Airsoft

Remington 1858

Okay, something new.
How many are familiar with airsoft. or as they were originally called, soft - air guns. These air airguns that shoot 5mm plastic BBs. They are powered by either CO2 cartridges, propane or electric motors. They are quite sophisticated and there is an airsoft counterpart to almost every real-steel firearm.
Why bother with them? In many countries firearms training is simply not permitted for any except police and military units. Even those groups are restricted in what they can do.
Airsoft provides the opportunity to do "Force-on - Force" training , real tactical battles in which no one gets seriously hurt.
Yeah, I know about Simunitions. I am ( or was) a certified Simunitions instructor and you can have my share. Too expensive, unreliable and dangerous compared to airsoft. Same with MILES gear; too expensive and complicated.
Do some internet research and find out of airsoft guns are legal and available where you live and you may open the door to training opportunities that you never knew existed.

Not a bad idea.

And there are clubs out there that offer realistic combat training with instructors who have military background and combat experience.

I myself am a member of a hardball club. I am often the evil terrorist who are to be hunted down by the the brave "Special Forces"
Most get a shock when they discover what one man, with a background as a professional soldier and operational experience from Afghanistan, is capable of.
There are many civilians who have come up to me afterwards and said. Being a soldier is really a trade which must be learned before you master it. We thought it would be easy.

For those who come to play, it is only a game, for me is a little more training.

Not a bad idea.

And there are clubs out there that offer realistic combat training with instructors who have military background and combat experience.

I myself am a member of a hardball club. I am often the evil terrorist who are to be hunted down by the the brave "Special Forces"
Most get a shock when they discover what one man, with a background as a professional soldier and operational experience from Afghanistan, is capable of.
There are many civilians who have come up to me afterwards and said. Being a soldier is really a trade which must be learned before you master it. We thought it would be easy.

For those who come to play, it is only a game, for me is a little more training.

It's so much easier playing with no rules isn't it!? I love playing the OPFOR because I get to try things out that would be out of the question as a professional. I've seriously laid waste to many "rotational training units" in my time in the Army playing as the OPFOR. It can also be scary sometimes too because I often wonder how the hell the real bad guys aren't doing what I'm doing...perhaps that's the difference...I (we) are training for this all the time...they...not so much.

While a little bit off topic, I love going paintballing. Like Brinktk and kesse have pointed out, for me it's nothing more than extra training. It's a little bit different from airsoft just in how it's played and such, but once you compensate it's not any different from shooting your standard M16 or what have you. When I go I usually take a pair of the older BDUs. A lot of people tend to think that they're fake or whatever, but as I tell them, 100% real.

Back