Airmen Get New Skills For War

PJ24

10 Apr. Los Angeles Times: Airmen Get New Skills For War

... For a service usually stationed so far from the front lines that it has earned the sobriquet "Chair Force," some of the scenes now unfolding at the Air Force's primary training base almost seem blasphemous.

New recruits are being trained to use rifles. They are being taught hand-to-hand combat skills. They are being prepped as battlefield medics. The new regimen is part of a complete revamp of basic training ordered by Air Force commanders in somewhat belated recognition that their airmen, once sent to large isolated bases with hundreds of thousands of troops between them and enemy forces, are now regularly in harm's way.

In Iraq, the Air Force has taken over supply convoys to ease the burden on the Army and Marine Corps, and specialized forces have been used in Army-like combat patrols, conducting raids and seizing suspected insurgents outside such facilities as Balad air base, north of Baghdad. Commanders estimate that about a third of all Air Force personnel have been deployed to the Middle East and Central Asia since Sept. 11, 2001...

I thought some of you, esp. one young guy in particular, would find this an interesting read.

All i can say is it is about time.

It should have been recognized long ago that IF an airbase was overran what would happen if the men and women were not trained to defend themselves.

downrange-01.jpg

I used to think just like this when I was overseas. But now I can rest a little better knowing that the US Air Force is actually training it's airmen for war.

(GO ARMY!)

Last edited:
5.56X45mm said:
I used to think just like this when I was ovcerseas. But now I can rest a little better knowing that the US Air Force is actually training it's airmen for war.

I'm in the Air Force and even I was nervous around Big Air Force airmen. A lot of these guys have been risking their lives outside of the wire for some time now as well, some with mediocre training (we and others would often use our downtime to help give these guys as well as some Army NG units a leg up, it was like starting from scratch) and little or no support.

There's been a big shift in big AF over the past couple of years to get back to its roots, and stop ignoring everyone that doesn't fly or directly support those that fly.

Now, we just have to hope the heavy collared fly boys don't screw it up.

Now this begs the questions just who are they training to go out and fight. It can't be the service mechanics are they will be required on the base. I would doubt if it would be the cooks or Medics as they would be required in the base. Now does the US Air force carry such a large staff of non urgent people that they can spare for this work, and if they have a capacity then why make them into an Infantry defence Battalion to do these duties on a regular basis

LeEnfield said:
Now this begs the questions just who are they training to go out and fight. It can't be the service mechanics are they will be required on the base. I would doubt if it would be the cooks or Medics as they would be required in the base. Now does the US Air force carry such a large staff of non urgent people that they can spare for this work, and if they have a capacity then why make them into an Infantry defence Battalion to do these duties on a regular basis

The enlisted AF is not just made of mechanics and cooks.

The largest careerfield the Air Force has is Security Forces (Military Police). Airfield defense is their mission, but they've also had to adapt and take on new missions. You also need transportation units, CE, EOD etc for certain ops outside of the AB/FOB.

The opportunity for these missions have always been there, it's just the AF that's been complacent in preparing for them.

This is a very good thing for our conventional AF as long as they continue to give it the attention it needs, and stick with it, even when units return CONUS.

PJ24 said:

The enlisted AF is not just made of mechanics and cooks.

The largest careerfield the Air Force has is Security Forces (Military Police). Airfield defense is their mission, but they've also had to adapt and take on new missions. You also need transportation units, CE, EOD etc for certain ops outside of the AB/FOB.

The opportunity for these missions have always been there, it's just the AF that's been complacent in preparing for them.

This is a very good thing for our conventional AF as long as they continue to give it the attention it needs, and stick with it, even when units return CONUS.

I agree, I do not feel nor believe that any military member should go without at least the rudimentary basics of what to do in case of a fire fight or assault on a base they are stationed at. Sure you have the MPs and security guards. But what happens if (worst case scenario) we go to war elsewhere in the world and an USAF Airbase gets a fullscale attack thrown against it? Artillery, Tanks, Aircraft, Infantry etc. The security details are only going to be able to handle so much before they get overran. Those boys and girls in blue are going to be easy meat for any half trained militia. Let alone any well trained army.

My uncle who died a few years back lobbied long and hard for two decades for this to become part of USAF basic training after he returned from Vietnam. He witnessed the assault on USAF bases there and was appalled at airmen's inability to defend themselves. He can rest in peace now.

Australia as well.
Airmen and women defend there workplace wether they are cooks, clerks or techo's.
The Airfield Defence Gaurds defend outside the wire to a depth of 3kms??? Then the army defend outside that.
We also go and play with the USAF and SFs at JRTC in the USA. Both in OK and AK. Been there and enjoyed training with the US counterparts.
Though we do things slightly different its good for both sides to see how the others operate.

I do not feel nor believe that any military member should go without at least the rudimentary basics of what to do in case of a fire fight or assault on a base they are stationed at.
Spoken like a Marine. I couldn't agree more. At minimum all military personnel should be trained riflemen first. SHTF scenario you say? Pilots are trained how to eject from an aircraft though they'll likely complete their careers without doing it.

When I was in the Air Force, we had ground-combat "Red Horse" and "Prime Rib" (heavy and light construction) teams; many were Ranger qualified who's job was the build a fully operaional airfield within 72 hours after landing and fighting to clear an area, WITHOUT Army support....bascially it was a Air Force version of Army and Marine combat engineers...also the Air Force in Vietnam had "Ranger" units from SP personal....They were trained from the Ranger school (full course) and equipped as US Army Rangers, for short-term reconn and interdiction....I know... I was one.

update: to answer an inquiry, No I was not in an Sp unit that was "Ranger" designtated in Vietnam, my error in typing out my thoughts.....I was on a Prime Rib team, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackwatch said:
When I was in the Air Force, we had ground-combat "Red Horse" and "Prime Rib" (heavy and light construction) teams; many were Ranger qualified who's job was the build a fully operaional airfield within 72 hours after landing and fighting to clear an area, WITHOUT Army support....bascially it was a Air Force version of Army and Marine combat engineers...also the Air Force in Vietnam had "Ranger" units from SP personal....They were trained from the Ranger school (full course) and equipped as US Army Rangers, for short-term reconn and interdiction....I know... I was one.

update: to answer an inquiry, No I was not in an Sp unit that was "Ranger" designtated in Vietnam, my error in typing out my thoughts.....I was on a Prime Rib team, however.

As a CCT (claimed in your profile) you were assigned to a Prime RIB team? Why?

And the RAF Regiment (Rock Apes) had a very strong reputation within the very narrow field of airfield defense.

Rock Apes... this sounds vaguely familiar. I am going to be searching now on ASK.com, *ahem*, to find out more, I have to know how they got the name.

Yo PJ, not to sound incestuous or anything but have you PM'd your neo-zoom ranger buddy to answer you yet or not??
;)

bulldogg said:
Yo PJ, not to sound incestuous or anything but have you PM'd your neo-zoom ranger buddy to answer you yet or not??
;)

I'm getting such a son/father vibe here.:lol:

I have no joy on my query at this time. :mrgreen:

bulldogg said:
Rock Apes... this sounds vaguely familiar. I am going to be searching now on ASK.com, *ahem*, to find out more, I have to know how they got the name.

;)

Narrow your search by including "Gibralter".

Back