Air Force B-52 carries armed Nucs by mistake ...

P80 you're not getting our message.
There is a strict procedure when it comes to moving nuclear weapons and this has been violated but not only that, the authorities DON'T KNOW how this happened. If this was by design and it was a new way of doing things, this should not be an incident but this was an accident where nukes were accidentally moved from one place to another and didn't follow procedure any step of the way.
That is the incident P80.
Mistakes like this can lead to a stolen nuke scenario and believe me, there's a lot of bad guys out there who want their hands on a nuke.
As for nuclear weapon armed B52s flying around the clock during the Cold War, these missions were sanctioned by the President of the United States. Therefore this would not be an incident. These were military operations under full control. Even then some accidents did happen. However, I think although the individual accidents would be a significant incident, the operation itself should not be controversial since it was a part of America's grand strategy against the Soviet Union.

The thing is that I do trust the AF when they said public wasn't in danger and some dont trust the Air Force. So it is the difference!

Phoenix, you know once I was nearly court martialled for putting a rifle in the wrong place? Actually it just wasn't according to the rules. I had a rifle I was working on to repair but I didn't have time to complete the task. So I decided to stash it in the weapons shed (which I controlled). It was of course locked up but while I was away the Operations Officer decided (for some reason) to inspect all our storage rooms so a senior NCO opened it up for him and they discovered a rifle in there.
One Staff Sergeant which I shared mutual great hatred with pushed to try to get my ass in the brig but the Major decided against making an incident (not that he was generous, more that if the battalion had fewer incidents, it makes him and the BN CO look good).
Anyways there was quite some fuss about this.
But you know the nuke thing? Way worse... way way way way way worse.

I know in this case, the public was not in direct danger of having a B-52 fly over the country with nukes on its hard points.
However, the fact that they lost track of (or whatever the heck happened!) 6 nukes in itself IS a threat to the public. What if they were stolen? I personally cannot think of a bigger threat to the public than that. Nuclear weapons should not be allowed to be lost track of PERIOD. Hell, not even a clip of 5.56mm rounds should go missing.

If the Air Force says something with merit, I believe it. If they talk b***s****, I'm going to call that as well.

Last edited:
I do feel the same about you dude!

you are incredibly disrespectful to many on this board, even though your lack of knowledge is glaringly obvious, you still wont back down....or even just shut up and butt out altogether

Phoenix, you know once I was nearly court martialled for putting a rifle in the wrong place? Actually it just wasn't according to the rules. I had a rifle I was working on to repair but I didn't have time to complete the task. So I decided to stash it in the weapons shed (which I controlled). It was of course locked up but while I was away the Operations Officer decided (for some reason) to inspect all our storage rooms so a senior NCO opened it up for him and they discovered a rifle in there.
One Staff Sergeant which I shared mutual great hatred with pushed to try to get my ass in the brig but the Major decided against making an incident (not that he was generous, more that if the battalion had fewer incidents, it makes him and the BN CO look good).
Anyways there was quite some fuss about this.
But you know the nuke thing? Way worse... way way way way way worse.

I know in this case, the public was not in direct danger of having a B-52 fly over the country with nukes on its hard points.
However, the fact that they lost track of (or whatever the heck happened!) 6 nukes in itself IS a threat to the public. What if they were stolen? I personally cannot think of a bigger threat to the public than that. Nuclear weapons should not be allowed to be lost track of PERIOD. Hell, not even a clip of 5.56mm rounds should go missing.

If the Air Force says something with merit, I believe it. If they talk b***s****, I'm going to call that as well.

remember redneck, you're trying to reason with some lickspittle right wing keyboard warrior whose sole military experience was fetching coffee at an iranian supply HQ

Last edited:
Whatever u say, dude! I normally dont have time to argue with people like you...

-----
Back to the topic, this mistake is now a thing from the past and I wonder what safeguards are in place to prevent that from happening again

Well... looks like you realize you're wrong but don't have the character to admit it.
Hey, Phoenix, nothing was wrong. No one was in danger. Who cares if it happens again?

Well... looks like you realize you're wrong but don't have the character to admit it.
Hey, Phoenix, nothing was wrong. No one was in danger. Who cares if it happens again?

No, I wasn't wrong and this is not something I should be ashamed of or be sorry about. My view is that it was a simple mistake and is now taken care of. Case Closed for me, I dont go on an anti-US military campaign over this thing like others and I respect the USAF officials' decision. I mean really, none of us here were impacted by this mistake and I'm done with this. Can't let u drag me to another useless ant military argument here. Have a good day!

Last edited:
no one

NO ONE

has brought up any anti-military statements here....your the only one mentioning it, and it fly in the face of info that people on this board (who HAVE handled nuclear weapons) have told you

2 part head in the sand + 3 parts stubborn

Anti military?? That's some kind of joke isn't it Phoenix80??

The only thing that I have seen in this thread that could possibly drag the military into disrepute is the public expression of careless attitudes towards handling, safety and accountability of nuclear weapons.

Yes,... there is nothing that can be done now that will reverse what has happened, but by noting this grievous lapse of security it may be able to be prevented sometime in the future.

You can't do any thing about it by typing bravo sierra anti-military stuff onto a forum... get over it and get on with your lives!

You can't do any thing about it by typing bravo sierra anti-military stuff onto a forum... get over it and get on with your lives!

once again worth pointing out that your sum total military experience was compulsory service at a logistics HQ.......if i need help understanding the safty requirements for handling paper, operating a photocopier, or fetching beverages for the officers, i'll ask you.

but, since we are talking about handling procedures for nuclear weapons....im going to have to go with the opinions who have handled them in the past, or at a minimum, have served in a military that carries them in their inventory.

follow the advice given to you an shut mouth

Phoenix80, please tell the members of this forum what information in this thread is is "bravo sierra", other than that proffered by yourself.

No one denies you your right to have your opinion, but I personally would like to know where you get the authority to cast aspersions on others, some of whom actually have some practical knowledge on this matter, by totally ignoring their input in favour of your own rather twisted views.

Your attempts at making the US armed forces look irresponsible are not greatly appreciated by myself, and I'm sure many others on this forum.

Last edited:
Phoenix80, please tell the members of this forum what information in this thread is is "bravo sierra", other than that proffered by yourself.

No one denies you your right to have your opinion, but I personally would like to know where you get the authority to cast aspersions on others, some of whom actually have some practical knowledge on this matter, by totally ignoring their input in favour of your own rather twisted views.

Your attempts at making the US armed forces look irresponsible are not greatly appreciated by myself, and I'm sure many others on this forum.

I talk about what I sense and all I saw here is some kind of smear campaign against the USAF by bunch of "Leftie-Typists" on an internet forum shouting at each other for someone else's mistake.

Get on with your life and dont panic. This thing is of past and we, collectively, can't do a :cen: thing about it. Like it matters what some say here about how they should handle their nukes. Do they care or do you think OUR opinion matter to them? Hell No!

So dont waste your time and dont make a ..... of yourself (fill the blank as u see fit)

Last edited:
C'mon guys ... even coffee fetchers have a right to their opinions (even when they have absolutely no idea what the heck they are talking about). Take P80's comments with the value it deserves ... absolutely zero.

The rest of us know how serious this incident was at every conceivable level ... let P80 live in his fairyland where everybody wears rose colored glasses where a FUBAR of this magnitude is viewed as a minor mistake - he will be the very first person who will play the blame game when a nuclear accident kills thousands ... so allow him his fairydreams.

We are talking about the world's best army, world's best air force, and how can this happen ? It can not be a mistake because if you are best in the world you can not make such a stupid mistake. So there must be something unknown behind this.

C'mon guys ... even coffee fetchers have a right to their opinions (even when they have absolutely no idea what the heck they are talking about). Take P80's comments with the value it deserves ... absolutely zero.

The rest of us know how serious this incident was at every conceivable level ... let P80 live in his fairyland where everybody wears rose colored glasses where a FUBAR of this magnitude is viewed as a minor mistake - he will be the very first person who will play the blame game when a nuclear accident kills thousands ... so allow him his fairydreams.

Yeah, you're torturing us to believe your own version of bravo sierra and no body is actually buying it except a few people from your own league and your own age. Indeed your view on this matter deserves nothing cuz you're trying to make people believe some thing that didn't really happen. Forget the IFs and wake up. Nothing happened, bro. Go home, every thing is fine.

Hypothetical situations, hypocritical people! :peace:

We are talking about the world's best army, world's best air force, and how can this happen ? It can not be a mistake because if you are best in the world you can not make such a stupid mistake. So there must be something unknown behind this.

Mistakes happen, :cen: happens too, even if u r the best of the best! In comparison to the other world's armed forces, I think this mistake was just a simple mistake of the past.

Check the type of mistakes happening in Russia, China, Iran, .... and then you'll sleep better at nights

Last edited by a moderator:
AND........................................................

A mistake with nukes can't be passed off with an "Oh well Oops."

Someone needs to hang for it. Plain and simple.

So the air craft posed no danger because it wasn't overflying populated areas? You don't have to be at ground zero for nukes to ruin yer weekend.

Further I see no smear campaign nor anti-military comments. However let's keep the rear area perso bashing to a minium gentlemen rear area perso's are people too.

And perhaps some of us can learn from this and stop wearing our emotions on our sleeve.

Fair enough?

Mistakes happen, :cens: happens too, even if u r the best of the best!
The only difference being, that when these mistakes do happen we must acknowledge the fact and not try to sweep it under the rug by saying that it is merely a "simple" mistake.

That is exactly the type of response that will bring discredit on the military,.... not coming clean about the matter.

Last edited:
I am not anti-military nor am I considered anywhere near the political left.
Remember that consistently when it came to the whole political left vs right thing, I've always been on the conservative side. This matter however, has nothing to do with politics. It's a major screw up in military procedure. Many of the people you see here that I am agreeing with are people I normally disagree with.
Also of the guys who are opposing you here, I think everyone who is seriously opposed to what you say served in the military and know more about nuclear weapons than you do. My MOS was NBC as well (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical), which is why I got that on my "Gear" box.
I have not bashed the USAF as a whole, rather those individuals who have screwed up and now stained the Air Force's reputation. Sometimes I do bash the Air Force but that's because I'm a Marine.

Check the type of mistakes happening in Russia, China, Iran, .... and then you'll sleep better at nights

I think we expect a higher standard than these three characters.

Last edited:
Back