Alligators Vs. Crocs

speaking of which...
some idiot caught a baby alligator out on a lake yesterday (we had a huge friggin party on a local freshwater lake). He got bitten sideways on the nose- he was bleeding from both sides of his nasal passages.

SNowblind... there are over 1 million alligators in the state of Louisiana alone. We saw 15 within 300 feet of each other last sunday. Just because you don't see them... doesn't mean they aren't there. There are over 1 million whitetailed deer in LA as well- but there's only about 1 deer killed for 4 hunter efforts.

Or they stay in a little hole right across from the game warden's camp, where hard-working folks like me can't get to them.

There are a million deer in La?

deerslayer, I didnt say anything about there being an underpopulation of gators, I know there are lots of them-hell I have my own gator head:cheers:

crocodiles stick to south-western florida and the everglades, among other regions lacking people

crocs can get HUGE, i saw one that must have been 13 feet long, nasty brute

Gatorhead sounds painful, worse than braces even.
:)

On the serious tip, are you trying to tell me there are crocodiles in CONUS??

bulldogg said:
Gatorhead sounds painful, worse than braces even.
:)

On the serious tip, are you trying to tell me there are crocodiles in CONUS??

There are American crocs, in the US, they're in Florida and their numbers are pretty limited, about 500 or so. They can get up to 18 - 20 feet in South America, but that's pretty rare in the US. I think most, of what we consider large, are between 10 and 13.

Ok... I did not know that. When I think croc I think Africa and Australia, alligator I figure on North America and caymens in South America... gonna rethink my freshwater swimming habits now. :)

bulldogg said:
Ok... I did not know that. When I think croc I think Africa and Australia, alligator I figure on North America and caymens in South America... gonna rethink my freshwater swimming habits now. :)

lol The N. American crocs are different than the ones down in S. America as far as attitude. They aren't around people, so attacks are very very very rare, and the ones down in S. America are more aggressive and are around people. They're nothing like Aussie and African crocs though, esp Aussie, those suckers get BIG and they're just down right mean.

bulldogg said:
lol, I haven't been higher than chest high in an ocean...Just freaks me out between saltwater crocs and sharks...If you have ever been in an airplane or a helicopter over the Gulf Shores, you can see the sharks swimmin' around. It's scary to see the people and the sharks only a few yards away....

I saw a show about Cuban alligators... apparently these buggers are not as big but every bit as mean and aggressive as the salt-water crocs of northern Australia.

bulldogg said:
I saw a show about Cuban alligators... apparently these buggers are not as big but every bit as mean and aggressive as the salt-water crocs of northern Australia.
Are you trying to make me afraid of the Florida Waters?!? LOL...I think I heard there was a better chance of you being struck by lightning twice than you being bitten by a North American Alligator...I don't know if that's exactly right....

the majority of your problems between humans and crocs or gators is habitat encraochment and the gradual semidomestication of these animals. If it's 8 feet long and can take a good chunk out of your head iwth a single bite... common sense says to leave it alone.

SNowblind- year, the current population, last I checked was about a million, and like I said, hunter efforts don't yield many deer.

Back