Am I too tall to join the Armoured Battalion?

I am 16 years old, and I am considering a number of jobs to do when I join the Australian Army and the one which I think I would enjoy the most is joining the Australian Armoured Battalion. However, I am a bit worried I might not be accepted because of my height.

I am fairly tall for my age at 1.93 meters (That's 6.3 feet), and I weigh in at about 90kg (198 pounds). Fortunately, I seemed to have stopped growing since I have only grown about half a centimeter in one year, so all I really need to worry about (In my opinion) is my weight, since the ideal weight for my height is about 80-85kg but I should be able to fix that up in a few months.

The armoured battalion is appealing to me because my Father & both my godparents drove T-55 tanks in Europe during the Cold War, so I guess I am sort of influenced by them. I talked to my godfather about it, and he says that I probably wont be accepted because I am too tall to fit comfortably in the tank.

At the present time, Australia uses the M1 Abrams tank, though I THINK we might still use some Leopard 1's for training purposes only. I want to ask anyone here with any sort of tank experience to help me out on this. The M1 Abrams is a lot bigger than the T-55, so hopefully my godfather is wrong but I am still worried about my chances of being accepted.

Any help would be appreciated :salute2:

Well I don't know about the Aus Military, but in the Canadian Military there is no real limit to how tall you can be in. I have a friend who is 6 feet 8'' and he is a tanker. (Driver now gunner). Call your local Recruitment center and ask. I would even call 2 centers to make sure i get the correct information.

Hope this helps.

For one it is the Royal Australian Armoured Corps, and this Corps is made up of Regiments. I would suggest your best bet is to call recruiting 131901 and ask them about your height, but I would think that you should be right.

Back