"All Of Us Or None"

moving0target

What a great group:

http://www.allofusornone.org/

This collection of felons believes that any discrimination against a convicted felon should be illegal. Employers shouldn't be able to deny jobs to felons, landlords shouldn't be allowed to deny housing, etc. Essentially, anything employers, landlords and other do to protect themselves and their customers should be illegal. Let the thieves run the cash registers, let the pedophiles run the daycare, let the car jackers run the dealerships and we'll all live happily ever after, right?

This is a difficult one! One the one hand you have the recidivists who will commit crimes time after time. These are people you don't want to have in your shop. On the other hand you have people who did something wrong, were tried and served their penalty. The verdict wasn't 4 years in jail AND a life long social punishment! For these people I can understand where they are coming from.
we were met at the gate with prejudice and discrimination that made our re-entry into society difficult and in some cases impossible

If you have no other means of a honest job and get spat on by all others... That is a very important ingredient of making recidivists. Somehow many Americans talk about their responcibility and consequences of their actions. But when this is done, and people faced the consequences, you continu to punish them. Why is this so hard to see?

Employers and landlords should be allowed to make their decisions on a case by case basis. I had an employee who was a felon. He'd been busted selling marijuana, but that was the extent of the charges; no violence, no other substances, nothing. He was a great employee, and I was sorry to see him go when he moved on up in the world. What I resent most is the attitude that we, as law-abiding citizens, did something to get these poor, misunderstood folk thrown into jail, and, now that they're out, we owe them something. Bull. Prison is usually a consequence of a conviction. Nothing says it is the only consequence. Before you commit the crime, consider all the consequences.

moving0target said:
Employers and landlords should be allowed to make their decisions on a case by case basis. I had an employee who was a felon. He'd been busted selling marijuana, but that was the extent of the charges; no violence, no other substances, nothing. He was a great employee, and I was sorry to see him go when he moved on up in the world. What I resent most is the attitude that we, as law-abiding citizens, did something to get these poor, misunderstood folk thrown into jail, and, now that they're out, we owe them something. Bull. Prison is usually a consequence of a conviction. Nothing says it is the only consequence. Before you commit the crime, consider all the consequences.
I agree with you on this. Nobody owes these people anything.

moving0target said:
What a great group:

This collection of felons believes that any discrimination against a convicted felon should be illegal. Employers shouldn't be able to deny jobs to felons, landlords shouldn't be allowed to deny housing, etc. Essentially, anything employers, landlords and other do to protect themselves and their customers should be illegal. Let the thieves run the cash registers, let the pedophiles run the daycare, let the car jackers run the dealerships and we'll all live happily ever after, right?
Well the problem is if you're accused of a crime you didn't commit, you'll remain a felon FOREVER!

Yes, but there's a tiny, tiny percentage of that down in the states. The good suffer for the bad sometimes, but it also means I don't have to worry about the riffraff rotating my tires or cooking my food.

Hmmm..... criminals getting a break. No thanks.

If you do the crime, you gotta do the time. That includes time after prison.

I don't trust felons, PERIOD! Never have, never will.

moving0target said:
What a great group:

I agree totally.

I don't think I could add anything that wouldn't be redundant.

Yep...Exhausted already...I agree, the felons didn't want life long social outcast stance? Then the felon shouldnt have committed the crime. If the felon didn't committ the crime...then how could he have been even remotely connected to people who did...Its a case of choosing who you are seen with.

What a bunch of vindictive, black or white people some of you are! Why do you sent them the jail in the first place? What purpose has a jail punishment when you already decided to punish them for the rest of their lifes? I really think some of you are so bloody cold on this topic that it gives me the chills. And don't start by saying "I don't want a pedophyle to run a child day care" that is so easy to condemn all the others! Of course you can designate fellons to certain jobs and block them from other, but denying them the least bit of humanity for something they did for the rest of their lifes.... that is just plain heartless. But then again it does give you a nice group you can shoot with your precious guns when they tresspass or jaywalk maybe. They are already puked out by you, so what's the loss for this sub-human class of people!

Unfortunately, in this country, that is one of the things that results from being a convicted criminal. Nobody gives a crap about you, not do they trust you.

Ted said:
What a bunch of vindictive, black or white people some of you are! Why do you sent them the jail in the first place? What purpose has a jail punishment when you already decided to punish them for the rest of their lifes? I really think some of you are so bloody cold on this topic that it gives me the chills. And don't start by saying "I don't want a pedophyle to run a child day care" that is so easy to condemn all the others! Of course you can designate fellons to certain jobs and block them from other, but denying them the least bit of humanity for something they did for the rest of their lifes.... that is just plain heartless. But then again it does give you a nice group you can shoot with your precious guns when they tresspass or jaywalk maybe. They are already puked out by you, so what's the loss for this sub-human class of people!
Sure, what the loss for the sub-human person...Except the victim he committed the crime on.

What bothers me is that this group wants to get out of prison and have the world pretend they've never been in. It's absolutely ludicrous. If people have proven themselves capable of committing serious crimes, it stands to reason that they are more likely to recommit said crimes. The last thing we need are state and federal laws ordering law-abiding citizens to treat dangerous people as if they're model humans.

Back when smoking a joint could get you a prison term, I was on a jury pool to try a kid for getting caught with a small amount of mj. When the assistant DA asked me if I thought that I could send a person to prison for that particular crime, I told him "no." Asked why I wouldn't uphold the law as a juror, I told him that the punishment was worse than the crime.

At this point, the judge, a mean old West Texan, said "boy, c`mere". When I approached the bench along with the DA, the Judge told me to go get my five dollars and get out of the courthouse before I left on his boot. I did that with as much haste as possible, but I still could not send a kid to prison for 20 years for smoking a joint. If that is the kind of Felon everyone is talking about then let him who thinks so cast the first stone. As for a real felon such as murderer, armed robber, rape, pedophile, or any other miscreant that harms the public, they should be monitored the rest of their life.

20 years of jail for smoking a joint? Wow I am glad we have decriminalized weed in NY. I'd take ganja over legal sound suppressors any day.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it really is up to the employer whether or not to hire the convict/felon/whatever. Obviously some people are not fit for some jobs (pedophile in the day care) but otherwise they should have an oppurtunity to prove themselves. Just watch 'em real close. With a camera.

I'm pretty libertarian in most of my views. Drug use isn't, in my opinion, worth being on the books as a crime. Those who worry me, in light of the laws this group lobbies for, are the violent offenders, sexual offenders and thieves.

The government has little business sticking its nose in the workplace. It's heavy handed. When it handles things, they break. My whole point in this topic is that the government should leave well enough alone...which, in this particular instance it has. So far.

It seems that to a few here every con has done a hideous crime and killed an entire happy family. Some dum kid, getting caught for shop lifting does not need to be punished for the rest of his life!

And does the burger flipped by an ex-con taste less then one flipped by an unconvicted 17 year old? I bet you couldn't taste the difference.

Ted said:
It seems that to a few here every con has done a hideous crime and killed an entire happy family. Some dum kid, getting caught for shop lifting does not need to be punished for the rest of his life!

And does the burger flipped by an ex-con taste less then one flipped by an unconvicted 17 year old? I bet you couldn't taste the difference.
Psst. Shop lifting isn't a felony. Or, depending on the cargo shoplifted, a high class misdemeanor. Felony charges are reserved for the most servere crimes. Like killing a family, etc.

Back