Akula-class nuclear submarine 'Severstal'

Prapor

I served here
IMG_5372_sm.jpg

IMG_5375_sm.jpg

That little orange dot near the bridge is a man, a sailor. That's how big this thing is.
IMG_5380_sm.jpg

Equipment is mostly not old, but ancient, from the 70s, Soviet times. Mind you, this boat was made when Brezhnev was still healthy and in power. lol Still works fine though, and even looks alright, because our submariners take very good care of their boats, their homes.
IMG_5391_sm.jpg

t1386.jpg
t601.jpg

IMG_5392_sm.jpg

t1383.jpg
IMG_5409_sm.jpg

IMG_5404_sm.jpg

And it has a sauna and small swimming pool aboard, which is great, if a little cramped
t596.jpg

t595.jpg

Lengh: 172,8 m
Width: 23,3 m
Draft: 11,5 m

Maximum depth: 400 m

Maximum speed: 13 nots surface; 26 nots submerged

Water displacement: 28500 t surface; 49800 t submerged

Armament: 20 RSM-52 ballistic missiles; 4 torpedo tubes 650 mm; 2 torpedo tubes 533 mm; 20 anti-ship missiles.

Crew: 160 men
http://www.milrus.com/vmf/941.shtml

Last edited:
Some more pics (not our Severstal, could not get any of her, borrowed some of the Pskov, which is same kind of boat, built in the same years, so everything looks similar):

Central bridge:
information_items_1243777281.jpg

Officers' lounge:
information_items_1197624587.jpg

Central bridge, course and depth console
information_items_1183227831.jpg

Onboard priest (every ship or boat in Russian Navy has one these days, so God can help us if Putin can't, I guess), in the torpedo room:
information_items_1181373014.jpg

Main power console
information_items_1180283107.jpg

Acoustics console:
information_items_1179917491.jpg

Kitchen:
information_items_1179917425.jpg

Russian Navy has much better food then Army. One reason more want to serve there :D

Nuclear reactor control room
information_items_1179917386.jpg

Near crew quarters:
information_items_1183227573.jpg

Man those things are built to last! It's really cool to see that with proper maintenance and dedication from crews that almost any warship can remain on the scene for decades, as that very instance can be seen as a national mindset, and if anything the type of dedicated individuals that come from there.

Really neat photos.

I know this sounds stupid asking, but how is it serving out of cold water ports? Submariners out of the U.S. would typically leave Norfolk or Kingsbay, and the weather there is horrid in the summer.

We're all living in russian nuclear submarine, russian nuclear submarine...
I feel sorry for these guys. Actually I feel sorry for all guys serving on nuclear submarines. Imagine: A month. Underwater. With over 100 men around you, and no ladies (in rare cases a few). I dont know how they can endure that.

Man those things are built to last! It's really cool to see that with proper maintenance and dedication from crews that almost any warship can remain on the scene for decades, as that very instance can be seen as a national mindset, and if anything the type of dedicated individuals that come from there.

Really neat photos.

I know this sounds stupid asking, but how is it serving out of cold water ports? Submariners out of the U.S. would typically leave Norfolk or Kingsbay, and the weather there is horrid in the summer.

In main North Fleet base, Severomorsk, near Murmansk, temperature goes from -25 degrees (C) to -30
img_0573.jpg

Pacific Fleet submarine base at Kamchatka is a bit warmer, -15 to, sometimes, -20 lol
671rtm_08.jpg

12698851.jpg

3497959.jpg

Sometimes they get lucky: -5 to -10 :D

We're all living in russian nuclear submarine, russian nuclear submarine...
I feel sorry for these guys. Actually I feel sorry for all guys serving on nuclear submarines. Imagine: A month. Underwater. With over 100 men around you, and no ladies (in rare cases a few). I dont know how they can endure that.

That. But, also it is very dangerous work. The Kursk in 2000 showed us how dangerous... I was starting on the Severstal then. My family all got so afraid, tried to talk me out of it. It shook everyone.

They made a memorial now, out of Kursk bridge, in Murmansk
%D0%9F%D0%B0%D0%BC%D1%8F%D1%82%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA_%D0%9C%D0%BE%D1%80%D1%8F%D0%BA%D0%B0%D0%BC_%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B3%D0%B8%D0%B1%D1%88%D0%B8%D0%BC_%D0%B2_%D0%BC%D0%B8%D1%80%D0%BD%D0%BE%D0%B5_%D0%B2%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BC%D1%8F.JPG

It says 'TO SUBMARINERS WHO DIED IN PEACETIME' and the golden plate lists the Kursk crew, by names.

fdf96e4f7b35d74a3bc8e57d8f78269a.jpg

Every August 12th hundreds of people come here to honor 118 men who died on the Kursk. Their families come, other submariners and sailors, Navy people come, and just regular citizens.

I did a history report on the Kursk tragedy, out of deep respect I send my condolences to those members of the Kursk who are still on Patrol... :(

I did a history report on the Kursk tragedy, out of deep respect I send my condolences to those members of the Kursk who are still on Patrol... :(

I don't believe any of them survived. But thank you both for condolences.

Anyway, that was a big outdry against Putin too. Many in the Navy to this day believe that the government did not react in time; that they should have reacted sooner, may have been able to save some of those men then.

Personally, I think Putin treats, and has been treating, the Armed Forces far better than Yeltsin did. Yeltsin cut off all funding to the Navy. When a warship or submarine needed repairs or maintenance, the crew had to collect money themselves! Literaly, back then in the 90s, you could see, at railway terminals, squares, public places, young sailors with big wooden boxes, on which was written "FOR WARSHIP ..." or "FOR MAINTENANCE ON SUBMARINE ..." asking people to donate as much as they could. And many did, thankfully, out of patriotism or out of pity for those 18 year old boys freezing in their light uniforms. Today, at least, Putin gives appropriate funding. Navy men do not have to do that anymore.

I don't believe any of them survived. But thank you both for condolences.

Anyway, that was a big outdry against Putin too. Many in the Navy to this day believe that the government did not react in time; that they should have reacted sooner, may have been able to save some of those men then.

Personally, I think Putin treats, and has been treating, the Armed Forces far better than Yeltsin did. Yeltsin cut off all funding to the Navy. When a warship or submarine needed repairs or maintenance, the crew had to collect money themselves! Literaly, back then in the 90s, you could see, at railway terminals, squares, public places, young sailors with big wooden boxes, on which was written "FOR WARSHIP ..." or "FOR MAINTENANCE ON SUBMARINE ..." asking people to donate as much as they could. And many did, thankfully, out of patriotism or out of pity for those 18 year old boys freezing in their light uniforms. Today, at least, Putin gives appropriate funding. Navy men do not have to do that anymore.

What I mean, is if you visit Kings Bay for instance like I have in the U.S., there is a small memorial for the U.S.S. Thresher and U.S.S. Scorpion I believe also a larger one at Patriot's Point S.C., two submarine disasters that were lost with all hands, but the U.S. Navy has placed the phrases on the memorial "for those still on patrol..."

Same with the crew members of the Kursk, they are just still on patrol...

Once again deep sympathies...I don't think I could live the life of the submariner, I guess it takes a special trait.

Very interesting photos
It brings back memories to an old sailor. I myself have done service on a Danish submarine - it was much smaller since it was a coastal submarine.

I also send my deepest sympathy to the crew's families
Мир праху твоему

Back