Aircrafts Quiz

What long range bomber failed its radar cross section, range, altitude, and other tests, but was still put into production in the 80s at a cost of 270 million per copy?

You are correct! Sorry about the delay. And what two modern multirole aircraft were nearly killed in development because lightweight fighters were not liked by the brass?

Who designed these two, by the way:)

Nope, keep guessing, gentlemen. You aren't even close. By who, I mean a single person.

Hint- energy and maneuverability.

I'm thinking the YF-16 and YF-17, which lead (respectively) to the F-16 and the F-18. At the time, USAF brass kept thinking "bigger and faster are better" (i.e., speed and payload) and weren't thinking maneuverability and agility.

I can't figure out who the designer is, though... :???:

You got it. Designer is John Boyd and the "Fighter Mafia" which kept pushing for the lightweight fighter design.

Fighter mafia- XXXX Riccioni, Pierre Sprey, John Boyd, Chuck Spinney, 3 others that escape my mind.

Oh yeah, and they tried so hard to take out Boyd over the years.

When he got BSed by a contractor, he wouldn't say he'd found the smoking gun. He'd stick his head out into the hall and scream, "I HAVE FOUND THE DRIPPING C***!"

Which MBT produced in the 60's was initially banned from the NATO Canadian Army Trophy competion due to it being the first to have a modern fire control system?

poacher63 said:
Which MBT produced in the 60's was initially banned from the NATO Canadian Army Trophy competion due to it being the first to have a modern fire control system?
Didn't know MBTs could fly.

deerslayer said:
You got it. Designer is John Boyd and the "Fighter Mafia" which kept pushing for the lightweight fighter design.
When you said designer, I thought you meant the engineer who literally designed the YF-16 and the YF-17. Col. Boyd was the PILOT who pushed for lightweight fighter concept, but I don't think he was involved in actually designing the planes.

poacher63 said:
I think you're in the wrong thread. ;)

AJChenMPH said:
When you said designer, I thought you meant the engineer who literally designed the YF-16 and the YF-17. Col. Boyd was the PILOT who pushed for lightweight fighter concept, but I don't think he was involved in actually designing the planes.

I think you're in the wrong thread. ;)

No, Boyd was the chief designer on the lightweight fighter.

while not chief designer, he hammered out the iterations and equations and ultimately the suggested design for best performance. It kinda mutated downhill from perfection,though.

Here's a relatively easy one: which two American fighters (one Air Force, one Navy) shared the Pratt and Whitney TF30-414A engine when they were conceived in the late 1960's? Also, what was the irony of this with the Air Force jet?

the two fighters were the F-14 tomcat, and the general dynamics f-111 ardvark...

the irony of the air force air craft (ardvark) was that it was originally designed for the navy...but proved too heavy to operate on a slam an go basis. :rolleyes:

Give the man a cyber-cigar! (Gotta be cognizant of the effects of second-hand smoke, given the recent report my uber-Boss put out earlier this week. ;) ).

Tee it up, TSgt.

Back