It ain't good, folks. Wife has cancer. But I am sober. - Page 4

--
Boots

November 4th, 2011  
Del Boy

Sorry -just picked up on this AZ - will be praying for you.
November 22nd, 2011  
AZ_Infantry

Sorry it has been so long since I posted.

The surgery was completed on the 18th, no complications, no visual cues of further cancer in the surrounding tissue left from the conical biopsy. They removed her cervix, uterus, fallopian tubes (both), ovaries (both) and all lymph nodes.

The incision area looks good: 28 staples, from almost the top of the vagina to about 3 inches above her navel, no leaking or redness or infection to mention (there is always a little, so it's expected below certain levels, and Brandy is way below).

They are going to remove the epidermal and the PCA today, leaving her on oral medication only. The Foley will probably come out tomorrow morning, meaning that barring any setbacks we'll be allowed to leave late Wednesday afternoon. No bowel movements yet, but she only went back to solid food yesterday and has thus far had nothing but three fruit cups and a half a bagel with cream cheese. She's passing gas just fine, which means her system is working, and Dr. Keyhoe said that most people don't poop following this type of surgery for a week, sometimes more.

So in all, everything looks fantastic, praise You Jesus! There are still several milestones to go -- regular bowel movements, ambulating without assistance, increased diet, and etc. -- but the biggest hurdle next is awaiting the pathology report which will tell us if she needs radiation or chemo. That takes about a week post-surgery, not including the oncology team meeting with the pathology team to determine a treatment outline, so realistically we should have a plan by the middle of next week or so.

We should be home by Thanksgiving if things continue as they have been, though Brandy won't be able to indulge in the holiday because her stomach is so shrunk she can't fit anything more than a small cup of fruit right now. But it does mean we will be there to spend it with the kids, and that is what is keeping her pushing forward to the most speedy recovery possible.

More later as updates are available. Thank you all for your support and prayers!
November 22nd, 2011  
BritinAfrica

I am so pleased AZ
--
Boots
November 22nd, 2011  
bigcanada813

That is really good to hear AZ!
November 22nd, 2011  
viper2007

I am glad that things are looking up, friend! Lets hope that this good tiding will continue...

We are all with you, bro!
November 23rd, 2011  
rattler

Rattler
November 23rd, 2011  
AZ_Infantry

We are home now

Still a long journey with pathology and etc., but we are home and for now home, albeit simple, is ours to hold to. Brandy is passed out on the couch, and I am close in following as soon as I get the bags unpacked, dinner done, a shower, then home chores finished.

She is doing great! Now to wait for the rest of everything. For tonight though, I am going to unpack, shower, cook dinner, eat, finish the chores, and relax. Brandy beat me to it and is asleep on the couch, but there's your Oxycontin for you, lol.

I will come back tomorrow and express some things I have been meaning to. The support here has been way beyond my ability to adequately thank you all for, but I will have my words about me tomorrow. For tonight, I need food, a shower and rest.

I hope it isn't cheesy when I say I love you all and I am oh, so thankful. But I do, and I am, and so does and is Brandy. See you tomorrow.
November 24th, 2011  
jillyz12

That is all such wonderful news, AZ! Thanks be to God for seeing you both through everything. Even though you're undoubtedly wiped out, I hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving. And don't forget...if Brandy has to take chemo and has any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer those that I can since I went through treatment last year.

God bless,
Jill