Am i banned from Xbox live

Mr KillKill

I just signed up for an account with Xbox live, I went to play COD4 on multiplayer but got a message saying that my profile could not play on Xbox live.
I don’t know if this means I’m banned but if it does then why am I still allowed to download stuff from the marketplace? And yes the console is flashed.

Im not a profesional, but a great place to ask and a place I 120% guarantee you that you will get a reply within a 12-16 hours is here:

http://www.cod4forums.com/index.php?act=idx

Incase you dont have the time to make an account and post there, ill do my best to help you out [Note: Im a PS3/PSN user, I loathe Xbox 360 but as a previous owner I do have some knowledge].

Well, what stuff were you downloading? If you were capable of downloading anything from a single arcade game to one of the expansions of GTA then we must presume you are not banned.

What have you exactly been doing online? And I mean pretty much everything. Have you been using vulgar language excessively? Have you been extremely racist? HAve you tried to use hax?

If you used hax, your definitely f*cked. It also depends on how you play. You said you tried to get onto COD4? Do you go Hidezilla style and just get a ghillie suit and hide in the middle of the grass for the entire game without doing jack schitt? If so then you got banned for that, my friend got banned from XBox Live for just camping. People reported him, apparently.

I had an acount in the past and used it once almost a year ago to test out the multiplayer function of live and played GTA4 online a few times had no hassels, no use of bad language etc or any other indiscrtions.
Never really got into multiplayer to be honest so basically had the console disconnected until I reconnected it the other day, I tried to sign in but forgot the password (and the security question:roll:) so created a new account and signed in, all seemed OK and then I loaded up COD4 as my first game which loaded OK, then when I clicked on multiplayer I got a message that said I "couldn't sign into Xbox live with that profile".
Tried GTA4 as I knew this game had worked OK in the past but when I tried to log into multiplayer it said that I needed to log into Xbox live then shortly after this message a small icon in the top right side of the screen came up saying that I was now disconnected from Xbox live (?)
Don't really know whats going on and as for the download from the marketplace, it was episode games from Fable II and downloaded OK.
Hope this gives you a bit more to work with cheers

Holy ****, you can be banned from Xbox Live just for CAMPING? It's a legit tactic!

This is why I hate centralized game matchmaking services like Xbox Live and Games for Windows with a passion - you have only one identity in each game and a single slight can have you banned from every single game in the system. Not to mention paying for DLC. To any PC gamer, the whole concept's absurd. I'm glad I have a PS3 and a PC - Steam is offensive enough alone, but at least if you get banned it's because you were in fact cheating. I tell you one thing, I ever host a dedicated server the ONLY rules will be 1) No hacking or exploiting 2) Respect the admin.

Xbox Live is particularly hellish, packed with prepubescent little turds insistent on using every profanity they know just because you shot them in the face repeatedly.

So are you still using the new account you created? If you only paid for one Live account you may have to find a way to get that password back to play online (unless you want to buy another Live subscription).

Last edited:
Holy ****, you can be banned from Xbox Live just for CAMPING? It's a legit tactic!

I think that included PSN users and PC gamers, yes. But thats only for COD4, not sure about other games.

And its not necessarily camping. Im pretty sure your familiar with COD4, right? Well if your playing as the Spetsnaz or SAS and choose a Sniper as a primary weapon [M40 is my choice :sniper:] you will get a ghillie suit, and you can blend into the grass really easily.

But if you go on search and destroy [S&D] and just camp for the all the rounds in the middle of the grass, doing literally nothing, you will get banned for it.

Its a bit strange, but im not worried about it. I never camp, I dont have the patience for it.

I had an acount in the past and used it once almost a year ago to test out the multiplayer function of live and played GTA4 online a few times had no hassels, no use of bad language etc or any other indiscrtions.
Never really got into multiplayer to be honest so basically had the console disconnected until I reconnected it the other day, I tried to sign in but forgot the password (and the security question:roll:) so created a new account and signed in, all seemed OK and then I loaded up COD4 as my first game which loaded OK, then when I clicked on multiplayer I got a message that said I "couldn't sign into Xbox live with that profile".
Tried GTA4 as I knew this game had worked OK in the past but when I tried to log into multiplayer it said that I needed to log into Xbox live then shortly after this message a small icon in the top right side of the screen came up saying that I was now disconnected from Xbox live (?)
Don't really know whats going on and as for the download from the marketplace, it was episode games from Fable II and downloaded OK.
Hope this gives you a bit more to work with cheers

Well, this is a bit put of my reach but I suggest you go on the link I provided before for good help.

Well i think that you need to pay extra for any more accounts on Xbox Live, so that account you made isnt registered so you cant play online. But for some reason you can download stuff..

I strongly reccomend you use the link i provided, its an extremely reliable source for any type of gamer.

Well i think that you need to pay extra for any more accounts on Xbox Live, so that account you made isnt registered so you cant play online. But for some reason you can download stuff..

This seems an odd tactic by MS as what happens if you decide to sell your Xbox and the new owner wants to set up an account or someone wants to play on your console using their own account.

Anyway have post my question at http://www.cod4forums.com/index.php?act=idx as you suggested so will see what they say and let you know the outcome.
Cheers

Yeah I'm happy with the Steam multiplayer game system and anything else seems to be weird. Also there are lots of servers that allow for foul language and crazy talk (the ones that are 18+). Lots of cool people there.

Are your sure you have a gold membership and not just a silver? If you only have a silver membership, you can download game add-ons but you can't play online. An easy way to tell is on your dashboard when you first start up, you will see your avatar. Look to the left of him and it will say "xbox live gold signed in" if it says that, you should have no problems getting online.
As far as getting banned for camping in COD4, that's somewhat true. You don't actually get "banned" you just get booted from that particular game and are free to join another one. Anyone can be booted from any game by a simple vote from the other players.

I have a free membership but I had one before and no probs playing multiplayer, if you have to start paying just to play on multiplayer then sod Microsft I'll just play with my 3 best friends...me, myself & I

EDIT
Just checked cod4forums and by the looks of things XBL lets you know by e-mail if they've banned you (no e-mail yet) and you only get a month for free with a max of three accounts. I guess I must have made some other accounts that I forgot about, it was over a year ago after all and I think I was having trouble working it all out so who knows.
Like I said before, this seems a strange way of doing business on MS's part, especially if you end up selling your console later. If you want downloads I can understand them wanting money as these are programes (games whatever) which are products but the ability to play online should be a standard freebie.
Oh well no biggie, i was never really into multiplayer but it would have been nice to have the feature

Last edited:
Was it like a trial membership?
To be honest i can't remember but from memory there is a section during the signup where it asks if you want to pay for a membership or you can continue on with the signup without choosing a payment, which is what I did which is why i was calling it a free account.
I didn't pay for a membership the last time nor this time either so am guessing that I filled out the form the same way this time round

It is kinda crappy that you have to pay to play but I think you're getting the impression that your gamertag is tied to your xbox. That isn't true. Your gamertag is seperate from your Xbox. You can use it on any xbox anywhere. Which is kind of a nice feature. If you go to a friends house to game, you just enter your email and password and it retrieves your gamertag. Then you have all your achievemnets right there. Microsoft actually did that part pretty well.

Yes you're right, wasn't really thinking it through about the gametag

However, and I probably should have mentioned this earlier, when I created my current gametag I also created a new e-mail account so the tag was exclusive to that e-mail account and I have no other gametags on that e-mail account. Theoretically XBL should only recognise this as one gametag on this new e-mail account rather than the several I may have made on my main e-mail account. Since I haven't recieved a dirty e-mail on this new e-mail account I'm guessing I'm not banned but it still leaves me back at square one :-?

EDIT
Sorry have been writing this from work, just got home and checked my XBL account and its the Silver membership so I guess that means I can't play online thanks for everyones help though

Last edited:
Oh, so it was a trial membership. Explains a fair bit, also the silver membership stuff.

Well seems like your question is solved! Told you that link was reliable lol.

Back