All the King's Men

--

September 20th, 2006  
deerslayer

Topic: All the King's Men

Based on the life of Huey P. Long, famous L.A. governor (my physician wrote a very good book on his assassination). I'll see it next Wednesday for school, but I highly recommend it based on teh previews and the book by Sean Penn.
September 20th, 2006  
The Cooler King

Is it one of those political thrillers?
September 20th, 2006  
Fox

I have seen this commerical....I don't understand. Who is the man?
--
September 20th, 2006  
Sevens

It was a great book. Looks like a decent movie. I'll probably see it.
September 20th, 2006  
Team Infidel

The movie looks pretty good.
September 28th, 2006  
deerslayer

It's a fictional depiction of the life of famous LA Senator and Gov. Huey P. Long. My physician's father-in-law was his political rival. Long was assassinated, possibly accidentally by his own body guard, in the 30s. He was accosted by a Dr. Weiss, who was shot in the ensuing crossfire along with Long. Donald Pavy, my doctor (and damn good fisherman) ended up doing a lot of research, medical and otherwise, on the murder and holds the opinion that he was accidentally shot by his bodyguard. If you're interested at all in the event, I recommend his book "Accident and Deception: The Huey Long Assassination".

The movie was excellent, very well-done. I even liked James Horner's soundtrack, which is a rarity. Also saw the previews for "Flags of Our Fathers", based on the book of the same title, and have tentative plans to see it.