Alonso Pulls Suzuka Stunner

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
http://www.racingone.com/print.asp?artnum=31515

Complete Results | Standings: Drivers | Constructors

In a major twist to the 2006 FIA Formula One season, Michael Schumacher’s Ferrari engine blew up as he was leading the Fuji Television Japanese Grand Prix with 17 laps remaining, handing the race victory and championship lead to rival Fernando Alonso in the penultimate event of the season.

Schumacher, who started from the outside pole and led the majority of the way until his powerplant gave up, was setting a torrid pace at the Suzuka International Racetrack – having lapped eight of the 22 drivers on course in an event that saw only one retirement with 20 laps remaining – and was well on his way to capturing his seventh triumph at the circuit.

Then, everything blew up for the seven time world champion - both literally and figuratively – as the Ferrari team experienced their first engine failure since the 2001 United States Grand Prix, and first for Schumacher since the 2000 French Grand Prix.

"Our team is great. The boys are the best I know. I'm very satisfied with all our mechanics and engineers in Ferrari. That's racing. You win and lose together," Schumacher told the press after the race. "Today we all tried hard. We were first but lost the engine. That's Formula One. I'm not very disappointed. Life and racing is like this."

Alonso, who was running just 5.5 seconds behind of Schumacher at the time, took over the race lead and handily won what appears to be the final Formula One event at the 3.608-mile circuit. Starting next season, the Japanese Grand Prix will be contested at the Fuji Speedway.

It is the Spaniard’s seventh victory this season, but first since the Canadian Grand Prix in late June. It is also the 25-year-old’s 15th career victory with Renault F1 Team, who he will be leaving at the end of the year to drive for Team McLaren Mercedes beginning in 2007.

"This win is a surprise for us all, a beautiful surprise," admitted Alonso. "After qualifying, Ferrari seemed to be a long way in front, but as soon as we started racing today, I could feel that the car was well-balanced, and that we had the same speed as Ferrari.

"Victory means a lot, not only for me but the team as well. We deserved this victory from a long time ago, from Hungary we were ready to win and we never finished the job. We never expected second, so victory is even better."

With the win, Alonso takes a dominating lead in both major Formula One championships. In the Drivers World Championship, he breaks a mathematical tie he had with Schumacher coming into the weekend and heads to the final event of the year in Brazil with a 10-point lead. In the constructor’s standings, his victory coupled with a third place result for teammate Giancarlo Fisichella gives their Renault F1 Team a nine point cushion.

That lead in the Constructor’s Championship would actually be higher if not for polesitter Felipe Massa’s runner up finish for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro.

Massa was able to hold onto the position despite a puncture to one of his Bridgestone tires during his first stint – which he feels cost him a shot at the victory.

"I also had a problem in the first stint, with a puncture in my right rear wheel, which had led to a slow but gradual loss of air," said Massa. "As a precaution, the team brought me in for my pit stop three laps earlier than planned. I went out on track behind a slower car and that cost me my chances of staying ahead of Alonso and, as things turned out, of winning the race."

Nonetheless, the result gives the Brazilian sole possession of third place in the standings.

Fisichella, Jenson Button and defending race winner Kimi Raikkonen rounded out the top five with Jarno Trulli, Ralf Schumacher and Nick Heidfeld completing the points paying finishers.

Christijan Albers and David Coulthard join Schumacher, Mark Webber and Scott Speed in the retirement list at Suzuka.

Despite today’s result, both championships will still be on the line as Formula One’s teams and drivers travel to South America for the running of the season ending Grand Prix of Brazil on October 22.

Back