I am training for the military, Pararescue.

Kevinms

Hello all, I have been thinking about joining the military for quite some time now, I am 24 years old and not interested in school, I dont want to live a life of going to an office everyday and working with a computer or paperwork, I want to be physical, I want to travel, I want to feel like I am making some kind of difference in the world or at least on peoples lives, it seems to me like the military is a good option for me.

I looked through all the branches and it seems like the Army and Marines are more of the rough type while the Air Fore and Navy have more technical jobs, as I looked through the different jobs I always ending up wanting something physical, like if it was the Navy I was interested in SEALS and AIRR, for a while I ended up wanting to join the Marines and that was the branch I had in mind, my Marine friend said I should look into the Air Force and I found out about Pararescue.

I love the motto that they have "That Others May Live"; I much rather have my main mission be to save people rather than to fight (I know that PJ's fight as well) and I am fascinated by the toughness of the training and drive it takes to be a PJ or any SO's in general.

I am starting to wake up early and do push ups, sit ups, pull ups, running and I will start swimming soon, I must admit I am a bit worried because while I am not fat or anything I have never really been an athlete, I never really been in what I would call great shape or anything, I wonder how long it will take me to exceed those basic PAST requirements.

I understand what SO's entails, it is not for the faint of heart, it is not for the physically or mentally weak.

On one end I wonder if I should join the Air Force then volunteer for PJ later on or try to get PJ in my contract from the get go, I want to join the military soon (as in this year) but I wonder how much time I need to really be prepared physically for indoc. i just hear these stories of one having to be in phenomenal shape and athletic in order to stand a chance and considering I was never an athlete its something to think about, still mentality I hear is what is truly important, never quit, rather die than quit, that is the attitude that is needed.

So why do I want to be a PJ? Because I want that sense of accomplishment, I want to be able to be able to push myself harder then even I thought, I want to be able to save peoples lives and be proud that I made a difference in peoples lives, I want the camaraderie that these men share, I want a life where I travel to different places and feel like I am actually living, not in an office all day doing the same ol everyday, I dont know if those are good reasons but its my honest thoughts.

Anyway I just wanted to share this and if anyone has any tips for my situation it would be much appreciated, thanks.

I must say, you have chosen one of the most difficult and demanding of the special forces. These are men who must be prepared to go into harms way to rescue others, even at the risk of their own lives. At the U.S. Air Force Museum at Wright-patterson Air Force Base, Dayton, Ohio is the Hall of Honor. You would think that it filled with tributes to fighter pilots. No so. many of the heroes listed in it's gallery were those who gave their lives to save others.
A P.J. or parachute Jumper an Air Rescue Crewman must be in superb physical condition, a skilled swimmer and medical technician and still capable of fighting in order to save himself and his patient. More importantly, he must be mentally mature; able to weight risks and options and capable of doing this job for several years, either on active duty or in the reserves.
Few men can do this.
I have known some of these men. there are few finer specimens. These are men willing to risk their lives for others. An Air Force pilot knows he or she can count on these guys in the worst possible circumstances. The pilot knows they will try to save him or die trying.
In regard to your qualifications" you either have it or you don't. You can't learn what it takes to be a P.J. It's something your born with.

Back