All Quiet on the Western Front

Read it!

It doesn't "pick up" and turn into the Tom Clancy novel you expect, but it sure carry a punch when it comes to descibing the life of the average soldiers in the trenches.
The most remarkable reature of this book is that it's somehow timeless.
It could be any war or conflict anywhere on the globe, the main feature of this book is how the bonds between the group of soldiers is strengthened by the situation they are suffering under.

Someone once said that it was pretty ironic that the nazi's banned this book as pasifist propaganda, since it was one of the books that really inspired people to join the army in order to experience the commradeship between front-soldiers...

This book is to war-novels what the movie "Das Boot" was to later U-boat movies.

You have to read it, though it might not be the action-packed thriller you want. It should be on the (nonexistent) required reading list before joining the military, IMHO.

Should i read? I always get like 50 pages in and quit. just wondering if the book picks up. thanks:salute2:

It does pick up, the movie with Richard Thomas, Ernest Borgnine was the best version, rare, but usually available at Blockbuster. Read the book first though.

Its a great book! Must read, even if you are not joining the military. A classic military novel that keeps your attention, even though it isn't extremely action packed.

The best book of life in the trenches from a german perspective is Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger. This is an action packed book that you won't be able to put down! All Quiet on the Western Front was definitely an antiwar novel but a thoroughly engrossing book in my opinion. It epitomizes the loss of innocence felt on both sides of the lines from a german viewpoint. Highly recommemnded!

the movie with Richard Thomas, Ernest Borgnine was the best version, rare, but usually available at Blockbuster. Read the book first though.

the movie with Richard Thomas, Ernest Borgnine was the best version, rare, but usually available at Blockbuster. Read the book first though.

I think the original version from 1930 wasn't bad either... cheap effects but you forget them due to the impact of the story :thumb:

I like both so I guess that makes me a fence sitter!!
Slightly prefer the colour version, only because its colour.

A book called "Now it can be told" was published in the 20s, think it was the 1st one to describe the daily horror of the trenches.

Classic book. See the silent 1930 movie with Lew Aires (plus paths of Glory, The Grand Illusion, Dawn Patrol, 40,000 Horseman and Anzacs TV series). All for download!

Back