I am heartbroken

BritinBritain

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Today Merlin, my best buddy was diagnosed with cancer and had to be put to sleep.

I am going to miss him so much.

Rest in peace my boy.

Attachments

• Merlin.jpg
    Merlin.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 11
I am so sorry, BA. I know how painful that is. :cry: But I believe in heaven, and I believe that Merlin will be there waiting for you when your time here is through. God bless.

I know how hard it is. As a kid I had to have Adam put down. He was my Black Lab and was a great hunting dog, pet, and friend to a kid. Currently Daisy is with Lung Cancer... the vet said that it's not hurting her and that she will simply pass away one day while sleeping. I'm grateful that I don't have to put her down but I wish she didn't have to have cancer either.

In the end pets are more then property; they are family. They give use nothing but love, compassion, and friendship.

I always ask that pet owners follow these rules.

meh.ro6498.jpg

Sorry to hear that. When I was 14, my Sheltie died in my lap on the way to the vet. He was 14 too. :(

Brit, as it has happened to me just on this Christmas eve (and with two friends gone, double impact, as reported here on this forum: http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/614811-post.html) I can imagine how you are feeling...

Maybe the little vid I posted can help you along? It sure did for me...

Addressing the replies, dont recall now who posted them, but at a certain age those 10 canine commandments become complicated (at my age, e.g.): There is a certain probability that you will be the one gone in the life time of your friend, and they cannot rationalize as we can and will suffer feeling abandoned (we have a terrier here that since two years is sitting in front of the tomb of his master all day, no way you can seperate him during daylight, he will accept food and water during the night, but then the next day he will be siiting there again... will take a pic and post it here), so having a dog when you are past 50 becomes a double edged sword as far as responsibility goes.

For me, at last, I have more dogs and even a new cat (will post pics here as well soon), and it is embracing the future living and loving the past.

FWIW,

Rattler

Mr Brit,

I am really sorry to hear of your loss. From what you've wrote about Merlin, I am sure he means a lot to you. It is painful, I know, as I too, have a pet and sometimes I just wonder if one day, I will the same when, as you do, when the time comes for me...

My consolation to you is that you have the good memories of the time that you've spent with Merlin, and that is something no one can take away from you...

Sometimes, pets are just no longer pets, they are like family to us...

Thank you all for your kind words, they do mean a lot to me.

When Merlin came home as a puppy, he was actually bought for my daughter, but for some reason he and I bonded so strongly. He was forever by my side, I couldn't move without him. He was my dog

I know the pain I have now will begin to ease as time goes by, but his love, faithfulness and devotion are going to be ingrained into my heart until the day I die.

He was only five years old last month, the whole family is devastated, he had such a massive impact on everyone.

Merlin is being cremated, when his ashes are brought home I'm going to scatter them on my property where he use to run and play.

Thank you all once again.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your kind words, they do mean a lot to me.

When Merlin came home as a puppy, he was actually bought for my daughter, but for some reason he and I bonded so strongly. He was forever by my side, I couldn't move without him. He was my dog

I know the pain I have now will begin to ease as time goes by, but his love, faithfulness and devotion are going to be ingrained into my heart until the day I die.

He was only five years old last month, the whole family is devastated, he had such a massive impact on everyone.

Merlin is being cremated, when his ashes are brought home I'm going to scatter them on my property where he use to run and play.

Thank you all once again.

The only thing we can do is love them, treat them well, and enjoy the time we have with them because that is what they do with us. Sadly everything has a day in which it ceases being. Everything from you and I to the Sun and the Universe itself.

All we can do is be just, honest, caring, supportive, and enjoy every second we have. My pets are family to me and I would in no way treat them mean or bad. I love them as much as I love my parents and my Girlfriend. Hold them close to your heart and never forget them.

With the passage of time it is not that things become easier it is that we grow accustomed to it. I still miss Adam (my Black Lab) as much today as I did the day he passed. All I know is that he's up there on some cloud chasing ducks, splashing in the water, and eating everything that he could get his mouth on.

Merlin must be doing the same except he's doing it with one of those funny South African Accents. For all we know him and Adam are discussing the finer points dog food and what is the better scratch; the one behind the ears or the one just at the top of the rump.

After 14 years, I reacted aggressively to the pain. As soon as I returned home I took the dog's basket and accessories into the garden and burned them. The pain was so sharp that I vowed then never to have another dog, because I would not wish to suffer the pain of parting again. That was 1974.:cry:

I know that others find solace in welcoming a new best friend as soon as possible, I can understand that.

Last edited:
You know, when my last pet cat died (he was with us for 12 years!), I vowed not to have another pet- the pain then was just too much!. That was 6 years ago...

Then, about a year ago, my second son brought back this scrawny little kitten home, He said that he and his friends found it during one of their night manouver exercise. I believe him, becasue this kitten had rifle oil all over her, and she smelt of gunpowder. So reluctantly, we decided to adopt her, and started to nurse her back to health.

Now, she is doing fine. I do not need an alarm clock, as she will wake all of us at 6am sharp. How she does it? By simply going very close to your ears, and starts purring. She is close to a the whole family, especially my third son. Sometimes, I wonder if it is she that had adopted us...

So Mr Brit, I may not believe in reincarnation, but I do believe that sometimes GOD do reward us in mysterious ways. Be sad, that is your right, but do not despair...

Last edited:
I dunno how I missed this,... but my deep sympathy is no less real for the delay.

Our Great Dane had to be put down 14 years ago with cancer in his spine. Both the wife and I decided that we would never have another dog, he was the same age as our son and they grew up together and were inseparable.

We've had cats since then, but cats, because of their lifestyle only live on borrowed time. Never the less we love and care for them, ($580 for brown snake bite anti venene, $250 for an X-ray) but they are their own people and when they die, we just shed a tear for all the happy memories, and bury them up the back block in the family pet cemetery with their predecessors. Within days, Geoff, our local vet, sends someone with a box of kittens, to knock on our door and take our pick, and we save another life.

Life must go on, and the happy memories only improve with age.

Last edited:
I am overwhelmed by the feelings that you my friends have expressed over my loss of Merlin. I thank you each and everyone of you, I regret that I cannot shake you all by the hand and say thank you in person.

I will get another German Shepherd, not to replace Merlin, no other dog will ever replace my boy, but in his memory.

Thank you all once again, you have helped me more then you can ever imagine.

Viper wrote, "Sometimes, I wonder if it is she that had adopted us.."

I have always said,
"We don't adopt them, they do adopt us,
we don't own them, they own us,
they are not our pets, we are theirs."

Last edited:
Back