AK: regular magazine vs. drum

I have a drum mag for my AK-47 and my .22LR Sig Sauer 522. They both are fun at the range and work very well. The AK drum mag is a copy of the Chinese RPK drum mag which is very rugged and reliable. The one for the Sig is made of plastic and is simply a range toy.

Drum mags still serve a purpose. Mine serves as a nice travel piece. When I go place I take the AK with the drum mag and a couple of spare 40rd stick mags. With the drum in place I have 75rds on tap.

They aren't intended to be general issue mags. They're designed for squad automatic weapons. The USSR/PRC version of that was the RPK and it replaced the RPD which was a belt fed weapon. The Soviets went from a belt fed to a mag fed weapon for a reason. One reason was the ability to share magazines. The Russians designed their own drum mag and the Chinese did so also. Both work very well and serve their purpose.

I was speaking primarly about the use of a drum magazine in conjuction with a service rifle.

I figured that a drum or large can type magazine on a sqaud support weapon works well, why? The magazine is on a different weapon platform that fills a different purpose.

I can't really swing with you here, being as you are the one with the experiance, and the know how.

So I will defer to your better judgement. :thumb:

Besides I was not very clear on what I was talking about in that last post anyway.

Outperformed what and how?

OK, they outperformed the cyclic rate of a Moisin Nagant rifle, they had a slightly longer range than the 9mm. used in Suomi KP31, and they generally didn't jam up due to generous dimentions in the mechanism.

But personally I'd choose the Suomi KP31 over the PPSh anyway.

Might add that I have no experience what so ever with the Suom drum-magazine, only the "coffin-type" wich worked well for me.

For exactly the reasons you mentioned, rare jam,s, longer rage, more rapid fire I think.
And one more reason...Ammunition were easier to come by on long patrols behind the lines.

KJ sends.

I have a drum mag for my AK-47 and my .22LR Sig Sauer 522. They both are fun at the range and work very well. The AK drum mag is a copy of the Chinese RPK drum mag which is very rugged and reliable. The one for the Sig is made of plastic and is simply a range toy.

Drum mags still serve a purpose. Mine serves as a nice travel piece. When I go place I take the AK with the drum mag and a couple of spare 40rd stick mags. With the drum in place I have 75rds on tap.

Whereabouts do you go that you need that kind of firepower??

Hollywood :)

(seriously kidding)

If nothing else it would be fun to have one for some serious plinking, or at least as a conversation piece to complment your coasters on your coffee table to say the least.

Last edited:
Whereabouts do you go that you need that kind of firepower??

Have you seen the news about the riots in the UK? Those events are not rare in the USA. Miami, FL had theirs back in the 1980s. Saint Peterburgs, FL had theirs in the late 1990s. Etc....

I live in a very nice area that is surrounded by scum and villainy. I'm also a cop.... there have been some targeting of law enforcement off duty. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. If a riot breaks out my first act is to get the f#@k out of dodge. If not then try to get to the safest place, if thats not possible then I will defend myself.

Trigger discipline and professionalism.

Huh? If you have trigger discipline and professionalism coupled with accuracy the 75 round drum would be unimportant to start with.

Thought experiment?
If you use a 30 rd mag doubletapping plus a killshot you have taken down 10 threats.
Takes you less then a second to reload before taking down 10 more.

If you are alone against MORE then 20 targets you do not need a drum mag, you need fast ****in legs for running away.

KJ sends..

Last edited:
Huh? If you have trigger discipline and professionalism coupled with accuracy the 75 round drum would be unimportant to start with.

Thought experiment?
If you use a 30 rd mag doubletapping plus a killshot you have taken down 10 threats.
Takes you less then a second to reload before taking down 10 more.

If you are alone against MORE then 20 targets you do not need a drum mag, you need fast ****in legs for running away.

KJ sends..

Back on topic, which would you think is better?

Idk all logic aside, a drum maginzine apart from aparent weight (on an service rifle like the AKM/47) would be nice in the fact you naturally have more ammunition on tap, as mentioned in this very thread already.

But you never know, people who have a lot of experiance with a drum mag, may be comfortable with selecting targets and employing their availible ammunition like any other magazine type.

Yeah all logic aside..
I reckon the drum mag, could be employed with benefits if you are in a static position in a thirldworld nation where there is a possibility of LARGE crowds descending on your position.
(I wouldn´t want to be alone in that position anyway)
Other then that I personally do not see any other viable use for trading all that extra weight in your hands for many rounds unless it is being employed as squad GPMG.

KJ sends..

Yeah all logic aside..
I reckon the drum mag, could be employed with benefits if you are in a static position in a thirldworld nation where there is a possibility of LARGE crowds descending on your position.
(I wouldn´t want to be alone in that position anyway)
Other then that I personally do not see any other viable use for trading all that extra weight in your hands for many rounds unless it is being employed as squad GPMG.

KJ sends..

Well thats completly understandible, a Light Support Weapon with a large drum or can type magizine makes sense.

But the babble I keep making noise over is an personal use type of application.

The reason I am looking at it that way is to try to keep it in the best context for the thread author an his aquisition of one. (A drum magizine for his AK Service Rifle)

I couldn't tell you about battlefield application and am trying avoid changing thread topics to that.

In that case I would just defer to professionals here with drum mags and in the field experiance.

I know I have been vague on my responses but I am basiclly trying to mention the uses and what I would favor about a drum magizine in an personal use fashion.

Not a combat or high tense scenario regarding any combination of variables that could easily add a dozen or so more pages to this thread, and possibly set sail to the ilses of off topic.

With Kindness and respect I will keep replying if you keep posting,

Regards,

Yo

Last edited:
Have you seen the news about the riots in the UK? Those events are not rare in the USA. Miami, FL had theirs back in the 1980s. Saint Peterburgs, FL had theirs in the late 1990s. Etc....

I live in a very nice area that is surrounded by scum and villainy. I'm also a cop.... there have been some targeting of law enforcement off duty. I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. If a riot breaks out my first act is to get the f#@k out of dodge. If not then try to get to the safest place, if thats not possible then I will defend myself.

F*** all, RoboCop is back in town! :wink:
Is that type of weapon legal in Miami?

But the babble I keep making noise over is an personal use type of application.
If you are on squirrel hunting maybe - those little F***ers are damn fast.
Or get pissed and then shoot at empty beer cans
Otherwise, I would say like KJ; a GPMG is the only practical use.

Agreed

Thats what I was getting at, on a service rifle (like a Kalashnikov) it just doesn't seem practical outside personal applications.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about drum mags for AK-series of weapons but I can tell you this;

The Danish Army adopted the Diemaco LSW when they procurred the Canadian built C7's and C8's.

The idea was for the LSW to take over the role as GPMG from the ageing MG3. With the LSW, the Army decided to adopt the 100 round C-Mags.
From personel experience I can honestly say - they DO NOT work ! 2 bursts and you've got a misfeed, magazine off, clear the weapon, reload. 2 bursts new misfeed, magazine off, clear, reload. This is the kind of aggravation I for one DO NOT need when employing a light support weapon.

This was again only regarding C-Mags, but personally I'd prefer something belt-fed.
If that is not an option I'd still stick with 30-40 round magazines. Yes you do run out faster, but if you have drilled yourself properly the magazine changes shouldn't take you all that long.

Again this is only based on my own experience with C-Mags but if I have to decide in this situation I prefer changing magazines to clearing misfeeds.

KV.

F*** all, RoboCop is back in town! :wink:
Is that type of weapon legal in Miami?

Nah.... that's personal gear. For work I use a GLOCK 22, S&W Model 642, Remington 870, Colt AR-15A3 (Model 6721), and I have qualified with my personal FN P90.

The current rioting in the UK would not last long here in the USA. Especially in Miami. We've gone through that back in the 1980s. We don't want it again. Riot, burn down places, attack citizenry, etc... will end quickly. Baton Rounds, Chemical Agents, Dogs, Water Cannons, and a whole lot of armed citizens shooting criminals.

Coundn't imagine the home invasions gone wrong.

Where's Mr. Prapor? Like to hear his insight on how his drum mags are working with his AKM, kinda why I posted in this thread.

Nah.... that's personal gear. For work I use a GLOCK 22, S&W Model 642, Remington 870, Colt AR-15A3 (Model 6721), and I have qualified with my personal FN P90.

The current rioting in the UK would not last long here in the USA. Especially in Miami. We've gone through that back in the 1980s. We don't want it again. Riot, burn down places, attack citizenry, etc... will end quickly. Baton Rounds, Chemical Agents, Dogs, Water Cannons, and a whole lot of armed citizens shooting criminals.
Well British police officers are armed with sarcasm, a whistle and a baton. Not quite as scary.

Well British police officers are armed with sarcasm, a whistle and a baton. Not quite as scary.

Oh... we have sarcasm, whistles, and truncheons. We also have donuts, Whoppers, and Big Macs. If you seen some pics of me you'll find out that I've gained some weight over the years.

Back