call those things Robo Cruisers, we actually thought they were remote control at one point when they first came out

Originally, that term was used just for the Ticonderoga Class aegis cruisers.

Yea I know, we called those Robo cruisers too.
when I was on the Ike we had the Tico pull along side us to get some JP for her engines.

Awh, one of those Arleigh-Burke class destroyers, the USS O'Kane (DDG-77) was my baby! I precommed her, was there for her mast-stepping & launch from Bath, Maine.
Sailed her to her homeport: Pearl Harbor, HI.
We played wargames against a few other nations & sub fleet there. Good times!
It's interesting how a "surface target" can hide but she was fast & our skipper, tricky. :D

Looks normal on the outside, but from the reputation, it's gotta be beautiful. Actually, I heard about the Arleigh Burke, but was too lazy to search or do anything to find about it. Thanks for this useful post!

having had the honor of being a plankowner (ships company before the ship is comissioned) on the USS Momsen DDG 92 and now serving on the USS Halsey DDG 97, these Aegis destroyers are absolutely incredible in what they are capable of doing..

it's no wonder that they, or their idea have been copied by so many foreign navy's (Japan, and South Korea directly, with Norway, Spain, and Australia indirectly in making a frigate size Aegis warship)

Back