Aircraft Gun Cam Questions

sheer_velocity

This probably has an obvious answer but I have never had it clarified. I understand the gun cam is mounted above the weapons on the aircraft and that it is activated once the trigger is squeezed for later examination of the target/recon, but is the video every being watched live by anyone (ie a heli gun cam), or even somehow by the pilot? I understand how that would impossible in a jet...
Anyone can someone give me some info on this/gun cams in general because from what I've seen there is limited info on the net.. thanks

Hey Sheer,

From the information that I know of, Helicopters do have the capability to watch the round from in cockpit. I can't be 100% sure of that because like you said, sources are limited.
Most of the information that I can gather just shows "after-the-fact" footage.
The pilot will mostly see through the "gun cam" in a helicopter, which is usually their targeting eye piece. Some of those can zoom very far so they have a clear idea of what is going on.
Military weaponry uses cameras with laser guided ammunition, mostly infrared from what I know, so it can follow the beam projected from the aircraft. This may be most of the footage you see, is from that camera.

I will try to do more digging for you when I get a chance, but I'm giving what I know.

Back