Aircrafts Quiz

Not the complete answer

MightyMacbeth said:
close with maces eh..hmm is the poster above correct?? heh :)

No, he didn't answer all four parts of the question. Here's the original question:

Here's an easy one: what were the callsigns of the two US Navy F-14's that shot down the two Libyan Su-22's in August 1981? Also, what squadron, air wing and carrier were they from? (More trivia: my Navy ROTC commander was XO of the F-14 squadron at the time -- he went to be the skipper of the squadron -- and his name was painted on one of the planes.)

:?:

Last edited:
He got one out of the four -- the squadron was VF-41 (now known as VFA-41, as they've transitioned to the F/A-18F), the Black Aces.

Anyone else on the other three questions?
- What were their callsigns?
- What air wing were they from?
- Which carrier were they from?

Read, dude. :p

AJChenMPH said:
He got one out of the four -- the squadron was VF-41 (now known as VFA-41, as they've transitioned to the F/A-18F), the Black Aces.

And since someone else already answered the USS Nimitz, that leaves:

AJChenMPH said:
- What were their callsigns?
- What air wing were they from?

They were assigned to Carrier Air Wing 8 at the time, right? That should leave just the callsigns to wrap this question up.

Sweet. 2 for me! Ok, somebody needs to get that last part of the question. I'm running out of information sources here.

Hmmmm...let me see if I can give a hint without giving away the answer completely. Okay -- I mentioned earlier that my former CO complained the fight happened five minutes too early, as he was on his way in to relieve the two planes that actually did the shooting.

He was XO of VF-41 at the time, and his name was painted on one of the aircraft that did the shooting. Given that the F-14 squadrons assigned to CVW-8 were VF-41 and VF-84 at the time, VF-41 squadrons had the 100-series assigned to them and VF-84 had the 200-series assigned to them (I may be wrong on this part, but I think the lower-numbered squadron gets the lower series assigned to them). If you know how Navy aircraft are numbered on an aircraft carrier, that will give you an idea of what the number was on one of the planes.

IAmFighter said:
Spade 101 and 102?
Oooo, not a bad guess. Spade is not the correct callsign, but 102 was one of the two aircraft. The callsign has nothing to do with the squadron's name -- for example, when Randy Cunningham was flying with VF-96 "Fighting Falcons", the squadron's radio callsign was "Showtime".

Last edited:
Sorry, was away for a family funeral.

Okay, another hint -- actually, forget the hint. Just Google "Gulf of Sidra Incident" and see what you come up with. ;)

On the morning of the 19th, two VF-41 Black Aces F-14As, Fast Eagle 102 (CDR "Hank" Kleeman/LT D. Venlet) and Fast Eagle 107 (LT "Music" Muczynski/LTJG "Amos" Anderson), were flying combat air patrol to cover aircraft engaged in a missile exercise. An E-2A Hawkeye gained radar contact with two Fitters which had left Okba Ben Nafi Air Base near Tripoli. The Fitters were heading towards the Tomcats and the lead Fitter fired an AA-2 Atoll short range heat seeking missile at the Tomcats. The Tomcats evaded and were cleared to return fire.
Muczynski engaged the lead Fitter and shot it down with an AIM-9 Sidewinder missile. Kleeman engaged the wingman and shot it down with another Sidewinder. The official United States Navy report states that both Libyan pilots ejected and were safely recovered.
The international tensions and dogfighting incidents seen in the movie Top Gun (1985) were drawn in part from this incident.

Last edited:
Yep, congrats. :) Sadly, my NROTC CO told me that CDR Kleeman subsequently bought it while trying to land an F/A-18 (I think it was at an airfield, not aboard a carrier). :salute2:

Next question: what was the original project name that Lockheed's Skunk Works assigned to the F-117A Stealth Fighter?

Back