All or Nothing?

Legacy

I'm looking at joining the military once I am graduated from High School which will be in about 6 months. More specifically the Air Force but in all honesty if I can into one branch and not the other I'll take what I can get.

My question is about being medically eligible. I was diagnosed with Ewings Sarcoma in 2004, it went into remission in 2006 but came back in 2007. Currently it's still present but has been reduced there remains to be only 1 tumor thus far where at the beginning of 2007 there were 4. And remission once again is a lot more likely than they had spoke of at the start. I am currently no longer receiving chemotherapy or radiation therapy and am simply taking a drug regimen that rarely has any side effects at all.

Physically I believe I can handle it, I've been training with my HS football coach on days I don't work and have come along fairly well. Since starting the drug regimen I haven't missed a day of school nor work or even been that sick again.

I don't know what to expect, will any branch of the military even consider me? Or would I have a better chance if I wait for it to get into remission and then attempt to enlist?

Thank you for taking the time to help me.

Hard to tell. You may have trouble with a condition like this that exists prior to you enlisting. The issue is will you be able to be deployed? I would still look into enlisting and see if you can get cleared by a Military Doc. It is likely that they will need a waiver to let you enlist.

I wish you well and good luck. Thanks for considering enlisting.

Thank you for a prompt response! I imagine I would be deployable but really not all that sure. I guess I will go in and see if I can enlist and follow where it takes me. Since it seems like it's a situation where it isn't sure until I try for it.

It's better to go for it instead of wondering. Thank you.

I realize my question was answered and I do appreciate the answer but I had continued to do some research on the topic and now have another question.

In doing my search I discovered that the DoD Directive and Instructions for Medical Standards had been revised in 2005. Previously it stated for Medical Standards 6130.4/E1.26.2

"Malignant tumors (V10), exception for basal cell carcinoma, removed with no residual. In addition, the following cases should be qualified if on careful review they meet the following criteria: individuals who have a history of childhood cancer who have not received any surgical or medical cancer therapy for 5 years and are free of cancer; individuals with a history of Wilm's tumor and germ cell tumors of the testis treated surgically and/or with chemotherapy after a 2-year disease-free interval off all treatment; individuals with a history of Hodgkin's disease treated with radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy and disease free off treatment for 5 years; individuals with a history of large cell lymphoma after a 2-year disease-free interval off all therapy."

However, as of 2005 it now states:
"Current or history of malignant tumors (V10) is disqualifying. Skin cancer (other than malignant melanoma) removed with no residual, is not disqualifying."

So my question is, is that revised section now stating that even if I achieve remission and even if I waited 10 years I still wouldn't be able to join due to the fact that this cancer will always be in my medical history?

I think I realize the answer to the question but I just feel like I have to try and see if there is any way around it. My reasons for wanting to join are because I want to have that discipline in my life that the military can give, and to give back to a country that has stood up for me along with the fact all the males in my family have served.

I also understand that the military doesn't want to become responsible for any future medical bills relating to the cancer but is there anyway that I could opt out of that, guaranteeing that they wouldn't be?

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but I don't want to give up on this if there is the slightest chance I could be capable to join.

Thanks to anyone who replies, and to the previous reply as well.

One thing to remember is that you can get waivers for anything. It is just a matter of finding someone high enough to sign the waiver. I would reccomend compiling everything you have and set up an appointment with your congressman. They love to help out their constituents. If you get them working on your behalf, you might stand a better chance of getting the results you desire.

I just went through MEPS last week. The one piece of advice I would give is to be ABSOLUTELY HONEST about the condition. Even if you are told that you are disqualified to join the military, there are many other ways to serve your country honorably. You might even consider working for a military contractor.

Hope this helps! I wish you luck!

Back