Airliner Anti-Missile System

Should they spend on Airliner anti-missile Systems

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Exhorbantly expensive just to deter one of many hundreds of potential ways to attack our country.

Could someone explain to me this laser jamming thing? I'm not to up and up on shoulder fired missiles. Why couldn't you just toss in a crude flare/chaff setup on aircraft to deter shoulder fired missile attacks?

Way to expensive, and i believe our airlines are safe right now from any terrorist attack. Maybe we should find another inexpensive way to do this.

sorry

1) to fit it in a passenger air liner would cost way to much

2) Training pilots to know how to use it will cost a lot

3) what you going to do if a missle is coming towards you and you have no protection??

either way there are plenty of radars, land and sea that will pick up a missle, the aircraft's radar would pick up oncoming aircraft any ways, the radar should pick up a missle but either way like i aid before if it does, what they gonna do about it? nothing as they can't.

It travels way over 200mph, ain't no way your running from that bad boy if your not protected

It bothers me when people believe that every thing can be solved if we spend enough money. There is no feasible way to prevent every act of terror or the death that results from that act of terror. Take crime for example. We could put a cop on every corner in New York City to prevent it, but that would require so much money that it could never be done.

On another note, 40,000 Americans die each year in auto accidents while while lass than 4,000 have died in 9/11 and the military action that followed. Why don't we spend that $12 billion plus 2 billion a year (the cost of fitting every plane with a missile defense system) on car safety. We would save thousands more lives doing that than attempting to stop a missile from hitting a commercial air liner.

You have a better chance of dying in a car crash than in an act of terror

Open your eyes :shock:

IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE :?

let me think

aha you JINX'D yourself there!!!

It seems to me america is new to this terroisim threat I mean really didn't take notice til 9/11 did they!

USS Cole is another inccident.

Anyways Amercia will find a way to deal eventually and it won't be to spend millions on something that is not needed, wanted maybe but theyare two different things!

I am not arguing the fact that most of my fellow Americans are completely lost when it comes to their knowledge of terrorism. There are very few people in America that knew that Bin Laden had a bounty on Americans back in 96 (give or take). Call me cold hearted but I was not shocked when I watched the towers fall down on that fateful day. My friend from high school and I had predicted that the US was "in for it" back in 97. I thought that the attack would come in the form of a NBC (nuclear biological chemical) attack. I was off a little, but not surprised.

The fact is that Americans have learned to live with the thread of dying in a car accident. We Americans are going to have to learn to live with the threat of terrorism.

i know

Sorry if you thought I was arguing, as I wasn't.

Just saying what I see.

Other countries have spent decades of getting use to terroisim and protecting them from it.

America like a new country it is, it has to face what every other country has gone through. In a way that USA is lucky that its started now cus back in the 70's you would most prob. not been able to handle it as good as now.

You know the airplane tickets are high enough right now. I can't believe a ticked from Toronto, Canada to Hartford, Connecticut costs over $1000 american dollars!!! and its only a 45 minute ride!

You need to find another flyer EagleStrike, the aircraft companies are cutting eachothers throats trying to underbid their competitors. Shop around a bit and I'm sure you can bring that down.

If you have noticed, price of tickets to fly from New York all around to Shanghai will cost around 1000 American dollars if you are able to find an affordable travel agency.

You know the airplane tickets are high enough right now. I can't believe a ticked from Toronto, Canada to Hartford, Connecticut costs over $1000 american dollars!!! and its only a 45 minute ride!

It depends on the airline company. Some charge very low, some charge very high. And you meant Economy Class right?

Yeah economy class the lowest price was a little over 1000 US

Weird how to some places its really cheap even though the flight is really long but other places real expensive.

It looks like the US governmnet is still pushing ahead with the R&D of an airline missile deffence system. The costs still look to be anywhere from $6-10 billion dollars for equiping the entire US fleet with it.

Airliners may get missile defenses

By Gary Stoller, USA TODAY
The government will begin testing anti-missile equipment on three airliners next month, a first step toward what could be the most expensive security upgrade ever ordered for the nation's aviation system.

Both Northrop Grumman and BAE Systems will rig out-of-service planes with laser defense systems designed to misdirect shoulder-fired missiles, said John Kubricky, director of the Department of Homeland Security's systems engineering and development office. Test results will be sent to Congress early next year.

It could take years before passenger planes carry protection against missiles, a weapon terrorists might use to shoot down jets and cause economic havoc in the airline industry. The tests will help the nation's leaders decide if they should install laser systems on all 6,800 aircraft in the U.S. airline fleet at a cost of at least $6 billion.

"Yes, it will cost money, but it's the same cost as an aircraft entertainment system," Kubricky says.

The system fits inside a pod that bolts to the bottom of a jet and is equipped with sensors that can detect a shoulder-fired missile. A swiveling turret would then fire a laser beam that could confound the sensitive heat-seeking components of the missile.

Northrop and BAE Systems each have Department of Homeland Security contracts of about $45 million to develop the anti-missile systems for airliners. Both already sell anti-missile systems for military aircraft. BAE will begin testing its airliner system on an out-of-service American Airlines Boeing 767 in early September, according to BAE business manager Steve duMont.

President Bush's proposed budget for fiscal year 2006 includes $110 million to continue development of the systems, but no money to buy them, says Department of Homeland Security spokesman Donald Tighe. Each laser system costs about $1 million.

Billie Vincent, former head of security for the Federal Aviation Administration, said the government should spend whatever it takes to get effective defense systems in place. He cited a long history of shoulder-fired missiles being used against airliners.

Though no plane in the U.S. has ever been attacked, about 35 airliners and other non-military planes have been attacked elsewhere by shoulder-fired missiles since the late 1970s, according to an October 2004 report by the Congressional Research Service. The attacks shot down 24 aircraft and killed 500 people.

A RAND Corp. study this year recommended postponing installation of anti-missile systems. The study assumed, however, that it would cost $11 billion — not the $6 billion Northrop now cites — to equip all U.S. aircraft with anti-missile technology.

Another study this year by the Cato Institute, a Washington think tank, says the government should divert more money to anti-missile systems on airliners. The study says a successful shoulder-fired missile attack could deter the public from flying, create huge airline losses and devastate the economy.

USATODAY

Back