all charges have been dropped against two of the Haditha Marines

phoenix80

Banned
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070809/us_nm/usa_marine_haditha_dc

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A U.S. Marine general dropped all charges on Thursday against two Marines in the shooting deaths of 24 civilians in Haditha, scene of what Iraqi witnesses said was a massacre by American troops.

The dismissal of charges means neither Lance Cpl. Justin Sharratt nor Capt. Randy Stone will face a court-martial in connection with the events at Haditha, which have brought international condemnation of U.S. troops.

Five Marines still face charges in the November 19, 2005, shooting of two dozen unarmed men, women and children in Haditha, which prosecutors say came in retaliation for the death of a beloved comrade, Lance Cpl. Miguel Terrazas, who was cut in half by a roadside bomb.

Sharratt, 22, had been charged with three counts of premeditated murder and Stone, 35, with dereliction of duty for failing to properly report the civilian deaths. Defense attorneys conceded civilians were killed at Haditha but said they died during chaotic fighting with insurgents after the roadside blast.

In dismissing the charges against Sharratt and Stone after what he said was an exhaustive review, Lt. Gen. James Mattis cited the difficult battle conditions and a “shadowy enemy” whose forces hid among civilians.

“With the dismissal of these charges Lance Cpl. Sharratt may conclude that he did his best to live up to the standards, followed by U.S. fighting men throughout our many wars, in the face of life or death decisions made in a matter of seconds in combat,” Mattis said. “As he has always remained cloaked in the presumption of innocence, with this dismissal of charges, he remains in the eyes of the law — and in my eyes, innocent.”

Mattis said that while Stone may have made mistakes, they did not “rise to the level of criminal behavior.”

Yeah but I still wouldn't give this one a thumbs up.

DO you think we, here, know more than their commanders who must be under a lot of scrutiny? I doubt they just dropped these charges because they like them. I think they were dropped since there was no further evidence in that case to continue with the legal process.

Don't you think so?!

Yeah I'm glad they didn't get charged for what could have been an incident where civilians were caught in the crossfire but this sort of stuff is almost always used by the enemy to swing more 'undecided' or even at times those sympathetic to the allies over to their cause.
That's why it's not really a thumbs up.
Even that accidental running over of two Korean girls by a US Army vehicle caused an insanely huge uproar. Imagine what something like this would do.

Yeah I'm glad they didn't get charged for what could have been an incident where civilians were caught in the crossfire but this sort of stuff is almost always used by the enemy to swing more 'undecided' or even at times those sympathetic to the allies over to their cause.
That's why it's not really a thumbs up.
Even that accidental running over of two Korean girls by a US Army vehicle caused an insanely huge uproar. Imagine what something like this would do.

Sure!

I think we should give them the benefitt of the doubt thou

I don't think we've heard the last of this. The best thing that could happen is to remove this case from the limelight until all of the subsequent investigation is completed and all the evidence evaluated.

If an offence was committed, attempting to whitewash the matter will only blow up in our face at some time in the future. In the mean time the accused must be treated as innocent until proven guilty.

A lot of bad mouthing, and very few facts.

The United States does not rule the world. Carter did not want to intervene in Iran becasue the overthrow, until the embassy attack, had nothing to do with the US.

A lot of bad mouthing, and very few facts.

The United States does not rule the world. Carter did not want to intervene in Iran becasue the overthrow, until the embassy attack, had nothing to do with the US.

Dumping an ally was a noble act that could be done only by an evil man like ex-peanut farmer Carter

You Mean like the British, Canadians, French, Americans and several other Allies dumped Poland during WWII? They Signed pacts to protect the Poles and when Poland was invaded they bombed Frankfurt with leaflets written in English.

The Shah was of very little importance to the United States, similar to Poland's apparent unimportance to the Allied powers during WWII. The Germans Dumped the Romanians and invaded the Russians during WWII, both of whom were allies. Ally dumping happens. I notice we weren't rushing to defend Ethiopiain their fight with Somalia, even if we send relief funds there.

As for the peanut farmer?

The president you support couldn't find oil in Texas.

ex-peanut farmer Carter

you always bring up the farmer thing....and not what he was trained to do, command nuke submarines

fact is, he gave that up to take over the family business when his father died.

how you can hold that against him i have no idea

You Mean like the British, Canadians, French, Americans and several other Allies dumped Poland during WWII? They Signed pacts to protect the Poles and when Poland was invaded they bombed Frankfurt with leaflets written in English.

The Shah was of very little importance to the United States, similar to Poland's apparent unimportance to the Allied powers during WWII. The Germans Dumped the Romanians and invaded the Russians during WWII, both of whom were allies. Ally dumping happens. I notice we weren't rushing to defend Ethiopiain their fight with Somalia, even if we send relief funds there.

As for the peanut farmer?

The president you support couldn't find oil in Texas.

Poland had no strategic significance for the Allies and yet they made a mistake not defending it as they promised. Shameful.

Yeah... And look at the mess in the middle-east! It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure every thing out but if you can't, I can help you understand it either. You have lived 6000 miles away from that mess for your whole life. Mess for you is what you read in morning newspaper and thats all.

President Bush has done his job superbly and he has his weaknesses but he shows resolve and leadership unlike the Clintoons' or Peanut Farmer

Last edited:
you always bring up the farmer thing....and not what he was trained to do, command nuke submarines

fact is, he gave that up to take over the family business when his father died.

how you can hold that against him i have no idea

He is one of those people responsible for the rise of the Islamic militancy issue. He didn't show resolve and leadership where he had to!

Back