Aircrafts Quiz

Yep. An Iranian Bank saved the tomcat project from dying by giving a huge loan to the Grumman in mid 70s

The Navy agreed to provide Grumman with a $200 million loan to keep the company going until the re-negotiated prices became effective.
This loan agreement stirred up controversy in the press, with Grumman being accused (somewhat unjustly) of turning around and investing the Navy loan it had just received in short-term government securities for a quick profit. In August of 1974, Congress voted to terminate the Grumman loan as a result of the controversy. However, by this time Grumman had a new customer for the Tomcat, the Shah of Iran. The Iranian state Bank Melli provided a $75 million loan to Grumman, and armed with this backing Grumman approached a consortium of US banks and was able to get a loan for the remaining $125 million, ensuring that the Tomcat program could continue.

Where did F-16 Falcon's plant factor, you know? Like making the F-16 Falcon.

Yeah, but back in the day, General Dynamics actually came up with the initial design and production, way before GD and Martin Marietta merged and then merged with Lockheed (I think that's the order of how it happened). I know they've got a plant in Rochester, NY (one of my cousins worked for them for a bit up there), but I'm not sure where else.

Here's an easy one: what were the callsigns of the two US Navy F-14's that shot down the two Libyan Su-22's in August 1981? Also, what squadron, air wing and carrier were they from? (More trivia: my Navy ROTC commander was XO of the F-14 squadron at the time -- he went to be the skipper of the squadron -- and his name was painted on one of the planes.)

TomTom, you got it. It is your turn. I have been to Lockheed Martin Co. in Fort Worth, Texas. Where a place to built and design F-35 and F-22.

I'll go with AJ's four part question.

AJChenMPH said:
Here's an easy one: what were the callsigns of the two US Navy F-14's that shot down the two Libyan Su-22's in August 1981? Also, what squadron, air wing and carrier were they from? (More trivia: my Navy ROTC commander was XO of the F-14 squadron at the time -- he went to be the skipper of the squadron -- and his name was painted on one of the planes.)

phoenix80 said:
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/interviews/snodgrass/migshootdown.wav

It is the Gulf of Sidra incident being recorded on the tape
Thanks. Two observations:

1. That's not the Gulf of Sidra incident that I was thinking of. That tape is from the shootdown of two MiG-23's by two F-14's from VF-32 aboard USS John F. Kennedy in 1989. Transcript and story here.

2. Man, a lot happens in six minutes!

I'm lookin' for the info from the Aug. 1981 incident. (And talk about timing -- my old CO used to say that the fight happened five minutes too early, he was on his way in to relieve the guys that actually did the shooting...)

MightyMacbeth said:
wasnt it the maces squadron?
Nope. :) You're close with "maces", though.

Back