Aircraft Carrier is obsolete as a modern Weapon - Page 16

--

March 13th, 2012  
Jonny Reb

Do you actually need Flat Tops to launch and retrieve attack aircraft - see Jonny Reb's Electromagnetic Rail over the ship's side together the Catcher's Mitt, if I ever get round to posting it!
March 14th, 2012  
Jonny Reb

Gee wiz no-one's gonna ask me about the catcher's mitt. Ain't there any engineers out there - and I don't mean those who read military manufactures' news and believe what they state. They still want to flog equipment that was outdated in the 50s!
February 11th, 2014  
franzhairilvonhipper

The only way to know the effectiveness of an aircraft carrier is to actually engage them in real combat. Fire more than a dozen anti ship missiles and see how a CV Battle Group reacts! Anybody dare????
--
March 2nd, 2014  
Remington 1858

It has been said many times since the end ofWWII that the aircraft carrier's day is past. In the late 1940s and early 50s this view was advanced by the U.S. Air Force in particular in order to win the funding battle in Congress.
Then along came the Korean War and the nearest U.S, bases at the beginning of the war were in Japan. All the effective air support that U.S. ground forces received for a long time was furnished by carriers.
In the Falklands conflict, the British could not have prevailed without Harriers operated from ships.
Whether the air support needs to be furnished by huge nuclear powered behemoths with 5000 crewman is another story. UAV ( drone) technology is advancing at a tremendous rate, and we see small ships operated fleets of armed drones replacing the CVN carrier in the future.
April 10th, 2014  
JOC

It just seems that the idea of mobile landing strips for our fastest - best fighters is a good idea. The fact being we can't maintain air bases everywhere in the globe, such as the former base at Subic Bay in the Philippines. Unlike in WW2 they are very well protected by a small armada and would be positioned hundreds of miles from any likely treat.
May 12th, 2014  
skoro

Topic: Aircraft Carrier is obsolete as a modern Weapon info

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_420
Am on wrong on this?
Yes you are.
May 22nd, 2014  
MAD

Yeah, the Aircraft Carrier is obsolete , The next war is "star war".
You must research and build many space battleship.

I design a huge space battleship weigh 10 millions tons, can carry two planetary landing ships, Each landing ships can loaded 500000 tons goods or tanks ,vechices and 1000 "star marines' .
and the space battlship can load 1500 warplanes and 5000 neclear warhead.

June 5th, 2014  
JOC

What does this have to do with one of the USA key and most important type of ship? Kind of silly isn't it
June 30th, 2014  
Remington 1858

I think we can put this thread to bed for a while because the aircraft carrier has just shown what it can do in the resurgence in Iraq. With the ISIS group advancing against Iraqi Army units, the need for heavy air support is evident. The Iraqi Air Force has really no combat aircraft and the U.S. lacks bases close by.
The U.S. George H.W. Bush was dispatched to the Gulf to provide air support to the Iraqis, if needed. A ship of this class puts a very large number of very capable aircraft within striking distance. It comes with complete fuel, munitions, maintenance and living facilities and it can stay on station until relieved by another carrier, supplied in place by replenishment ships. That is why the U.S. builds and pays for super carriers.
July 23rd, 2014  
Yossarian

Like the battleship before it remained relevant until sufficient numbers of said warships were proven so by sending enough of them to the bottom via Airpower.

In hindsight we know that times had changed by the time of the 2nd WW. However it took practical experience at the time for commanders to realize this.

I see the carrier being no different. The carrier is a fearsome weapon, so I would hate to see the weapon that would be the one to make them irrelevant.

If budget cuts and downsizing doesn't do it first.