AK47 vs M16

also i think a ak is very comfortable and they have new versions like the ak-100's series
100's series is nothing more than ressurection of 7,62x39mm (while standard caliber of Russian small arms is 5,45x39mm) and export version for 5,56x45mm cartridge.
and the aek-971, that more accurate , the AN-94, which is no way connected to the AK is more advanced they any western rifle, it shoots a two round burst so fast that it hit in the same spot as the first shot with only one felt recoil and penentrates any body armor. Very expensive and complex, by russian standards, is in use by spentaz special forces.
All these are experimental versions and aren't used in the field. SpetsNaz still uses AKM and AK-74 where is no need for discreation, and silenced special weapons `Val`, `Vintorez` and `A-91` where silenced operations are needed.
7.62x51 NATO is far better than the x39
However, 7,62x51mm NATO has even larger recoil than 7,62x39mm and full auto or even burst fire from G-3 type rifle is considered to be uneffective.

For me it depends on what I am doing, where I am at, and my mood. I have never served in the military but I have fired a few variants of both weapons. I think that both are great and that they both do their specific jobs well but, where I live (Cambodia) I would like to own an AK47 but not the ones we have here because they are CVs. But if I were to live somewhere like a science lab, free of dust and other things that will jam a M16 then, I would like a M16.

The major problem that I have with the M16 is that it jams too much and is a ***** to clean. The AK47 just is not that accurate and frustrates me when I am trying to shoot anything farther than 125m.

I like the idea of the 6.8 round and would love to get my hands on the LWRC PSD. I think that this round has some potential but I am not sure about the gun yet but, it still would be fun to get my hands on it.

I heard some Russian FSB Police units [OMON maybe?] are getting AK-103's because the 7.62x39mm bullet is more suitable for police operations because of the higher stopping power than the AK-74's 5.45mm bullet.

M16= methodical, predictable, professional soldiers and spec ops
AK47= terrorists, untrained soldiers, guerillas, dangerous trigger-happy newbies
That's what I think

I heard some Russian FSB Police units [OMON maybe?] are getting AK-103's because the 7.62x39mm bullet is more suitable for police operations because of the higher stopping power than the AK-74's 5.45mm bullet.
OMONs are units Under Ministry of Interior, FSB has different subordination (it's not the same).

However I guess you are right, since under FSB there are units, similar to US Marshall service, and their standard issue weapons are 7,62x39mm... I'm not sure are those exactly AK-103, but I have seen pics depicting this unit with AKM and AKMS weapons.

Another advantage of 7,62x39mm cartridge is possibility to use it with PBS-1 silencer - the thing you can't do with 5,45x39mm (as far as I know, there aren't functional and in-service silencers for this cartridge).
Korean Seaboy said:
M16= methodical, predictable, professional soldiers and spec ops
AK47= terrorists, untrained soldiers, guerillas, dangerous trigger-happy newbies
I'm afraid as weapon AK-47 is more predictable and reliable ;)

Arm professional soldier with AK-47 - and he still be highly dangerous. Arm poorly trained fighter with M-16 - and he won't be threat after first jam of M-16 ;)

oh but these are fun! just kidding, but seriousely different weapons for different ideas, i personally prefer a ak, but hey i wont the gun to go boom when i pull the trigger

I will say that if you take care of the M-16, the probability of it failing is minimal. Granted what I was was a Sendra M-15A2, but it NEVER failed me not matter how dirty it got, no matter the mud dirt or sand. Only thing that screwed it up was when I bought ammo advertised as factory loads, but turned out to be hot loads. Busted the Firing Pin Retaining Bolt (IIRC). PITA to (at that time) find parts for.

OMONs are units Under Ministry of Interior, FSB has different subordination (it's not the same).

However I guess you are right, since under FSB there are units, similar to US Marshall service, and their standard issue weapons are 7,62x39mm... I'm not sure are those exactly AK-103, but I have seen pics depicting this unit with AKM and AKMS weapons.

Another advantage of 7,62x39mm cartridge is possibility to use it with PBS-1 silencer - the thing you can't do with 5,45x39mm (as far as I know, there aren't functional and in-service silencers for this cartridge).

God damnit, I always mix up the FSB and MVD and GRU [I think thats what its called, unless it is a part of MVD or FSB?]. Why cant we just have a KGB or NKVD haha.

I'm afraid as weapon AK-47 is more predictable and reliable ;)

Arm professional soldier with AK-47 - and he still be highly dangerous. Arm poorly trained fighter with M-16 - and he won't be threat after first jam of M-16 ;)

Yeah my grandpa was from East Germany and he told me that out of all the weapons he used when he was in the army and the weapons he used after it, he regarded the Ak-47 the best of them all, and that he would go through hell and back anyday with it haha :cowb:

Yeah my grandpa was from East Germany and he told me that out of all the weapons he used when he was in the army and the weapons he used after it, he regarded the Ak-47 the best of them all, and that he would go through hell and back anyday with it haha :cowb:
A soliders answer, all of us tend to go with a weapon we are comfortable with.

True, I guess the majority of American military guys would prefer things like the M16 and M4 more haha

I'm quite fond of my HK416. We have a plethora of weapons in our arms room from bullpups to SMGs to SWS'. I'm fond of some, less fond of others, but at the end of the day, I'm more comfortable with a particular design, ammo, etc. I think that's true for everyone. I can honestly say, I've never had a M4 fail on me either, nor a M16. But then, I take care of my weapons.

As for AKs, fun to shoot and keep around. Sure you can engage targets with them all day long, but they are a poor man's weapon and they are great for an undisciplined army. I certainly wouldn't take one when I need disciplined fire.

My quickly and simply written .02 cents.

I'm quite fond of my HK416. We have a plethora of weapons in our arms room from bullpups to SMGs to SWS'. I'm fond of some, less fond of others, but at the end of the day, I'm more comfortable with a particular design, ammo, etc. I think that's true for everyone. I can honestly say, I've never had a M4 fail on me either, nor a M16. But then, I take care of my weapons.

As for AKs, fun to shoot and keep around. Sure you can engage targets with them all day long, but they are a poor man's weapon and they are great for an undisciplined army. I certainly wouldn't take one when I need disciplined fire.

But some of us ain't so special as you.........:)

What a blanket statement. The Russians,Chinese,Polish, and Finns are undisciplined?

The AK-47 in that video was probably not sighted in properly. The shooter jerked the trigger a lot too. It would have been better if they had the same shooter.

Finnish Defence Forces uses slightly customized version of AK-47, main differences being the iron sights and higher quality barrel (I think, at least. o_O) Otherwise these weapons are almost identical.

RK-62 is just as accurate as it needs to be. Since our military budget isn't very big, all of our gear needs to be very cost efficient. RK-62 is easy to use, maintain and aimed single shots are accurate enough up to 300 meters.

But something tells me these posters criticizing AKs haven't even used one. It's a weapon just like any other, and extremely deadly if you have proper training.

Koreans prefer the K-1 and the K-2 guns. They're a legend around here. The new Daewoo gun is also generating interest too

Between Ak-47 and M-16, I would prefer the M-16 as I think it's more of a traditional weapon. Just my untrained, personal thought

Back