Alberta, Canada may have bigest oil find ever discovered

Mighty Mouse

Time for Canadians to cash in, eh?

Alberta is about to get wildly rich and powerful

What does that mean for Canada?

STEVE MAICH

At Suncor Energy's Millennium oil sands project, just north of Fort McMurray, Alta., the unmistakable odour of black gold drifts up from the ground and hangs thick in the air. Everywhere around you, water pooled in footprints, tire ruts and potholes carries the telltale rainbow sheen of oil. "The smell of economic progress," jokes Brad Bellows, a spokesman for Suncor, playing host on a damp spring afternoon. But it's much more than that. It's the smell of raw power -- the kind that comes from having plenty of what the rest of the world can't live without. It's the smell of a resource locked in the ground for millions of years and which now has the potential to shape the future of a nation, for better or for worse.

Suncor's extraction plant on the bank of the Athabasca River looks like a science fiction movie set -- hundreds of kilometres of steel pipe twisted into incomprehensible knots around hulking industrial buildings, storage tanks and smokestacks. The whole scene is bathed in a constant haze of steam and exhaust. Two other such plants are now operating within an hour's drive of here, and several more are scheduled to commence operations over the next few years, all to exploit what may be the biggest petroleum deposit anywhere in the world, a sea of oil-saturated soil covering an area the size of New Brunswick.

http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/business/article.jsp?content=20050613_107308_107308

I dont think this is too much of a big news: I knew AB had oil reserves already. Anyways those guys rock. A kind of "American Canada" surrounded by a huge "European Canada".

Italian Guy said:
I dont think this is too much of a big news: I knew AB had oil reserves already. Anyways those guys rock. A kind of "American Canada" surrounded by a huge "European Canada".

I don't understand :?

Renegade said:
Italian Guy said:

I don't understand :?

I'm sorry my bad. You know AB is Canada's conservative stronghold. They have a pretty strong movement which promotes the secession of the province into either independence or integration with the US. AB is the only province of Canada where you can find a majority of Bush supporters. They still do rodeos and are truely attached to the idea of an old North America. Albertans beleieve in less State, lower taxes, and private services. The rest of Canada, well you know about it. Some sort of France revisited. Thats why the rest of Canadians look down on those "rough" rednecks of AB. Note: AB is one of the richest, if not THE richest, province.

AB is like the only province without a provincial debt and have billions of surplus even after giving other provinces billions in a equlizatoin program.

AB people is a bit different from the rest of Canada, they are just so much more conservative and religious. You wouldn't tell much difference if you put a AB man in U.S.

Good news. Shows that keeping good relations with your neighbors can pay off. I wonder A) How long it will take them to become a major oil producer and B) If Canada will have a greater role politically in the world.

It seems as though with more resources (that can be converted into money) comes more power. Not only would they have the power to dictate to whom they will and will not trade, but they will also have money to invest in a military. Could this expand their power?

Most people have always considered Canada a small role player in the game of world domination, but I wonder exactly how small they now are?

I imagine that will depends on how much oil they can produce for world trade, and how many countries will depend on that trade.

Yes. Due to the proximity of Canada, their shipping costs should be much lower than other foreign oils. That would give Canada an advantage as far as producing for the U.S., and possibly even Europe. This would allow them to lower their prices (attracting more customers) and still make a hefty profit.

Something I just thought of; does anyone think that AB may become a target for terorism since they are 'interferring' with mideast oil suppliers?

Any country can be a target for terrorism to be honest. Having a role in world economics and politics just makes you a bigger, more public, target.

Canada will never be a big power unless its population is at least over 80 million.

and by the way, most of oil companies in Canada are controlled or paritly controled by americans.

Marinerhodes said:
Any country can be a target for terrorism to be honest. Having a role in world economics and politics just makes you a bigger, more public, target.

Exactly. I meant a larger, juicier, more tempting target.

WARmachine88 said:
Canada will never be a big power unless its population is at least over 80 million.

and by the way, most of oil companies in Canada are controlled or paritly controled by americans.

Korea, North — Population: 22,912,177

I think, based on amount of media and political attention, North Korea is having major effects on politics.

Spartacus said:
Marinerhodes said:

Exactly. I meant a larger, juicier, more tempting target.

WARmachine88 said:

Korea, North — Population: 22,912,177

I think, based on amount of media and political attention, North Korea is having major effects on politics.

a big power means great economic, policial, military influence in the every aspect of the whole world --- in simple terms, if any leader wants to make a decision, he has to think more or less about the big power's interest on this issue. I bet North Korea does not fit into that, Canada too.

One acronym for you. . . NATO.

If any counry is a part of NATO then they have to consider all aspects of anything they do on an international scale.

So we we dont have to consider the political impications in anything we do in Asia? It is currently a diplomatic minefield, and we are making sure not to hit nuclear mines. I think that is considering a power when making a decision.

do you consider Thailand when you invade Iraq?

but you have to consider Russia, France and CHina's interest when you go in there.

that is the difference.

Back