I am looking to an STG-44...

MontyB

All-Blacks Supporter
I have finally got the paperwork to buy one and now I have to find one does anyone know of good source web sites I can start watching or make contact with?
- The only real restriction is that it has to be genuine and of WW2 vintage which means built within the production dates 1943- May 1945 ie no replica's or reproductions.

Tracking one of these things down is becoming rather frustrating especially when I can buy shares in an ME-110 or FW-190 buried in Russia far easier than I can find one of these rifles.

hehe well if the worst comes to worst I will buy half an FW-190. :p

The STG44 and FG-42 are the last remaining weapons I have on my list of "German wants" but neither of them are cheap or easy to come by. Next on my list will be Italian items.

Last edited:
But MontyB, a STG-44 is a evil assault rifle... the same as my AR-15. Plus it's an Automatic and not Semi-Automatic.

As for getting one... I have no clue. The US Market dried up in 1968 when the Gun Control Act prevent any foreign made automatic weapon being imported into the USA> So what is here is here and the prices are sky high.... like $100,000 US.

But MontyB, a STG-44 is a evil assault rifle... the same as my AR-15. Plus it's an Automatic and not Semi-Automatic.

As for getting one... I have no clue. The US Market dried up in 1968 when the Gun Control Act prevent any foreign made automatic weapon being imported into the USA> So what is here is here and the prices are sky high.... like $100,000 US.

I have seen one on sale here for $2500 about 5 years ago but nothing since, I am guessing my best option is to scour European collections and more than likely Russian sources.
I am resigned to what ever I get needing a lot of restoration work but I am not too worried about that either.

Europe would certainly be a good place to start, but I'd be very careful dealing with anyone out of the former Soviet Union. They do have most things, and everything is for sale, but there are a lot of scammers out there too.

True enough, the plan will be to see what I can find and then take a few weeks to go and check out the item in person.

I am in no hurry, I have been waiting for permits now for almost 2 years so another few months wont matter. Funny thing is that the hardest permit to get was from the Bio-security crowd due to restrictions on importing items containing wood.

Aahhh,.. yes,.. If you are able to go in person, that puts a somewhat better light on it. But remember, the Russkies are fond of paperwork also, preferably sandwiched in US Dollars. Better if you can arrange the transfer somewhere in Europe through a dealer.

Good luck!!

Aahhh,.. yes,.. If you are able to go in person, that puts a somewhat better light on it. But remember, the Russkies are fond of paperwork also, preferably sandwiched in US Dollars. Better if you can arrange the transfer somewhere in Europe through a dealer.

Good luck!!

There are lots of options here I think the STG-44 was issued to the East German armed forces and police up until 1962 and apparently both the Yugoslav and Czech military used it straight after the war.

Well to date finding this weapon has turned out a lot easier than I expected, I have been given contacts for 5 of them in various states of repair spanning $1500 - $30000 NZD, the most expensive of which comes with a lot of spares and the Vampir IR-Scope.

Currently I am getting information on them to pass on for authentication purposes but its looking promising.

Interestingly enough while searching the net for auctions etc. I found one for sale in the USA for $22000 USD.

Incidently here is a picture of the one for sale in the USA.

MP44.jpg

It looks to be in very good condition and if in Arizona so I could get the in laws to check it out for me although I am not sure what hassles the US would have in me buying it and shipping it out of the country.

Interestingly enough it has fallen in price since I have been looking at them.

Last edited:
I have wanted one of them from the day that I knew it existed, its funny but although the MP-38/40 was more "iconic" it has never really interested as much as the STG-44 and FG-42.

Very much like the B.A.R and Thompson for Allied weaponry have become iconic symbols of the time.

Last edited:
Well to date finding this weapon has turned out a lot easier than I expected, I have been given contacts for 5 of them in various states of repair spanning $1500 - $30000 NZD, the most expensive of which comes with a lot of spares and the Vampir IR-Scope.

Currently I am getting information on them to pass on for authentication purposes but its looking promising.

Interestingly enough while searching the net for auctions etc. I found one for sale in the USA for $22000 USD.

Just for the record, how would you get it apporved for import to NZ? No way we would be able to import it here. I heard it took 30 days for our Presidential guard to get their .303s back after the parade at Delville Wood.

Apparently there's a lot of them still being used by insurgents in Iraq, you might make a field trip there ;)

I'm honestly not sure where to find a legal one, especially in NZ. Good luck in your search!

Just for the record, how would you get it apporved for import to NZ? No way we would be able to import it here. I heard it took 30 days for our Presidential guard to get their .303s back after the parade at Delville Wood.

You have to get a permit to purchase the item which requires a collectors license, once you have that its just a matter of finding the item you want.

The difficulty is not getting it into this country but getting approval for it to be shipped from the country of origin.
As far as we are concerned it will be shipped as any other imported item but on arrival it will be impounded at customs where I have to produce a valid procurement document which is then checked against police records and assuming all is in order will be handed over.

Once I have it at home I then pass on its details to local police who will more than likely do a quick inspection of the storage facilities and that will be it.

Last edited:
You have to get a permit to purchase the item which requires a collectors license, once you have that its just a matter of finding the item you want.

The difficulty is not getting it into this country but getting approval for it to be shipped from the country of origin.
As far as we are concerned it will be shipped as any other imported item but on arrival it will be impounded at customs where I have to produce a valid procurement document which is then checked against police records and assuming all is in order will be handed over.

Once I have it at home I then pass on its details to local police who will more than likely do a quick inspection of the storage facilities and that will be it.

All I have to do is pay the cost of the rifle, send off a $200 tax to BATFE since it's a Full Auto. And it's mine.

No issue with getting the Federal and Local Police to inspect my house for storage.

Good luck finding one....

As for exporting one for the US. You have to talk to US Department of State and BATFE.

All I have to do is pay the cost of the rifle, send off a $200 tax to BATFE since it's a Full Auto. And it's mine.

No issue with getting the Federal and Local Police to inspect my house for storage.

To be honest I don't see a 20 minute discussion at the local police station while I fill out the paperwork that onerous.

Once I have the permit the rest of the bureaucracy is in importing the weapon and getting it out of the country of origin which I would have regardless of whether I was importing a tanks or a used car.

Good luck finding one....

So far I have found about 15 units for sale all of which are in excellent condition (I have also found a ton of excavated ones which people are interested in selling for restoration) and I have been dealing with a couple of German collectors in terms of getting them all authenticated before I head there to actually buy it.

With luck I will have it all sorted and home in a couple of months.

As for exporting one for the US. You have to talk to US Department of State and BATFE.

I am hoping to have the in laws inspect the one in Arizona and if it is all above board I will then look into how I can have it shipped here (ie. what US laws I need to meet to get it legitimately out of the country).

Apparently there's a lot of them still being used by insurgents in Iraq, you might make a field trip there ;)

I'm honestly not sure where to find a legal one, especially in NZ. Good luck in your search!

Some made in Yugoslavia, and the Old Eastern Block that were sold to Mid East Countries in the 70's and 80's but not really that many. I saw 3 examples during my tour. You'll see more Sterlings, Stens, Brens, and SMLE's as well as K98's than you will Stg44/45's. You will see a crap load of G-3's,AK's FN's, and M16's.

Back