Air Force Maintenance

dannymalone

Hey guys, I am about to go to MEPs in about a month. I talked to my recruiter about my job choices but I want to talk to someone who has knowledge or experience in these particular jobs.

I have a son in the Air Force. He is a weapons technician. According to him and to friends who have served in the USAF, the way you are treated differs with your proximity to the aircraft. This seems to make sense.
The job of the AF is to deliver force using flying platforms, so the closer you are to the airplane ( or UAV or missile) is going to determine your status.
Other occupations: admin staff, security, etc are lower in the pecking order.
I visited my son at his base years ago and saw his quarters. Private room, king size bed, internet, fridge, microwave, bath down the hall. Dining hall and fitness center directly across the street. And he was just out of Basic Military Training. He had better quarters than I had had in the U.S. Army and I was an officer.
Today, he is a senior NCO who is required to live off base with a generous housing allowance, good pay and benefits and he is now within sight of retirement and will leave with his college degree paid for by the Air Force.
I think you have chosen an excellent career field. It's not going to be a bed of roses. My son has told me about working on the flight line in Arizona in staggering heat and in the cold of Korea, but it obviously has it's compensations.

I'm prepared to do what ever it takes to create a stable foundation to build upon. Thank you for your response Rem!

The most important thing that I hope that you get out of your Air Force service is the educational benefits. The Air Force is HUGE on advanced education. It's free! Not only that, but the educational benefits are transferable to your family members in case you don't want to us them.
When my son was in Basic Military Training at Lackland AFB, I met his squadron Sergeant Major. The man has two masters degrees!
The AF will bend over backwards to facilitate your education; adjust your work schedule, even have you attend class as regular duty.

Back